eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

My auction listing removed by eBay!

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 7913 times

Old 05-10-2008, 05:49:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,889 Times in 1,083 Posts
Default Re: My listing removed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcjudge View Post
I put a brass carb on ebay 3 times. It looked exactly like a Lunkenheimer but didn't have the Lunkenheimer name on it. So I advertised it at "Brass Carb 3/4 inch not Lunkenheimer". They pulled it after it had run for 3 days (and had bids). I then put it back on there stating "Brass Carb 3/4 inch like Lunkenheimer". They pulled it again. Then I put on there "Brass Carb 3/4 inch similar to Lunkenheimer" and they pulled it again. I put it back on the shelf. Strange thing is you can go to ebay and type in "not" and it will bring up thousands of listings where people have put "not GM" or "not Ford" etc. I don't know what the difference is between that and "not Lunkenheimer".
The next time you want to use what they call keyword spamming just leave out the words not, like, similar to, etc. Include lunkenheimer in the title and then clearly state in the description that it doesn't say lunkenheimer on it. Ebay is funny this way. They seem to let the extra brand names in the title go if you simply leave out the wird "not" or similar.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2008, 05:53:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,889 Times in 1,083 Posts
Default Re: My auction listing removed by eBay!

I believe Ebay does not own Craigs List at this time. They do own 20% of it and they would like to own the rest and now there is some disagreement between the 2 of them.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:08:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,900 Times in 3,758 Posts

In some cases all it takes is for one jerk to complain about a listing and then ebay checks into it and if they find the 'keyword spamming' they will pull the listing. Once they have pulled it and you relist it I suspect they automatically check it out to make sure you're in 'compliance'.
Like others have said, there are thousands of other auctions running the words not, like, similar to, same as, etc etc etc, that don't get pulled.
You try to be honest and say it's not whatever, but some duffus files a complaint about it because it showed up during their search and they didn't want want to be 'bothered' with having to look at your stuff.
I listed a 1942 Packard grille a couple years ago that I listed as good, but not concourse quality. Some uppity snob looking for concourse quality NOS parts complained that they accidently found my listing in their search so eBay pulled it. I was free to leave the word NOT within the listing, but not in the title.
I read someone elses old car grille auction once that stated in their listing that it was relisted due to someone complaining that they jokingly stated "not Webber" in their title, and soomeone found it while looking for webber charcoal grilles. Pretty sad when your not allowed to have a sence of humor.

EBay is getting real strict with the listings that even mention checks or Money Orders. Even if you state that their policy still allows buyers that don't have a PayPal account yet to 'request' making payment with a Money Order, eBay will find it and make you remove the Money Order reference. You can say "other" payment options by request of bidder, but don't even think about saying money order.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:21:50 PM
Registered

eBay's control constantly becomes more severe...if only someone else would start a similar on line buying and selling site you can believe that eBay would loose 50% if not more of their business. I started with eBay the first month they were in operation and it was great, rates were reasonable and you could sell whatever you wanted too and get paid however you wanted without this "big brother" interference we have now....this beginning attitude is what made them a great site but not today...sure wish I had the smarts and $$$ as I would challenge that site with my own. I have a lot of friends who use eBay and NOT ONE is happy with this site.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:27:35 AM

Default Re: My listing removed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWC View Post
EBay recently bought Craigslist so they would still get your money. They pretty much have a monopoly on the online auction business so we're sort of stuck with their ignorant rules.
How can they make money off something that is free?? There are no fees for For Sale ads on Craigslist. More over, I think they are only part owners of Craigslist.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:33:02 PM

Having just visited eBay and having some none engine related stuff (Woman's shoes) come up on my Hit Miss search, I decided to visit eBay's listing policies. Having read about "Key Word Spamming", I think I can understand why some of the listings have been removed.
For instance Tommy's Lunkenheimer listing. Since the item is not a Lunkenheimer, they feel that having the word in there is considered Spamming because the item is not a Lunkenheimer. Now, if he listed it as being "compatible with" Lunkenheimer they should have left the listing alone. The same goes with the hit miss deal on throttle govern items. Take the time to read and you can beat them at their own game. I'm not saying it is right, but...

I'm going to include the link to the page. Make sure you click on the "Additional Information" and "Why does eBay have this policy?"

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ipulation.html

Oh, spfx_dude, this could give you the ammunition you need to report those none hit miss topic titles. The one thing to remember though is that you don't have much room to go into detail as to why you think the listing should be removed.