Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

FM Z engines

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 778 times

Old 10-26-2002, 12:17:41 AM
CJ Winslow

Default FM Z engines

Ok, I will try this again. I have a couple FM Z engines that I am working on putting together. I could really use a few pictures of the linkages for the exhaust valve as well as the governor setup. I am working on both a throttler as well as a hit and miss model, sop pictures of either one or both would be greatly appreciated. These engines are so common that I am sure some of you guys with digital cameras could get me some pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CJ Winslow
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2002, 12:30:41 AM
BobRR

Default Re: FM Z engines

what year,style and HP.?BobRR
Old 10-26-2002, 12:35:53 AM
CJ Winslow

These are dishpan models, with the head and sparkplug. 1.5 hp.

Thanks - CJ
Old 10-26-2002, 12:54:17 AM
BobRR

I'll try and get a picts. of the one on my hit&miss over the weekend.BobRR
Old 10-26-2002, 12:13:16 PM
Darryl Boyd

CJ,

Well all I have in my files are some crummy photos of it, but they will get you started untill someone shoots some better.

See link below.

It's tough to get photos of that area without removing the battery box and fly wheel.

Hope this helps more than hurts!!! LOL

Darryl

http://www.boydhouse.com/darryl/chug...er3/index.html
Old 10-26-2002, 02:21:35 PM
Russ Hughes

I have heard several times that the dishpan flywheel model "Z" is quite common. Just an observation though, at the several shows I have attended in Washington State in the last few years, I havent seen any of these engines show up.

I have a 2 Hp FM Model "Z" throttle governed that is close to running since I found the carburetor, or mixer, or whatever they call it. Now about all I need is the fuel tank and maybe I can finish the job.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:35:38 PM
Subscriber

Since we're on the subject of FBM dishpan engines, my friends Art Devisser & Warren Jackey and I went to a farm auction today. One of us just had to bring this engine home with us. Well, I lucked out.. It's a barn fresh 2 hp Model Z throttle gov. with magneto,crank guard, oiler, base and a good gas tank. No muffler, but is free and has good compression and has been stored for years.. I also have its twin brother in a Hit & Miss with batt.& buzz coil.. It ain't no sideshaft but I'll take it!!!

Old 10-26-2002, 08:16:50 PM
Joe A

HI John-

Not that it needs it but that engine is suposed to be green. The mag fired dishpans were green, the battery fired ones were red. Also the battery fired ones only came in 1/1/2 HP and 3 HP I believe that the mag fired ones came in 1/1/2, 2, and 3 HP.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 10-27-2002, 12:00:14 AM
BobRR

My battery fired one is 2hp. BobRR
Old 10-27-2002, 02:49:35 AM
Russ Hughes

Golly, except for the color, it looks just like my engine. One might say yours is port side and mine is starboard side colors in nautical terms.