Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run. Also Locomotives nad Railroads.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Steam In The Movies Stationary, Traction, RR

this thread has 314 replies and has been viewed 61427 times

Old 06-23-2006, 01:24:16 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Steam In The Movies Stationary, Traction, RR

How about a discussion of steam power in the movies say in the last 50 years? The ignorant general populus would have little clue about what they see. So unclog your memories and think about what movie have contained authentic equipment. Pictures if possible.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2006, 01:35:35 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,265 Times in 2,127 Posts
Default Re: Steam In The Movies Stationary, Traction, RR

PT,
May I start with a movie in the process? I will show one of the "actors", actually the engineer, Rev. Jim Jack Templin, of SmokStak fame. The locomotive is a 1907 Baldwin Mogul and looks great to me. RevJJ can expound about the movie, if he wishes. Maybe it is a guarded secret? That depot sure looks familiar?
Gary

PS, I recently watched a cd of Man from Snowy River, an Australian production from a few years ago. That movie had lots of portable and locomotive steam in it. Quigley Down Under had a couple of scenes with a portable sawing lumber. Of Course The Green Mile had a Case traction engine powering a rock crusher and Of Men & Mice has a Gaar Scott traction engine threshing.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:13:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,722 Times in 535 Posts

I remember back in High School having to watch Anne of Green Gables. I'm not a big fan of that movie.... except for the 10 seconds in the beginning showing a Case traction on the sawmill!!! I think I remember my eyes just about shutting when I heard that chugging on the tv, and just about fell out of my seat I sat up so fast!

Sorry no screenshots... My friend Jessie has the VHS, but I'd feel funny asking to borrow it... haha
Old 06-23-2006, 02:40:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,867 Times in 7,566 Posts

"Emperor of the North" with Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine was one of the best as far as RR steam scenes, around the shop scenes, etc.. A bit violent for all the sensitive folks on this forum maybe? In Canada there was a multi part TV series called "The National Dream" about the building of the Canadian Pacific. They used a 4-4-0 ex CPR that may still be running in Ontario? That show was made back in the 70s but still shows up from time to time.
There were several films shot in Western Canada using both steam RR and traction scenes. But naturally, can't recall the names at this moment - they will come to me when I am trying to remember something else
G.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:43:25 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,867 Times in 7,566 Posts

Oh, "Anne of Green Gables" was shot in Eastern Canada and some of the sawing scenes were at a Pioneer Museum in Ontario. Don't think the engine was a Case? Maybe an Advance-Rumely or Sawyer? Perhaps some folks down there will recall?
G.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:20:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,440 Times in 2,018 Posts

An old Gary Cooper movie had a Minneapolis steam traction engine in it . . . I'm thinking it was Friendly Persuasion?

Leave it to Hollywood, as the movie was pre-Civil War, and they had this Minneapolis steam engine at the county fair . . . static display! (I think the Minneapolis was a 25 h.p.???)

Some years ago a farmer was telling me he watched this movie, and they had square bales coming out of a combine . . . dah!!!

Gary K
Old 06-23-2006, 04:41:54 PM
Registered

Gary K,
This is Dave Sundry's photo of the Minneapolis Dorothy McGuire climbed aboard the left front wheel to survey the fair in that movie, the Friendly Persuasion, from the Vista Show thread on SmokStak Steam. It is now owned by my friend Dean Alling (right) and is shown at Vista, California. I am also going to place a photo of it when a friend of mine, Russ Stroud, here at Columbia Falls, Montana irrigated in California with it after the movie and before Dean. The grouters are gone and Dean did a LOT of work on this engine. It is a great looker now.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:02:28 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,437 Posts

I think it was Tremors 4 that had the Case traction engine in it, wasn't it? Just remember seeing the first few minutes of the movie, but have heard it was shown in a few more scenes later.

Gotta remember the little lokey in "Oh Brother" that one of our ss'er's ran....

I think "Far & Away" has an English traction engine in one of the scenes, and I think "Lord Greystoke, Legend of Tarzan" also does. I do remember "Legends of the Fall" has a threshing scene with an Oil Pull (not steam, but was threshing!) If we're throwing in English engines, who can forget The Iron Maiden???? (Even though from what I've heard, some folks might like to.....)

By the way, anyone know who's G/S engine was in Mice & Men? Is that an old, old movie, or newer?

Mike M
Old 06-23-2006, 05:23:34 PM
Subscriber

Of Mice and Men had an Advance Rumely traction in it . It is owned by Dick Wiley and Family in central California. I think that movie is bout 10 years old.

Tremors 4 has several shots of the CASE through out the movie. It is the 1912 60 CASE from the Museum in Vista

Friendly Persuasion has my 1920 20 HP Minneapolis in it. Next week I will have to find my picture from the movie and scan it in to the Computer. They dolled it up a bit to try and make it look older for the "Civil war" era movie.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:08:26 PM
Registered

Mike & Dean,
I likely screwed up with Mice & Men, but I know I saw a movie with a Gaar Scott threshing. I'll just have to drive nuts trying to remember which one it was in, now. Mice & Men had to have been at least 15 years ago??

James Garner & Jodi Foster's movie Maverick has some nice steamboat shots in it. I've seen some good locomotive shots over my span of life, but can't remember many. Giant and Out of Africa are a couple.
Gary
Old 06-23-2006, 06:55:41 PM
Registered

I know it is animation but Polar Express is a pretty good movie for Kids..And If you are like me I found it was pretty good even if I am not a kid except maybe at heart..If you have kids or better yet grandchildren, nothing better than to get them hooked on this for Christmas or anytime
Old 06-23-2006, 08:53:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

I have a movie that I taped from TV years ago and there are many steam traction engines and they are threshing some where in the north I think. They get taken over by grasshoppers and it is just one thing after another. They break a lantern and the fields catch on fire and burn. I think one of the engines was a Gaar Scott and there were many vintage vehicles also. I don't even know where to begin to look for the tape to play it and find the name, but can someone let me know what it is from this very poor description?

Thank you,

Jeff Smith
Old 06-23-2006, 08:57:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,721 Times in 848 Posts

I enjoyed the boiler and engine room scenes in TITANIC, myself.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:58:01 PM
Subscriber

Breakheart Pass with Charles Bronson (70's) is an excellent locomotive movie from start to finish like Emperor Of The North.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:03:39 PM
Subscriber

Walt Disneys Great Locomotive Chase is another great movie, lots of 1800's stuff.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:10:41 PM
Subscriber

Rio Lobo with John Wayne has the first 15 min. all steam locomotive.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20:02 PM
Registered

Von Ryan's Express comes to mind.
I remember what I think was a Doris Day movie where she was running a steam locomotive to get lumber from the saw mill to the buyer. I have never seen this movie after I saw it about 20 years ago, its was old then.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:28:48 PM
Subscriber

I didnt see anyone mention the movie Days of Heaven It had some threshing scenes and plowing scenes.I believe the steam engines used were a 80 Case and looked like a Advance Rumley.Maybe Im wrong but I taped that movie off the tv and see it many times.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:56:49 PM
Subscriber

Just to Mention that a movie that came out a few years ago called Iron Will.There was a Baldwin locomotive engine used in the movie. The Movie was shot in Two Harbors Mn.It was engine 14.My friend is engineer on the 14 and was running it in the movie.He told me all about running the engine for the movie.There was some winter scenes With the engine pulling passenger cars.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:15:29 PM
Registered

Days of Heaven, great film even with out steam engines. Highly worth the viewing. steam tractors are in in it, not a lot, but sure do make it more enjoyable. One of Ruchard Gere's first big roles...