eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

PayPal Question

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 2875 times

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 03:51:52 PM
Bill Decker

Default PayPal Question

I've been kicking around the idea of using PayPal to pay for eBay purchases I was wondering if anyone ever had any problems using PayPal I've been hesitant for different reasons, but have been reconsidering due to the fact items will get to me a little faster, depending on the seller of course and will save me a trip to the postoffice. Thanks in advance.

Bill in chilly N.J.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2003, 04:06:08 PM
Hank Bahmer

Default Re: PayPal Question

I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay, and much prefer to pay by Paypal. It is fast, and I use discover card which gets me a rebate as well.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:06:57 PM
Bill Sherlock

I've used PayPal for ebay purchases whenever the seller accepts that method of payment. Beats paying $5 for a money order from a bank or $3.75 from the post office. So far haven't had any problems. Touch wood.

Bill
Old 12-21-2003, 04:25:36 PM
Bill Decker

You pay $3.75 for a money order from the Postoffice?? I've only been paying .90 or .95 plus postage for the envelope. I dare say someone is ripping you off Got a money order from the bank once and that was enough
Old 12-21-2003, 04:31:21 PM
Franz

I've been using PayPal over the last 3 years for ePay and I even pay most of my bills with PayPal. I have the PayPal linked to a dedicated account at the bank, witch contains just enough funding to cover my transactions. Last I knew, PayPla is operated by WellsFargo Bank, so it's probably as safe as anything can be that involves the internet. The only problem I ever had with a non delivering seller, PayPal yanked his chain QUICK.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:34:32 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,655 Times in 2,545 Posts

Since PayPal was taken over by eBay, many improvements have been made. I have two accounts with them, one personal and one commercial. I've had no problems at all. Just recently, I converted my book store page to their shopping cart system and it has done great. It even prints the packing slip to go with the order.

Just one thing: don't fall prey to the many bogus emails you might get that ask for your password and other information. Look for the https: (meaning http secure) on a "fresh" browser window when you work with PayPal.

https://www.paypal.com/
Old 12-21-2003, 04:35:43 PM
Registered

Default RE: PayPal Questions

Bill~

I have been using PayPal since the day it was concieved and it has saved me BIG $ in both stamps & money order fees. I have paid for hundreds of items using PayPal and again, the only problem I have ever had has been with a seller.

~Keith in Delaware, OhiO
Old 12-21-2003, 04:47:05 PM
Bill Decker

I know all about those scams that get sent wanting info about a PayPal or eBay account. Funny, I haven't received any lately now that I think about it. Maybe that's good?
Old 12-21-2003, 04:52:25 PM
Bill Schaller

Default Re: RE: PayPal Questions

paypal is great, but there are a few things to watch out for. do not use your normal bank account with it, if you use a bank account, use one just set up for paypal, and make sure it will not allow overdraws. The same with a credit card. be very carful of scams, there are a lot of scams that try to get your paypal account info, and will steal everything they can. For a lot of info, do a search under "paypal sucks", "evil paypal", "paypal problems", etc on the web, there are web sights out there that tell all sorts of horror stories on both the seller and the buyer side. many of them involve the account being frozen, and the person cannot get their money out, or someone paying with a fake credit card, etc, and the money is gone. That is why you must not use your regular bank account, if something happens, you might not be able to make the mortgage payment.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:52:48 PM
Patrick Marsh

Go to paypalsucks.com and read a little. I Recommend Western Union Bidpay. Very easy to use and trustworthy.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:56:00 PM
John Hammink

Bill, that's the easiest way of paying for me. Since I use PayPal I saved lots of money and it's very handy, cause in a few minutes the whole transaction is done from behind my keyboard. Before, I had to send a cheque, but you can only order a cheque at the bank here, cost you 2-3 days (has to come from the headoffice) and the whole "circus" has a price-tag of $15.00. PayPal send me an e-mail that the transaction is done and I got the best rate of that moment. Never had any troubles sofar.

"Sixm" John
Old 12-21-2003, 05:46:28 PM
Scott Karjala

No problems here, For some reason Paypal wants your bank account and credit card info to give you a " CONFIRMED ADDRESS" status but I just gave them my bank account number. I have shipped numerous items to people with "UNCONFIRMED ADDRESSES" with no problem. Paypal also allows you to send an electronic check and sends notices to both parties when it goes out and clears. Good idea on the second bank account.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:07:04 PM
Bob (ND)

I don't know if the second bank account idea would help, or not. My bank has been known to screw up a deposit and put it in the wrong account, (even though the deposit included a deposit slip with the PROPER ACCOUNT NUMBER ON IT!) THEN they saw fit to suck the funds out of still another account to put in the first account, AND THEN they bounced 4 checks on the account they sucked the money out of.

(Oh well, they did agree to write letters to the people holding the "bounced" checks, admitting the whole fiasco was their (the bank's) fault!)

Another thing I can't quite fathom... we moved and changed addresses. A credit card payment of the wife's got missed in the shuffle. (She's beyond fastidious about that.) I was at the old house, moving stuff out and got a call from the credit card Co. stating the wife's payment had been missed, and I MUST do a check by phone to get the account current. I normally would not do this, but there was enough marital (or is that martial?) stress going on, and to eliminate one issue to deal with with the wife, I agreed to do the check by phone. I assumed there would be some confirmation, or request for an OK from my bank, but they just paid the electronic transfer, and it showed up on my next statement. There sure seems to be a big chance for fraud when it is that easy for a third party to suck money out of your bank account with no written authorization, or prior setup!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:37:09 PM
Al Wait

I wouldn't dream of using anything other than a USPS money order. It is well worth the $0.90. On a cheap item, I just mail it. On an expensive item I send it certified mail. Al Wait
Old 12-21-2003, 10:36:44 PM
Craig Anderson

PayPal is not only good for eBay purchases but is a REALLY EASY WAY to wish Harry a Merry Christmas and help him run OUR site!!!!!! P.S. the PayPal link is in the FAQs "What's this all about?" Craig
Old 12-21-2003, 11:10:15 PM
Paul Hokanson

Al: I totally agree with you. A postal M.O. is the only way I do it also. And I do it like you do, small amount regular mail, larger amount Certified, with a return signed reciept. Have never had a problem and do not expect one at anytime.

Cheers : Paul Hokanson
Old 12-21-2003, 11:39:39 PM
Don C. Wiley

I haven't had any problem with Paypal and I even send my Daughter and Son-in-law Christmas money via Paypal.

I think it saves me a lot of time and (gas) driving to the post office. I can come out to the shop and the computer and pay for my eBay purchases in less than a minute, no gas, oil and getting into a cold car or trying to cordinate a trip to town to do all that.

My penny's worth.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 12-22-2003, 05:21:55 AM
gasenginenut

pay pal is good for sellers and buyers on ebay and many other auction sites... i use my credit card for paying an ebay seller, ( i cannot bounce a check with a credit card)...i use my bank account for depositing my money that sell on ebay...i had a savings account in my sons name,,,, im sr and he is jr....i deposited $900 cash in my account, i had no dept slip... i asked the bank teller to deposit it in my savings acc, she wrote out the dept slip.,,, here 5 days later i was bouncing checks,,,, i could not figure that out, the checks were for $50,,,$100... $300... that was it,,,, well well here it was in my sons account...they said it was my fault..$30 a check X 3 = 90...use your dept slips.. never write them out...a second acc just for ebay, hmmmmm,,, just another acc to keep an eye on..just make sure you have enough funds to pay a seller..some sellers take pay pal only,,, no checks or money orders, PAY PAL ONLY, ever see those items...i like recieving pay pal. some people pay within an hour or 2,,, you can evan send money to other people with email addys,,,,remeber pay pal will never send you a email and ask for any personal info from you, such as password or acc no,s. also pay pal ships fast.sfsl,, engine nut
Old 12-22-2003, 06:41:15 PM
Keith Kinney

I'm to the point that unless I really really want an item I won't bid on it unless they accept PayPal. Been using it for years with no problems.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:02:21 PM
Leon Schwartz

The only time I ever had a problem with paypay is when my wife closed the bank account and failed to tell me........guess you could say I got cut off......LOLOLLOLO
Closed Thread