Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run. Also Locomotives nad Railroads.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Averys Are Unique!

this thread has 250 replies and has been viewed 49987 times

Old 10-26-2006, 02:52:26 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,265 Times in 2,127 Posts
Default Averys Are Unique!

G Willikers,
You come up with the best names for threads, but you haven't done Avery yet, so through my impatience, I am starting one. Hopefully, others will contribute?

This first color photo is of Stuart Anderson's 22hp undermounted Avery and it is the oldest one extant, as far as I can acertain. Notice this early model has the steam line back into the cab with the throttle in there. The throttle valve is in the steam dome on later models.

This model has the early throttle too. The earlier models had less spokes in their driver wheels. This 30hp engine is pulling an Avery steam lift plow.

This 22hp Avery and Avery steam lift plow belonged to my neighbors, the Gilskey Brothers, near Hilger, Montana.

This is probably the most unique 30hp Avery photo I have in my gallery. It shows an undermounted Avery with a mounted dragline. It is courtesy of my friend, Richard Rorvig.
Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2006, 03:22:58 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,682 Times in 877 Posts
Default Re: Averys Are Unique!

This is probably the most unique 30hp Avery photo I have in my gallery. It shows an undermounted Avery with a mounted dragline. It is courtesy of my friend, Richard Rorvig.
Gary

[/QUOTE]

Gary,
if this engine was hot - do you think that fella sittin up on the steam dome was able to have Kids after that ?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:29:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,140 Posts

Here is a 30H.P. engine that belongs to a friend of mine. This is'nt the best pic, but it adds to the effect of the engine. I always thought the undermount Avery's had a mean look to them and they are by far my favorite steam tractor. In my mind, you just cant beat the looks of an undermount Avery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0533.JPG
Views:	731
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	12664  
Old 10-26-2006, 03:39:10 PM
Registered

Casemaker,
That casting atop the steam dome wouldn't be quite as hot as the steam dome itself. That casting is the access to the cover plate atop the steam dome accessing the throttle valve and the round knob is the "nut" that holds it secure. That all said, the cover would likely be about seven degrees cooler than the dome itself. I'm not medically adept enough to know about reproductive aspects, but although it would do little in that category to me, I know I wouldn't care to sit there, even at my age!
Gary
Old 10-26-2006, 05:29:08 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,854 Times in 7,564 Posts

Gary - Great thread! Here's a start:
- 32 (?) Avery plowing near Winnipeg, Manitoba with a 10 bottom Avery plow. Outfit is owned by Arthur Stewart. Oh, year is 1906.
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	avery1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	12671  
Old 10-26-2006, 07:02:26 PM
Registered

Some Canadian Averys.

This first one shows a 30hp undermounted Avery plowing near Crossfield, Alberta. The picture is courtesy of my NWAPA iron club friend, Russ Stroud of Columbia Falls, Montana.

This second photo shows three 30hp Special or 40hp Averys (I can't read the setting on the pop valves; whether they are set at 175psi [30 Special] or 200psi [40hp]). They were part of the Noble fleet of engines at the farm near Nobleford. Avery undermounted engines travel very fast in high gear and very slow in low gear. My friend, Colin, says they put these Avery engines in their own field, so as to not get in the way of the four 110hp Case, two 32hp cc CS Reeves and one 36hp Rumely engines. The front engine has a large gear below the cylinders, indicating it was equipped with Avery's double cylinder steam steering motor, as shown in the Avery catalog steam steering literature, below.
Gary

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Avery steam steering motor catalog.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	12672  
Old 10-26-2006, 07:36:04 PM
Registered

Before I get my neck out there too far, I need to mention... The "undermounted" is not the only style of steam engines Avery built.

I'd like some input from some of you steam authorities out there. I've been told from my very young steam years that the Avery undermount is "undermounted" because the axle is mounted under the firebox

(not because the motor is mounted underneath the boiler barrel)

, a side mounted engine is side mounted because the axles are mounted on the side of the firebox and a rear mounted is rear mounted because the axle is mounted behind the firebox.

Therefore, I am NOT going to call this first engine a "Top Mount" as I have often heard them referred to. I guess I'm saying, "You name it?"

I took this picture of a 25hp Avery straight flue engine at Mount Pleasant, Iowa.

This is an Avery return flue engine pulling plows on the Holst Farm in Sheridan County, Montana.
Gary

Old 10-26-2006, 07:53:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,902 Times in 775 Posts

Averys are one of my favorite engines. They have a lot of neat features on them. However, I did learn that the automatic firebox door is no advantage when you are plowing.
Here are pictures of a few different ones
Jerred Rubles 20 HP topmounted (sidemounted?) as it was at Rynda's sale.
Harold Swartzrock's 1/2 scale 40-120
Antique Acres' 22 HP undermounted. It was good to see this engine steamed up this year. It does, however, need some TLC.
Gary Flak's topmounted (sidemounted?) getting ready to plow at Dobbin's plowday two weeks ago. I was lucky enough to steer this engine several rounds in the field.

My understanding is that there are only 4 topmounted straight flues left. This thread has pictures of three of the so far...

Video of Gary's engine in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggqGUiUdy_4

Jim Evans
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2168.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	12674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3337.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	12675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6744.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	12676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7679.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	12677  
Old 10-26-2006, 08:05:42 PM
Registered

I don't know about the size difference in the motors of the 18hp and the 20hp undermounted Avery? I don't have my specifications here with me. I do know the 22hp, the 30hp, the 30hp Special and the 40hp Avery undermounted engines used the same motor. The 22hp used a lower mounted boiler, lower driver wheels and smaller diameter bull and and corresponding gearing and operated at 150psi. The 30hp (US) had a higher mounted boiler barrel, taller driver wheels, taller bull and corresponding gearing and operated at 150psi. The 30hp Special had the same gearing, employed either a Broderick Brothers or later an Illinois Steel (keyhole) butt-strap boiler and operated at 175psi. The 40hp Avery was basically the same identical engine as the 30hp Special, except it operated at 200psi. The 22 and 30hp used the same diameter boiler barrels. The 18 & 20hp also used the same diameter boiler barrels.

This first "40hp" Avery is Tom Graham's and is the one Louis David brought out of Nebraska in the 1950s(?).

This second "40hp"Avery belongs to Jim Briden. Briden's and Graham's both have the Broderick Brothers butt-strap boilers

This is a "40hp" Justin J. Hingtgen built out of parts in the 1950s.

This is Don Bradley's 30hp Special Avery. According to Don, this engine is identical to the Hingtgen "40hp" other than the pop valve, and a stamping on the I-Beam below the smokebox, whereby the horsepower was purportedly stamped where the pipe brace from the smokebox bolts to the I-Beam. Bradley says, "I've never seen one actually stamped 40hp there." Justin's was stamped there, however he admittedly did so, as it sounded bigger.
Gary

Old 10-26-2006, 08:22:30 PM
Registered

I've had to stay here after work for a meeting tonight, so this will be my last post tonight. I need to change clothes and eat. Darn... work getting in the way of fun again!

This first "butt-strap" 20hp Avery has been referred to as a "Cavery" in another thread. My friend Colin explained how this boiler has a butt-strap boiler from a Case engine and if you notice the front flue sheet is riveted into the double row riveted area of the butt-strap.

This is a 20hp Alberta & Saskatchewan Special butt-strap Avery that used to be owned by my friend Chady Atteberry. This boiler is legitimate, however I couldn't tell you whether it is a Broderick Brothers or Illinois Steel boiler? It isn't humped with the "keyhole" shaped wagon top, if it is Illinois Steel.

This is the Illinois Steel "keyhole" boiler Don Bradley placed onto his 30hp Alberta & Saskatchewan Special.

Sadly,
This is what happened to most undermounted Avery engines... Heck, this is what happened to most steam traction engines? This engine was wrecked during WWII at Barr Brother's Wrecking at Hobson, Montana. Notice it is missing a crankshaft, indicating another owner of an undermounted Avery needed to replace his. Since Avery used the same motor for 22-40hp engines, the larger sizes were known to break crankshafts. That said, the Tyler farm's 22hp undermount has a repaired crankshaft, so I guess that indicates that any size could break them?
Gary

Old 10-26-2006, 09:06:03 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,854 Times in 7,564 Posts

Gary - Thanx for the steering picture. It is always neat how these companies tried all these different things. Here are some pix from a 1907 Thresherman.
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	avery2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	12681   Click image for larger version

Name:	avery3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	12682  
Old 10-27-2006, 12:01:41 AM
Registered

OHyeah!! An Avery thread!! Here's a couple scans from a January '06 Canadian Thresherman...
I can remember a "yellow fellow" that was stored at the fairgrounds here for years, when I was a kid... used to play on it and was facinated! I have no idea what ever happened to it.
JH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	averysteamsmall.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	12690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowfellowsmall.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	12691  
Old 10-27-2006, 12:23:42 AM
Registered

How about this "Yellow Kid" Avery, taken at the Dale & Martha Hawk Museum, in Wolford ND? I've never seen a prettier one anywhere.
I took this in 2000, also have some pics of Case 60 threshing there with his wooden box Rumley.

By the way John, they wouldn't let me play with this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Avery Yellow Kid Thresher.jpg #2.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	12693  
Old 10-27-2006, 08:26:17 AM
Registered

I can not seem to find it. But I do have a photo not of engine, but of the Avery office building still standing in Peoria. You can still see above the front door that the Avery company name appears. Accross the street is part of the old factory. If I can not find it I will stop and take another one next time I am down there.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:08:14 AM
In Memory Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Gary - Great thread! Here's a start:
- 32 (?) Avery plowing near Winnipeg, Manitoba with a 10 bottom Avery plow. Outfit is owned by Arthur Stewart. Oh, year is 1906.
G.
This 1906 picture from Manitoba is the only one shown in this thread with this unique smoke stack. Was this stack offered for a short period by Avery, or did the owner add this himself so his already unique engine would be even more unique?

Gary--Are you counting the top (side) mount in WI as one of those remaining?
chuck
Old 10-27-2006, 09:13:38 AM
Registered

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,437 Posts

I know there's a top-mount in MN that was drug out of a river, and is undergoing restoration. (I've heard it's about completed, now.) Don't know if this one was included in the count or not.

I've read that Avery first started off in the traction engine business by selling Huber engines before 1900. That would possibly explain why some of their first engines (return flue jobs) greatly resemble a Huber. Anyone else care to input on whether this is correct or not?

Mike M
Old 10-27-2006, 09:14:29 AM
In Memory Of

Was the cab on the undermount an option at extra cost? I do not recall even seeing a picture of an undermount with NO cab--Does anyone have such a picture?
chuck
Old 10-27-2006, 11:54:32 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sindelar View Post
This 1906 picture from Manitoba is the only one shown in this thread with this unique smoke stack. Was this stack offered for a short period by Avery, or did the owner add this himself so his already unique engine would be even more unique?

Gary--Are you counting the top (side) mount in WI as one of those remaining?
chuck
Chuck,
I'm not counting... Oldtractor was. I'm too scatterbrained to keep things like that straight.

Here's another smokestack like that one. That stack just had an aftermarket spark arrestor in it. This is Yeska & Abel's Avery burning straw and plowing near Malta, Montana. That kind of sounds like a balancing act to me, but I think it was sometimes done in hard times?
Gary

Old 10-27-2006, 12:05:28 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKnight View Post
I know there's a top-mount in MN that was drug out of a river, and is undergoing restoration. (I've heard it's about completed, now. Don't know if this one was included in the count or not.

I've read that Avery first started off in the traction engine business by selling Huber engines before 1900. That would possibly explain why some of their first engines (return flue jobs) greatly resemble a Huber. Anyone else care to input on whether this is correct or not?

Mike M
Mike,
Like I told Chuck,
I'm not keeping track of Avery engines. I leave that to the ones who aren't as scatterbrained as I am. I only produce "thought fodder"!

You are correct as far as I know about Avery selling Huber engines. Now if you'd asked me, I couldn't have told you how that actually worked, as I may have thought it was the other way around. Tom Stebritz wrote me a letter about the subject years ago. I miss him and his "database" so much, already! I'm going to attach a photo of young Walter Mehmke and a "Avery-Huber" which he ended up owning. He is the barefoot boy on the wagon. Note the shape of the grouters on those early engines.
Gary

Old 10-27-2006, 12:14:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,437 Posts

Gary,
After plowing with the Avery a few weeks ago and seeing all the fires started in the field, I'd sure hate to try to fire one from a straw rack right over near the source of hot coals and cinders!!!! That had to keep one busy....

Mike M