eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

Today's eBay Rant...

this thread has 58 replies and has been viewed 6617 times

Old 06-18-2009, 11:12:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,905 Times in 3,759 Posts
Default Re: Today's eBay rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsky View Post
I mentioned the following on another thread, which might have something to do with this positive feedback issue:

I got an e-mail today from the seller asking me to give him good feedback, because otherwise he cant get his money. I haven't sold anything on E-Bay for a long time, and I wasnt aware of this (new?) policy. It appears that if you dont have much history, (or maybe even if you do) they hold the money until the buyer gives the OK by leaving good feedback. Soo... since my money hasnt gone through yet, I filed a claim of dispute on the item and ended the auction.

E-Bay's new policy (at least in my case) really helped me get my money back. I had no idea the guy couldnt get his money until I gave him positive feedback.... or 21 days had passed, whichever came first.

This new policy might eliminate a lot of bad feedback, because if you dont like the item for any legitimate reason, you simply make a claim on the guy and get your money back instead of complaining about it publicly. E-Bay keeps notes on any complaint. In my case, I was awarded a complete refund within 36 hours.
Sounds like the guy had a problem with negative feedback from selling junk and was using that VERY LAME Story to trick you into leaving him positive feedback before he even shipped anything to you. He may also have ended up just taking your money and not ever ship anything at all. Scam artist don't last very long on there, but if they can rip off a few people and disapear without a trace I guess they did their mama proud.

There NEVER has been any kind of policy where a payment doesn't go through because of not leaving feedback for a seller. The ONLY TIME there is any kind of a waiting period of PayPal payment going through is when you use your checking account instead of your credit card, and then it's usually 3-4 business days to verify the funds have cleared your bank, which is no different than if you mailed a check and their bank tells them to wait 3 or 4 days to make sure the check clears. If a buyer uses PayPal making the payment with their checking account, the seller get an e-mail notice from PayPal that an e-payment has been made and gives them an 'expected' clearance date which is usually 3-4 days. When the check clears, PayPal sends them another notice informing them that the payment has cleared and it is safe to ship the item. If you make a PayPal payment using your credit card it is an INSTANT Payment and the seller should ship the same day or the next business day depending on what time of day you make the payment. Feedback from the buyer has Nothing to do with the process. That was just a scam artist trying to buy himself a better feedback rating and a little more time before getting banned from eBay. If you remember his user ID, try looking him up, I'd guess he's no longer on there as a registered user.

One thing PayPal has always done was protect the buyer, unless the seller somehow scams them into believing their story over yours which happened to me once costing me $1200.00 + credit card interest for an engine that was listed as pickup only and then I could never get an address out of the guy on where to pick it up at. For whatever reason PayPal ended backing that SOB and I never got my engine or my money back. He did eventually get banned after ripping of six other people for several hundred dollars each and changing his user ID three times , but that still didn't get me my money back.

They have made some changes and now protect you as a buyer whether you use credit card or checking account, and more recently, somehow claim to protect sellers as well???
eBay's feedback policy was changed last summer so SELLERS CAN NO LONGER LEAVE NEGATIVE Feedback for buyers keeping them from leaving retalitory feedback if a buyer left them rightfully deserved negative for not shipping an item or shipping something of much lower quality than described, etc.etc. Unfortunitely that also prevents honest sellers from leave a buyer rightfully deserved negative feedback if they bid and then don't pay which happens quite often. Then only thing a seller can do then is to file a non paying bidder dispute and if the buyer still doesn't pay they get a STRIKE against them. If they get enough strikes they get removed from eBay.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 11:40:35 PM
Subscriber

Craig:

I don't know what happened that they would have taken $5.00 from your account and the re-deposited it, but back when I upgraded mine I opened a second checking account at my bank that I only use for PayPal transactions. When I went through the verifying proccess they deposited two small random amounts like maybe $0.17 and $0.39 and then sent me an e-mail for me to respond to telling me to check my checking account to look for the deposits and then enter the amounts deposited to verify that they had been made. That's how they verify your account which eliminates the $2000.00 spending limit that you get with them when you first register and get 'confirmed' with your credit card.

Everything is supposedly encripted and secure, but I still only use the separate checking account I opened just for PayPal, and I only keep a few dollars in that account when I'm not using it. I'm not going to give them my regular checking account number. I normally used the credit card for purchaces anyway by clicking on the link for other or alternative payment methods or however it's listed.

You just about need to have a checking account listed with them though if you're going to sell anything and take PayPal payments. Granted you can have them mail you a check, but I think there is a fee involved there. With a checking account registered with them, you just click on a link and have it transfered into your account. It will show up as pending until your bank confirms that it was deposited, but there again, it's quicker than waiting for a check, and then waiting another 3-5 days for the check to clear before you can draw against it. Or you can leave it in your PayPal account and earn a few cents interest on it there before tapping into it to buy something before your credit card kicks in for the balance.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:52:03 PM
Subscriber

Craig:

I forgot to mention.... the DEFAULT setting should be your PayPal account, if there is any money in it, and then the remaining amount would be drawn from your bank account unless you click on the 'other' payment method link. There's supposed to be something there so that if there isn't enough money in your bank account that it would then take the remaining amount from your credit card, but I did run into trouble there once when I made a payment and ended up with my 'small "eBay" checking account' (that I opened just for PayPal) overdrawn buy a couple dollars. Luckily I caught that right away and straightened it out at my bank before they imposed any fee's, but I never did figure out how it went through with 'insufficient funds'
Old 06-19-2009, 12:33:54 AM
Registered

Completely off paypal topic but has anyone been piped at the post ie some one puts a big bid in at the last second? and you dont get time to bid....

Cheers, Will
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12:38 AM
Subscriber

They call that SNIPING and like it or not it's perfectly legal.

Some people bid early and bid often, some people make one bid at the maximum amount they're willing to pay and hope no one runs them up and some people wait till the last minute or the last second to bid and hope that they get their bid in in time. You need a good high speed conection to that though, slow dialup can take 20 seconds to a minute or more for your bid to go through and you might end up missing out on getting something. There are programs that claim to enter your bid for you at the very last second, but I don't know if they actually work or not. What happens if everyone uses them? If twenty people enter their bids at the exact same time would it make the system crash ? In cases where there are TIE bids, the one that bid that amount first gets the item.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:00:36 AM
Registered

That last few seconds bidding crap should be banned, if you can't watch or bid on an item like everyone else then don't bid, it happens alot and if you watch most times its by the same crowd, too scared to enter a bid until the last seconds.

My 2 cents

Brian
Old 06-19-2009, 03:41:31 PM
Subscriber

On the subject of "sniping" -- other online auctions where I bid, implement a function where, if a bid is received in the la 2 or 3 minutes of the auction, the auction end time is extended for five minutes more. This eliminates the "sniping" advantage and generates more money for the seller. I have never understood why evilbay has never implemented this feature -- it looks to me like it would generate more money for them.

Last edited by Handlebar99; 06-19-2009 at 03:42:49 PM. Reason: correct spelllling
Old 06-19-2009, 05:28:49 PM
Sky

It's not necisary to have extended time. As mentioned like it or not sniping is perfectly legal. Even public auctions have a method of sniping. Dont complain if the money you got isnt enough from the auction. If thats the case the auction should have been reserved or money amount of what HAD to be had out of the item. Now i've been a sniper and i've been a snip-ee. Doesnt matter to me. I get paid and i can put it out too. Snipers snipe not becouse there afraid. I've sniped becouse i try to avoid over paying of what the item is (what i feel) really worth. Doesnt really matter if you snipe or not though. It's how much $$ you bring to the table. You could be the best sniper in the world and be out bid by the first guy becouse you only intend to snipe at say, 100 and the original bidder has an untouched 500 down and visa versa. Now im not one to point fingers but if anyone lost due to a normal bidder or worse yet a sniper which all seem to fear, dont be a sore loser. I've lost many of auctions. Some of which i REALLY wanted but i've found something else, else were or found another auction or simply forgot about it. Maybee i didnt need it after all. There comes a time when you have to CALL an auction. You cant keep extending it becouse your not satisfied your not winning. I suspect thats why ebay hasnt implied such a thing.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:31:44 PM

Thanked 20,771 Times in 6,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Craig:

I forgot to mention.... the DEFAULT setting should be your PayPal account,
That isn't the issue......the paypal funding SOURCE was the issue.......which BECAUSE I WAS VERIFIED I could not change the default TO my credit which is what I wanted.
So I removed my checking account. Problem solved.
As for the $5 thing........if you don't access an account how do you know it's real?.......
Old 06-19-2009, 10:17:22 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,867 Times in 7,565 Posts

I don't get the use of the word sniping - you make it sound like a bad thing with all this talk about legal or illegal! It is an auction for heaven's sakes.
It has been a while since I have bought anything on ebay but I have always waited until the last possible second to place a bid! (And that was a hit or miss thing with my slow speed!). My view is, why start bidding up an item you might want, days before it ends? That doesn't make any sense unless you are the seller!??!
Even at an auction sale, I have come in late when it seems like there is a chance to get an object within my price range (and that ain't too damn often anymore!)!
G.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 06-19-2009, 10:31:14 PM

If I really want something I run 2 windows and have a separate digital clock running as well counting the seconds so I can fire in my maximum bid about 5 seconds before the end of the auction........he who hesitates loses.
I think sniping programs are a little sneaky and don't LIKE them or use them........but Ebay will do the same for FOR you anyway......so what's the dif?.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 06-22-2009, 04:50:27 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus_k6 View Post
That last few seconds bidding crap should be banned, if you can't watch or bid on an item like everyone else then don't bid, it happens alot and if you watch most times its by the same crowd, too scared to enter a bid until the last seconds.

My 2 cents

Brian
I don't know about banning the whole process of sniping, but it would be nice if they could somehow block the automated programs that bid for you.

Like SKY says in another post here, I too have been a "sniper and a snipe-ee" and like SKY says if the opening bidder bids $500.00 and a sniper sneeks in a $100.00 bid at the last second, the opening bidder still gets it for less than his maximum bid, so I guess the moral here is Bid What It's Worth To You whether you're the first bidder or the last bidder.

As for the "too scared" comment though, I can vouch for that, as I know one person that refuses to even put items on his 'watch list' on eBay because he's so damn paranoid that someone is watching what he's looking at, even making the comment "why should I do all the work looking for something just for some other lazy SOB to bid on something I did the research on". So he keeps a little notebook with all of the auction numbers and the times the auctions end and snipes at the last minute so "all of the people watching him" don't have time to react.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:00:56 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Anderson View Post
That isn't the issue......the paypal funding SOURCE was the issue.......which BECAUSE I WAS VERIFIED I could not change the default TO my credit which is what I wanted.
So I removed my checking account. Problem solved.
As for the $5 thing........if you don't access an account how do you know it's real?.......
You lost me on part of that...., but maybe there was more in your original post on the subject than what I noticed too. I'm not sure what you mean by if you don't access an account how do know it's real?.... If you didn't access the account, how did you enter the dollar amount with eBay/PayPal to finish up getting Verified ?

Question: If you removed your checking account, are you still Verified and Confirmed , or did you revert back to be just Confirmed, but Not Verified ?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:59:10 PM

I have only "confirmed" status now. I don't need to be verified anyway since I sold the business nothing is that important.
As far as I'M concerned.......confirmed/verified......they get the money either way so I REALLY don't "get it".......
Old 06-23-2009, 10:45:21 PM
Subscriber

Not to keep beating a dead horse here, but have you used your credit card to pay for anything there after removing your bank account, or by being back to Confirmed only, did they enforce the $2000.00 spending limit on you again ?

I haven't checked into that in a long time now, Maybe now that they're 'PayPal ONLY' they don't have the spending limit anymore ????
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55:51 PM

I never had a limit FROM Paypal as I don't use a paypal card. I use my Mastercard as I always have and always will.
In my case Paypal is acting only as a transfer agent.......shuffling money.
Paypal HASN'T cost me a penny.......YET.......
Old 06-24-2009, 02:36:36 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Today's eBay Rant...

Unless they changed the rules over the years, everyone that ever signed up for PayPal had a $2000.00 spending limit imposed on them.

I used a credit card with $23,000.00 limit on it, but still had the $2,000.00 spending limit through PayPal. Buying $15.00 to $45.00 items it took 60-70 purchaces to eventually reach that limit at which time I had to add the bank account to remove the limit.

If you buy $500.00-$1,000.00 items then it would only take 2-4 winning bids to reach that limit. Some people may never reach the limit and never have to upgrade their account by adding the checking account. Some people could find themselves exceeding the limit on their first purchace in which case they either would have had to pay the seller by other payment methods or make them wait while they upgraded their account so they could continue with the paypal payment, or end up being a Non Paying Bidder because they weren't able to complete the transaction.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:23:56 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Default Re: Today's eBay Rant...

That is how it worked for us also. I always pay by credit card instead of my bank account that I used to be verified, except one time I missed by not changing the funding source when completing the transaction, a small dollar amount. The bank account that I used for verification is only used for e-checks with transfers in and payments out.

This you won't believe but a few months ago I goofed on paying a credit card bill by paying twice and overdrew that checking account. I didn't even realize it. A few days passed and we got a letter from our bank stating that the account was overdrawn by several hundred dollars. I said I couldn't believe that they hadn't called instead of mailing the notification. Their reply was "we knew you'd make it good". I immediately transferred funds on-line to cover the over drawal. There was no penalty fee! It's great having home town banking!!! Helen
Old 06-24-2009, 06:43:41 PM

Thumbs up Re: Today's eBay Rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
except one time I missed by not changing the funding source when completing the transaction
THAT, Helen, is PRECISELY WHY I got all ticked off at Paypal in the first place except I DID check the box but it didn't stick and the funds came from my checking account. It didn't matter all that much but it ticked me off because I COULD NOT change the primary funding source as long as I was verified.

I fixed THAT detail.......