Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run. Also Locomotives nad Railroads.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Took a Little Trip over the Weekend seen Lots of Mountains and...30 hp Case

this thread has 125 replies and has been viewed 33493 times

Old 01-03-2012, 01:39:08 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Took a Little Trip over the Weekend seen Lots of Mountains and...

Ken,
Do you have any additional part casting required for this engine you are aware of or is the remaining work machining and mounting,etc... I know, heavy on the the etc....

Dale
The Following User Says Thank You to Dale A Noel For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

I don't believe I need any more castings. I picked up a Good stack and base last winter although not quite correct it will do just Fine. I do have to put a piece in the gear guard.

Todays project was a new Hubcap for the differential shaft. The engine came with a Bunch of Heavy Duty Baling wire where the original used to be. I would guess it was cast iron and is laying in two pieces in the Colorado mountains somewhere. I had a piece of 4 inch shaft from an old mill by Martell and the pin is a Head/Block bolt stud from a G Minnie. So Yes there is some quality going into this so far Total cost just a little electricity and the fact that I cheated the Junk Man is Priceless.

Sorry for the Crummy Pic but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mudpuddle 015.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	124784  
Old 01-04-2012, 06:19:37 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,228 Posts

Ken; How did you locate the differential pinion arbors accurately before pouring the babbitt for the ends? If located too far cw or ccw one pinion could carry all or none of the torque. The differential I plan on using on the E Oilpull has the original babbitt in good shape. I'll make the new arbors to the exact same end dimensions as the old ones. I'll use precision case hardened shafting and mill flats with a Wf carbide cutter.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09:36 PM
Subscriber

Well, I did this one the same as I did the other one years ago. The Babbit is in the pinions in this case and the holes drilled for the pins in the carrier.

I drilled a hole in a hardwood block in the drill press and made a mandrel about .005 oversize then drove it into the hole. Then Smoked the shaft and centered the pinion on it and dumped the babbit. After the babbit cooled I stuck it in the press and pushed the mandrel out.

I believe some other engines used a system similar to yours and I really don't know of a good way to center things in that case. I guess what I would do is prop up the carrier and one platter gear and set the pinions so the teeth bottomed out in the platter gear and pour the babbit

After 100 years there was one tooth in the inner platter gear that was a Lot thicker and one thinner than the rest (Core Shift ?) so I used a carbide burr to dress the thick one down some and things run a lot smoother now.

I was surprised to see no broken teeth in the differential as both keyways were wallowed out and they had set screws in the right hand pinion to try to hold things together.

Contrary to what some people tell you I believe there was a lot to be desired the quality control of these things. I think the gears were just rough cast and they left wear to line things up.

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 01-04-2012 at 11:52:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Majeski For This Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09:56 AM
Subscriber

Well I dragged a couple more pieces into the shop a couple weeks ago. The valve seat of the cylinder was pitted on the bottom from years of sitting with no governor so I bolted it between 2 big pieces of angle iron and set it in the Bridgeport. It was hard to reach into the bottom as the beak on the mill was too big but with a flycutter I just made it into the corners.

I now have a valve seat that's as Flat as Pee on a Plate. I had resurfaced the valve a year or so ago. The valve and seat weren't worn that bad but now I got rid of 99% of the pits and it is Flat. I only took about .015 off. They always seem to be worn in the middle. So now it shouldn't sound like a Cow pulling her Foot out of the Mud.

Next I dragged in the steering roller assy. The keyway was wallowed out and the shaft looked Bent on one end. They had a ground down carriage bolt and a battered set screw driven in to hold the gear on

I cleaned up the centers and stuck it in the lathe. The Dam thing wobbled about 1/4 inch on the gear end No Wonder it was almost impossible to steer when I loaded it in Colorado. The gear was worn kinda funny too. I ground on it a little and seemed to get a lot of sparks so figured Maybe ? they poured the auger around a steel shaft. The little engine has a solid auger unlike the larger ones that are hollow

So I stuck it in the Press. Went to about 7 ton, I thought maybe it came a little, So went to 9 ton and BANG I now have a 2 piece steering auger

Well No Big Deal as the piece that Broke off was No Good anyway

The first pic is drilling a 1 7/16 hole in the end of the steering auger, Try this in your Harbor Fright drill press.

The second one is the almost finished product. I smeared the new end with High Strength Loctite and bounced it on a Hardwood Block about 5 times and it was home. I did drill the hole in far enough so the steering chain bolt will go into the new piece. Notice the piece that broke off did leave something to be desired.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lathe 004.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	159866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger 003.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	159867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger 004.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	159868  

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 03-07-2013 at 12:23:18 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ken Majeski For This Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35:02 AM
Subscriber

For the Guys that like Old Machine tools here is the business end of the Old Leblond Lathe. When I walked into that Old Shop and seen them 6 Matched Drip Oilers I just Had to Have that Old Girl.

Thanks Again Rick for finding and loading what I call my 5200 Pound Blonde

BTW according to Leblond USA the old Girl was built in 1917.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:56:26 PM
Subscriber

Well, in between Important things like going to the Plainfield show and riding in the Northwoods of Michigan Rembrandt found time to smear a little Paint. I figured I would try to get a few things ready just in Case a boiler showed up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hopelesscase05 003.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	169300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopelesscase05 002.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	169301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopelesscase05 004.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	169302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopelesscase05 006.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	169303  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:07:42 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Majeski View Post
I figured I would try to get a few things ready just in Case a boiler showed up.
Let us know when the Eagle has landed!
The Following User Says Thank You to K.O'Connell For This Post:
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59:17 PM
Subscriber

Well, Another six bags of Black Blast down the drain and Rembrandt found some time to smear a little Paint again.

I didn't remove the Swiss Cheese babbit in the engine frame yet as it might help to get things lined up on the new boiler. I'm repairing these parts as needed before cleaning them so they should be ready to put on. Main bearings will be poured after things are mounted.

No doubt things will get scratched up some when assembling them but thats what they make paint brushes for
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	178524   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	178525   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	178526  
Old 02-16-2014, 03:46:35 PM
Subscriber

Well, a while back I dragged in the platform/toolboxes. About the only thing I could save was the floor and probably shouldn't have saved that. After all I will just walk on it and scuff it up anyway.

I got some steel bent up and I am starting to put things back together. I know some would rather have Original Parts but I thought it would be nicer to have toolboxes that would actually hold tools. Note the Factory precision fit of one of the original corners. Also note the original color was Red.

I did build up and bore round some of the valve gear boxes and made some new pins a while back. I ran my best crankpin brass with Babbit for now but am still open to anyone casting new ones.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boxes2 004.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	188185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boxes2 002.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	188186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boxes2 005.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	188187  

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 02-16-2014 at 04:23:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:42:41 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Took a Little Trip over the Weekend seen Lots of Mountains and...30 hp Case

Well, The last few days I have been drilling and riveting the toolboxes together and drug the drawbar in and did some straightening on it as it was quite bent up.

I would like to take some stuff outside and give it a light sandblasting and a little primer and paint but the weather has been so Lousy (minus 15 this morning) that it would be an all day fight just to get the stuff started and outside let alone keep things from freezing up Things might get better in a week or so.

The toolboxes are unsymtrical and lopsided but thats the way Case built them I will wait untill I have things mounted to finish the stabilising braces to the cannon bearing and finish the gear guard as I don't want them in the wrong place. But things are starting to look like something.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hopeless04 003.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	189157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopeless04 004.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	189158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopeless04 001.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	189159  
Old 02-27-2014, 08:54:34 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,296 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
I got some steel bent up and I am starting to put things back together. I know some would rather have Original Parts but I thought it would be nicer to have toolboxes that would actually hold tools. Note the Factory precision fit of one of the original corners. Also note the original color was Red.
The stuff we went back and salvaged from the wrecking sight of our 20 parts looks about the same as this. want to build some more? got a new tank made just need to get the rest done. Been curious if anyone out there has ever seen keys for those tool box locks?
How were they unsymetrical and lopsided? will have to measure our 20 Case stuff. The later contractors bunkers are nicer but i guess these old ones did the job
Old 02-27-2014, 11:45:44 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,134 Times in 3,931 Posts
Default Re: Took a Little Trip over the Weekend seen Lots of Mountains and...30 hp Case

Quote:

The toolboxes are unsymtrical and lopsided but thats the way Case built them
Ken,

Do you think there is a chance that Tanner's relatives sent over some Port Huron secret brew while the Case people were designing/building them??

...their apparel as attached might have given them away

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4346.JPG
Views:	703
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	189221  
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 11:59:21 PM
Subscriber

Notice the right side toolbox is centered on the side piece where the left one is set out. I would guess this is because there is more room for the operator that way.

I will have to examine the locks and try to see what kind of key they use. It would be nice if I could use them. I don't have the piece that goes on the lid part. I would guess they were lost with the original wood.

Ya Beth there might have been a Lot of Brew involved. Looking at the catalogs this isn't the only size engine that had one toolbox centered and the other lopsided. The rear wheels fit in between the 83" fender wells of a standard carhauler. Thats a pretty small traction engine.

When I did the other one I made a more streamlined platform more like the later Case engines. If I would have did that on this one there wouldn't be much room on the platform.

The Later 30's had larger wheels and the bull gears were inside the wheels and the later bobtail ended up wider and because of this the toolboxes could be all inside the side pieces.

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 02-28-2014 at 12:15:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Majeski For This Post:
Old 02-22-2015, 12:49:41 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,134 Times in 3,931 Posts

Quote:

Ya Beth there might have been a Lot of Brew involved.
Ya think!?!?!?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08:49 PM
Subscriber

Well, A while back I got to looking at the crankshaft. It just didn't give me a Warm Fuzzy feeling so I put it in the hacksaw and cut the shaft off a inch or so from the crank and put it in the press. I went about all I dared and it didn't move. So I drilled 3 interlocking holes in the end of it to relieve some pressure and I finally got the key out. Then I cut down the keyway with the torch and the stub came out with about 10 ton of pressure.

I had ordered a new shaft and stuck it in the 5200 pound Blonde and turned the end down to about .003 larger than the hole in the disc, Stuck it in the mill and cut the keyways. I tried to find some dry ice but came up empty so I heated the disc to about 300+ degrees and stuck the shaft into some Liquid Propane (outside of course). I clamped a short pilot key to the shaft with a vise grip and stuck the shaft into the disc, It went in about 1/2 inch and Stopped

Being I don't like to get caught with my pants down I had extended my press legs in case that happened. A few quick pumps of the press and it was home. I tapped the key out and the keyway was lined up perfectly.

The 1948 Refrigerator in the background has plenty of that Liquid Refreshment in case things go Wrong or maybe even if they don't
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crankdisc 007.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	219218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crankdisc 008.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	219219  
Old 02-23-2015, 01:48:44 AM
Subscriber

We still have a refrigerator at work that looks just like that. The guys just sprayed some paint on it about a month ago and covered up the initials CW on the door. It was either my grandfathers or one of my great uncle's refrigerator, that my dad brought to the shop probably back in the 70's.
It'll probably be running when these new ones are in the scrapyard.
Our local big grocery store sells dry ice.
Roby Whitehead
Old 03-07-2015, 10:38:11 PM
Subscriber

Well, I've been working Really Hard at saving social security checks and this morning this showed up in my yard. We got it unloaded and it really tested the forks on my forklift getting it to the side of the trailer so I could pick it up with just the forks and no extensions.

We decided the easiest way to get it into the shop pointed in the right direction was to stick the front wheels on and pick up the back and wheel it in. We did put a safety strap around the forks before we moved it in.

The Good part is it came with the wing sheets, Steering roller mounts, front bolster and the nubbins for the links to the back axle already installed. The Bad part is my vacation is over and now I have a lot of work to do.

Thanks Jeff, I'm Really Happy with the way it turned out
Old 03-07-2015, 10:47:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,255 Times in 554 Posts

I remember seeing the old one at Jeff's yard. It turned out great! Keep the updates coming!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:55:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,060 Times in 893 Posts

Wow Im green with envy! It sure looks good Ken.