Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines > Steam Gauges and Whistles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Gauges and Whistles Antique steam gauges and whistles.

Steam Gauges and Whistles

Needing Valve for Crosby 6" Whistle

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 263 times

Old 11-14-2019, 02:31:17 PM
Registered

Default Needing Valve for Crosby 6" Whistle

I tried posting in the "Wanted" ads, but I couldn't. I figured this may be the next best place. I bought a Crosby 6" Whistle and it is missing the valve. Does anybody have any good leads, or perhaps a valve that I could buy?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2019, 10:29:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,948 Times in 919 Posts
Default Re: Needing Valve for Crosby 6" Whistle

Is that going on a traction engine? If so I'll assume 6" tall rather than diameter. So you have a 1/2" maybe 3/4" NPT inlet?

I've only had originals so far, but both Lunkenheimer and United Brass make them, and should be easy to find new or used in those sizes.

Else, as you're probably already checking: Ebay may surface something original - even a whistle with heavy damage, but good looking valve may do for you.

In a pinch you can spring load a ball valve, but tough to make it look original. Also, hard to make that rotation as quick acting as the globe seat without a requiring some stiff pull against the spring.

What glitch did the EngineAds listing give you?
Old 11-15-2019, 01:07:05 PM
Registered

Bahahaha! That's where you're wrong! It's a 6" Diameter Whistle I bought off of the Pete Warzynski Auction by Nixon Auctioneers. Gib brought it up for my wedding.

It appears to be a 1.5" thread opening. I guess the valves were separate on the "railroad whistles " than the smaller ones. Even just trying to find a generic valve this large has been a pain!

I'm not quite sure as far as the "wanted ad" went, but it didn't give me a place to post or make a new thread even after refreshing a few times.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3HorseRocky For This Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 02:38:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,948 Times in 919 Posts

A 6" whistle and you didn't post pictures?! I didn't follow the auction, but I suspect that means that a little sticker shock on the valve should be small potatoes. With Jowetts down your way, you could double check, but I don't think UBW goes that big on a whistle valve. Lunkenheimer should be available yet.

IIRC, you need to separately log in to EngineAds, even if logged into smokstak with the same credentials, or you won't see the buttons to create a new ad.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:01:14 AM
Registered

Yeah yeah, I need to get savvy on this forum lol
After doing some real measuring and test fitting, it is in fact a 1 1/4 fitting, however; it also would appear this whistle DOES in fact have a built in valve, but it is missing all of its internals. So, I have the option to try to piece a valve assembly together, or find something to thread on in a pinch for the time being. Although I paid handsomely for the whistle, I will admit that I was still a bit floored when looking at valve prices. It should be a bit better now that I'm looking a "tad" smaller, but it's not going to help the ole wallet very much!

I did go ahead and try to upload a pic. Its not the best as it was a quick shot for a friend of mine while it was sitting in my truck! But that should at least satisfy you somewhat lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_163105.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	349452  
The Following User Says Thank You to 3HorseRocky For This Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 03:51:09 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,863 Times in 653 Posts

Before you look into a new valve, can a valve be made for the one you have? Most likely, the old valve got too leaky and the operator couldn't grind it to seat, thus replaced it with a new valve up stream. So long as the valve seats haven't been damaged, a new valve spool, spring, fulcrum & handle and it'll perform as new. This, provided you, or a friend, can do some machining.

Yes, larger valves are commanding larger dollars. Welcome to the financial strains of collecting whistles !
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete LaBelle For This Post: