Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Name some of the best shows

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 1764 times

Old 02-16-2003, 06:09:05 PM
KBeitz

Default Name some of the best shows

Starting with the best....

1. Its gotta be Jacktown Pennsylvania

2. Loyalsock Pennsylvania

3. Coolsprings Pennsylvania

4. Pennscave Pennsylvania

5. Drums Pennsylvania

6. Sonestown Pennsylvania

7. Washingtonville Pennsylvania

8. Millville Pennsylvania

9. Hughsville Pennsylvania
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2003, 06:20:27 PM
Mike in NC

Default Re: Name some of the best shows

Rough & Tumble Kinzers, PA
Old 02-16-2003, 06:46:01 PM
Allen

A LOT depends on your judging criteria. None of yours are on my list.

I have a list of "Must see" shows for people that love old machinery, in no particular order:

1. Midwest - Old Settlers, Mt Pleasant Ia.

2. National Threshers, Wauseon Oh.

3. Steam Era, Milton Ont.

4.Oklahoma Steam & Gas, Pawnee, Ok

5. Western Minn Steam Threshers, Rollag, Minn.

There are also several in England, but since most guys won't get to see them, so I'll save the space.

-OTOH- There are others that are not "must see", but rather just "super friendly"

1. Chickentown Steam & Gas is a cute little show down by Somerset, Pa.

2. Stumptown Steam Threshers in New Athens Oh.

3. Mad River S&G in Urbana Oh is trying like crazy to rebuild, last year they did almost everything "right", but there were simply too few people (exhibitors, and spectators) there.

4. The Hit 'n Miss shindig in Orwell, Oh. - even though he could use a couple steamers

Funny thing is MOST shows seem to be worth the trip for one reason or another. There are only a few that have gotten on my "never again" list.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:20:16 PM
John Hammink

As an old iron lover from the other side of the pond , I would say:

1. PORTLAND, IN.

2. MIDWEST-OLD SETTLERS Mt PLEASANT, IA.

3. MISSOURI RIVER VALLEY BOONVILLE, MO.

4. R & V SHOW EAST MOLINE, ILL.

That's what I can make in just 30 days.

"Sixm" John
Old 02-16-2003, 07:29:54 PM
Chris Kirk

Nobody has mentioned the Fall show in Kent, CT at the Sloane-Stanley museum. Although it's not huge, the museum has one of the best collections of large industrial engines, i.e. Oil Field Engines, steam engines, power plant engines (aside from Cool Springs, of course) not to mention a very respectable collection of old tractors and road construction equipment. There's also a (small) mining museum, and a fully operational steam train. The show usually has enough vendors to keep anyone busy for the day. I'd highly recommend the show to anyone in this neck of the woods, not to mention that it usually happens around foliage season.

Chris
Old 02-16-2003, 08:08:56 PM
Tim Claremont

Canandaigua, New York is a good show as well, but it is hard to picture it when I am sitting here with a wind chill of 15 below zero.

Amamzing. It could warm up 47 degrees and it would still be freezing outside...
Old 02-16-2003, 08:09:35 PM
John Rolli

In my next of the woods (CT) its got to be in this order for me Kent CT-Huge for sure,and growing by leaps&bounds Tobacco Valley Flywheelers-Haddam CT Belltown-E.Hampton CT Dublin N.H-Big time huge Orange MA-great show Bernardston MA-Ditto Quinibaug Valley Engineers Assoc-CT Brooklyn tractor show-Brooklyn CT They are all great shows in their own right,just some things make each a little better than others and vice versa.John.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:03:02 PM
Jim H

Default some of the best shows....

In my opinion, are not the big ones. People get lost in a big show. Smaller shows, like the one I went to in Fort Ransome, North Dakota for example,were great for the atmosphere. There were probably 20-30 engines running, with another 30-40 on display. But watching the one run a corn sheller, watching horses plow a field, old foot operated woodworking equipment, quilting, ice cream making, the parade with old cars, horses pulling wagons, etc, that was missed if you turned away or blinked-but you could tell that everyone was having a great time! I knew that just about everybody knew everybody else (except me-being 1400 miles from home), but they were just as friendly to me as their neighbor. Same experience at other small shows. I look to the big shows to see the really rare stuff and the opportunity to find that part I was looking for and run into others that I know will be there, but for the atmosphere and enjoyment of sharing with others, I'll take small shows anyday. Maybe I'm just too hometown or believe in Andy Griffith, but its not just the engines for me-it is also the people.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:36:19 PM
John Davidson

If you have ever been to the BADGER STEAM & GAS ENGINE Show in Baraboo WI, you would say it is one of the best as I do.

COOLSPRINGS and PORTLAND are also on my list.

http://www.enginads.com/showdaze.cgi?read=519
Old 02-16-2003, 10:43:28 PM
Gary P.

Hay John, what happened to Sussex?
Old 02-16-2003, 11:22:37 PM
Bud Cunningham

Dont forget about the West Virginia Oil & Gas Festival at Sistersville.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:10:45 AM
Doug Waggonner

My fav's are Pawnee steam and gas assoc, Catoosa's route66 Flywheelers show, and the Oklahoma antique tractor and engine show in Broken Arrow Okla. Because there all here in my neck of the woods.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:15:46 AM
Randy Ackley

Badger Steam & Gas Engine Show at Baraboo, WI & The Almelund Threshing Show at Almelund, MN, are probably our two favorites. We also really like some of the smaller shows, in the area.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:06:24 AM
CJ Winslow

Is there a Spring show in kent?

CJ
Old 02-17-2003, 07:47:45 AM
John Rolli

Its more plowwing with tractors in the lower field but the buildings up top are open.John.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:14:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,926 Times in 1,741 Posts

Me , I like Jacktown.com (Bangor, Pa.), pageantofsteam.org (Canandaiguia, NY), Delaware Valley and the South Jersey Engine Show's, Steam-O-Rama (Windsor, Pa.), Hay Creek (Pa.), Kinzers to visit, Belltown, Ct. and ....... , all the others I can attend. Paul
Old 02-17-2003, 10:45:18 AM
Richard Jensen

Hello,

Here's my best shows!

#1 Otis Old Iron Days, Otis Ks #2 Winfield Ks #3 Goessel Ks #4 McClouth Ks

Thanks

Richard
Old 02-17-2003, 11:08:56 AM
Dean Suhr

Where are you Nebraska people ? Although I live in Arizona now, Camp Creek show at Waverly Nebraska is one of my favorites. They have it all and it is not so big you can't see it in a day. I do not like shows so large you can watch your dog run away for three days and can't do anything about it.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:31:13 PM
Tanner Remillard

How about out west here,

1. The great Oregon steam up at Brooks, Oregon, with a real nice old truck museum.

2. And the definate, Alan Schurmans iron ranch. What a collection he has . His place is a must see if ever in Ridgefield, Washington.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:34:08 PM
Will L

ROLLAG-- NO QUESTION!!