Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

What are your feelings about Pullers at shows?

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 4646 times

Old 09-18-2012, 06:50:49 PM
Registered

Default What are your feelings about Pullers at shows?

I am intesrested to know, how do others feel about shows having tractor pulling? I have my feelings about this. Before I share mine I would like to see what others think. Good or bad makes no difference, your thoughts and why.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16:11 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,270 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: What are your feelings about Pullers at shows?

We have another local club that is all about pulling and for me I could have cared less... but this year at our big show (the county fair) the wife went to the pulls with all us guys and thought it was great! Now she wants her own tractor to pull with, so later this winter I will be rebuilding a Ford 2n for her to Pull with next year, for me I am just glad that it is one more thing that interest the wife that is associated with my hobby of collecting fossil fuel powered equipment...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,127 Times in 357 Posts

At Alexander Steam Show we have a lot of people who come for the tractor pulls. We just spent $10,000 for another section of bleachers. We also do a horse pull on Thursday night. It had the biggest bleacher crowd we have ever had for the horse pull.
From my perspective as Gate Chairman the biggest problem is all the pick up trucks who claim to be the pit crew for somebody. Our rules say you must be a member to pull. Signs say have your membership card or $6 ready. The other problem is that not everyone who claims to be a pit crew can park in the pit area. We have a big spectator lot around the corner and trams to bring people to the track area. Putting someone on the road in a safety vest is the only way to control the gate. Vehicles will come down the road with their blinkers on and as soon as they see someone at the pit entrance they take the blinkers off and follow the signs for parking. it takes 3 volunteers to control this gate before pulling time.
Dave Mischler www.alexandersteamshow.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveMisch For This Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11:36 PM
Registered

Do you want to grow your show or neuter it? Different people are interested in different things but the one thing they all have in common is they are paying to come to your show. The more you can offer, the more people you can attract, the more your show can grow.

I am not a tractor pulling fan or participant. But I recognize that limiting your show to this or that will kill it eventually.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason W For This Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21:52 PM
Registered

If you have the room, insurance, manpower, ect, do it! As said before lots of people really enjoy the pulls and helps the attendance. I have seen the space problems, where do the semis park, now the antiques are blocked in and also see the "pit crew" throw weights off the tractor into another pickup to get closer pit parking and it can make a royal mess. Overall though I enjoy the horses, steamers, hot tractors and 4wd trucks (ain't they pretty when they get broken) and have paid entry to many pulls.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43:39 AM
Registered

Thank you all for your comments. So here are mine, sorry if they sound harsh. I believe pullers will wreck these shows. From my experience they take and give nothing. They really do not support the shows, for them its only about pulling. Back a couple of years ago, One puller said everyone cheats to try to win, you just modify everything inside the Engine where no one can see it. Is this where we want to go?
The Following User Says Thank You to 20minnie For This Post: