Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run. Also Locomotives nad Railroads.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Non-farm steam pics

this thread has 151 replies and has been viewed 90623 times

Old 03-21-2006, 11:12:06 AM
Registered

Default Re: Non-farm steam pics

I have some pics of a Keystone steam skimmer shovel and a few different drillers. I'll try to post some of them later today.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2006, 12:27:21 PM
Registered

1915 Model 3 Keystone Skimmer Shovel at Canfield Fair in 1999. I believe this is the last time it was shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer_1.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	7754   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer_2.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	7755   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer_3.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	7756   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer_4.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	7757  
Old 03-21-2006, 12:28:30 PM
Registered

More skimmer shovel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	skimmer_7.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	7758   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer_8.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	7759   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer_5.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	7760   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer_6.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	7761  
Old 03-21-2006, 03:49:51 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,265 Times in 2,127 Posts

This is the Stanley Brother's 1906 steam race car that broke the world land speed record with a run of 127.65 MPH on a Florida beach, February 10, 1906.

This shows the Stanley Steam car doing some PR.

This is what the car looked like on another run when it decided to discomboomolate (sp?).

This is the boiler of the Stanley Steamer, down the beach from the main wreckage. Operating in the area of 600 psi, witnesses said it "looked like a meteor" rolling along.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:13:20 PM
Registered

Since I am, and always have lived - landlocked, I am no authority, but this is a steam windlass from either a steamboat, which know had them, or a steam ship. I took this picture on the San Francisco Wharf several years ago.

This is another thing a landlocked guy wouldn't have known without looking at the pictures. Some old literature I have showed this.

Some other literature showed this steam quarry stone cutter and as I remember, it specified granite or marble. Maybe some headstone cutter has run one of these?

This is a poor old picture of a steam powered cement mixer.
Gary
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24:09 PM
Registered

These are all great pictures!! Here's one of the experimental Hornsby steam crawler. Its remains are residing in B.C. Enjoy,
Darryn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	steamcrawler3 sized.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	7769  
Old 03-21-2006, 07:28:51 PM
Registered

Okay, here's a quick question, folks. How do you post the nice big pictures instead of downsizing them into a "thumbnail"?? I have others, but it is a pain in the neck to keep re-sizing them so that they aren't too big, but not too small.
Thanks,
Darryn
Old 03-21-2006, 10:17:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmall_Doctor
These are all great pictures!! Here's one of the experimental Hornsby steam crawler. Its remains are residing in B.C. Enjoy,
Darryn
Darryn that crawler was rescued last summer by a group of dedicated people and was moved to its new home at The Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin. Its pretty amasing the size of it but all thats left on display is the track frame and boogie wheels. I heard that they are thinking about doing a static restoration on it. There was only 3 built and this is the only one left.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:11:29 AM
Jim Jake Templin

As much as I hate to see things go "over the pond", if all thats left are the tracks, I will guarantee that if the Brits had it they would rebuild it. There is at least one about half size modol of this crawler/engine over there (and its as big as a Cat D4), and the English still build new steam locomotives when they want.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:58:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmall_Doctor
Okay, here's a quick question, folks. How do you post the nice big pictures instead of downsizing them into a "thumbnail"?? I have others, but it is a pain in the neck to keep re-sizing them so that they aren't too big, but not too small.
Thanks,
Darryn
The big pix's like Garys.... He downloads them into his gallery (On Harry's) and then links to a specific one on a post/reply/thread.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:37:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,435 Times in 2,013 Posts

Courtesy of Floyd Clymer's Steam Car Scrapbook pertaining to the Stanley Steam Race car driven by Fred Marriott.

THE FASTEST CAR IN THE WORLD (Rate of 127.66 M.P.H.)

Description of car:
Wheelbase: 100".
Wheel thread:54".
Gear ratio: 82 teeth on driving gear, 48 teeth driven gear; wheel revolves 1 3/4 turns to 1 of engine.
Engine: 2-cylinder, 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" and makes 350 revolutions to the mile.
Manufacturer's rated horsepower: 30 h.p.
Approximate developed horsepower; 250 h.p.
Plug type pistons, no rings; weight of engine, 205 lbs.
Boiler: 30" dia., 18" deep; contained 1475 tubes, 33/64" OD dia; 20 ga. wall thickness, of seamless steel; total heating surface, 285 sq. ft.; steam pressure, about 1000 lbs. (When car was demolished on January 27, 1907, while traveling at over 190 m.p.h., the steam pressure was 1300 lbs.)
Burner: Stanley's vaporizing, slot type; gasoline fuel.
Brakes: 2-band, external, one on each driving axle next to differential gear. In addition, 2 internal expanding brakes were mounted on the rear wheel hubs.
Engine had Stephenson link motion for variable cut-off and reverse.

WORLD'S RECORD BREAKING STEAM ENGINE used by Fred H. Marriott when he broke the world's speed record in his Stanley racer, is on display at the Smithsonian Institution at Washington, D.C.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:08:19 PM
Registered

Gary K,
Thanks for that information about the Stanley Steamer. My personal opinion, we all seem to compliment each other's strong points. And, we all have an opportunity to learn!
Gary

This is a single stamp mill that used to set at Oscar's Dreamland Museum near Billings, Montana. The late Oscar Cooke had several items of unusual steam usage. One is setting beside this stamp mill and I don't know what it was, off of the top of my head.

This was me on Austin Monk's 40 hp Peerless about ten years ago, powering Barnes' 10 stamp mill. This stamp mill was brought out of a very high mountain gold mine within a hundred miles of Belgrade, where it now sets. There were a huge raft of people who volunteered a weekend to disassemble it and haul the pieces back to the Barnes' show grounds.

This is an old engraving of how steam powered the cable drums to run the street cars in some city.

This is an engraving I have of a steam riveter. I would imagine these were used in boiler making, years ago?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:50:25 PM
survivingworldsteam

Quote:
This is a single stamp mill that used to set at Oscar's Dreamland Museum near Billings, Montana. The late Oscar Cooke had several items of unusual steam usage. One is setting beside this stamp mill and I don't know what it was, off of the top of my head.
If it is the item to the right of the stamp mill in the picture; isn't that a portable steam winch or donkey engine? There is a good webpage on these at:

http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/...key/index.html

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project
Old 03-22-2006, 05:11:30 PM
Registered

Here's a really nice "workin' girl"... she runs from Williams, AZ to the South rim of the Grand Canyon every day. We got to ride on it to the canyon and back, even living through a hold up!
I was double happy to see the young lady that is shown in the one picture, firing this engine... talking to her for just a brief time proved that she was truly interested and knowledgeable about what she was doing and planned on staying there for a while.
You can see more of the train and the system at www.thetrain.com
JH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	johntrain1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	7791   Click image for larger version

Name:	traina1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	7792   Click image for larger version

Name:	train1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	7793  
Old 03-23-2006, 12:11:30 AM
Registered

This is a White Motor Company steam powered ambulance used in WWI. Notice the steam exhausting near the front axle, on the left.

This is a Simpson steam powered lawn mower and roller. Another lawnmower has already been shown, but my wife's maiden name was Simpson so I chose to run this one too.

This is my little wife on the wharf at San Francisco several years ago. She stands beside a stern wheel. Notice the eccentrics on the shaft. In the foreground is the steam windlass and the donkey (marine type?) at right.

This is anotherphoto of Laurie Barnes-Ford with her upright engine and her sister Lanceine Barnes-Zeigler cutting shingles on their shingle mill.
Gary
Old 03-23-2006, 07:25:07 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,532 Times in 528 Posts

highwheeler, nice pics as usual. would you happen to know them make of the 2-balled governor on that in the foreground of the barnes picture?

i bought a casting kit for a governor like that a while ago and lost the dang drawings, plus i forgot the name of the guy that sells those. maybe it can help me track new ones down.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:55:50 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoogie
highwheeler, nice pics as usual. would you happen to know them make of the 2-balled governor on that in the foreground of the barnes picture?

i bought a casting kit for a governor like that a while ago and lost the dang drawings, plus i forgot the name of the guy that sells those. maybe it can help me track new ones down.
JBoogie,
No, I don't recall the name of that governor. It seems like my photo of Case #1 also shows it with one like or very similar to this governor. That is a cute little engine lying there and as far as I know nothing has ever been done with it by nobody. It is kind of like Disneyland, in the Matterhorn mountain; just placed there for effect. I'm sorry I can't help you with the governor. Hopefully someone else can?
Gary
Old 03-23-2006, 11:09:01 AM
Registered

This is no normal locomotive... It is a turbine loco... Side irons, but no connecting rod and cylinders. A pathetic picture, but shows the side irons and lack of pistons and connecting rods well.

This is a picture of a Pennsylvania turbine loco on a turntable, that lets you see the side irons and lack of rods and cylinders.

This is the Triplex locomotive from some Baker information I have. It had Baker piston valves on all six cylinders.

This shows an articulated locomotive in a real sharp turn. Notice how the headlight and center of the smokebox door line up.
Gary
Old 03-23-2006, 01:58:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,435 Times in 2,013 Posts

On page 236 of AMERICAN LOCOMOTIVES it has this to say on the Pennsylvania steam turbine locomotive.

This year marked a particular milestone for steam in that the Pennsylvania placed in service the first coal-burning locomotive without cylinders - the S2, first direct-drive steam turbine engine ever built in the United States. Jointly designed by Baldwin, Westinghouse, and Pennsylvania engineers, it had 2 turbines for forward and reverse operation. Some of the objectives of the design were to eliminate the reciprocating parts of the conventional steam engine, obtain a uniform application of power to the drivers, and gain the economies turbo-drive makes possible-at speeds above 30 m.p.h., steam consumption per horsepower at the rail is considerably less than that of a comparable reciprocating steam locomotive. Maximum efficiency is reached at a speed of about 70 m.p.h., although with a full-length standard train it can attain a 100 m.p.h. speed.

Builder - Baldwin Locomotive Works.
Forward Turbine - 6,900 H.P. at operating speed of 9,000 R.P.M.
Reverse Turbine - 1,500 H.P. at operating speed of 8,300 R.P.M.
Weight, total - 1,040,200 lb.
Steam Pressure - 310 lb.
Length, coupler to coupler - 122 feet 7 1/4 inches.
Fuel - 42 1/2 tons.
Water - 19,500 gal.
Dia. Drivers - 68".
Tractive Effort - forward - 70,500 lb. and reverse - 65,000 lb.
R.R. Class - S2
Old 03-23-2006, 02:27:11 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoogie

JBoogie,
That two-ball governor in the pic is more than likely a Gardener governor. Southern stationary sawmill engines frequently used those.
Mike