Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

1971 chrysler 120 hp

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2824 times

Old 07-11-2010, 10:00:31 AM
Registered

Default 1971 chrysler 120 hp

Hi all! I have a 1971 chrysler ob boat motor model "1207 HD" My problem is that my shifter jammed and so I took off the throttle and shifting linkage of the motor and now I cant figure out how the go back on..and I took the Clymer manual back to the library before I had this problem and now its already checked back out.....does in one have a picture or a diagram ? thanks for any help Chuck
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2010, 11:15:58 PM
Registered

Default Re: 1971 chrysler 120 hp

i know how it goes back on its easy but it's hard to explain without looking at the outboard. if i get time and can look at my 105 tomorrow and look at to get a better answer i have a manual but its on another computer. go to

http://www.hurrikain.com/

and order a parts manual and a service manual. they're ten bucks each. they are authentic chrysler manuals you can chose to have a hard copy cd sent or they'll email you a pdf. one thing i can tell you is seloc and clymer and hanes manuals are complete junk. always try to get an oem. aftermarket are too general and cover too many models and years and have alot more mistakes in them. its always nice to have the parts manual so you can have the original part numbers. chrysler numbers have been superceeded so many times its hard to keep track of the parts that they still make. having the original part number makes it so much easier to find parts.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:35:34 AM
Registered

Default Re: 1971 chrysler 120 hp

Move the remote control lever from the nuetral position, the cable end that moves first is the shift cable. Clamp the other cable- the throttle cable - to the motor and move the throttle lever with the ball on it so that the stop screw is seated.

One of the cable socket ends that screw onto the cables is spring loaded. Pull out on them to see which one it is and put that one on the throttle cable. Adjust it so that the flat end of the socket end is just touching the ball with the stop screw seated -not over it, but just the very end of the cable against the ball. Then pull out on the socket end and put it on the ball. The cable will be spring loaded against the stop.

Put the control in nuetral position. Move the shift lever on the motor to the nuetral position. Adjust the shift cable socket end so the cable fits in place and install cable.

When the motor is running, move the control lever to see that forward and reverse start to engage at the same distance each way from nuetral. If you have to move the lever farther in the forward direction until there is gear contact than toward reverse and gear contact or vice versa, readjust the cable to make it equal.

Tighten the jam nuts.