eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

Ebay Prices

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 3045 times

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 03:04:50 AM
Paul W.

Default Re: Ebay Prices

Ride on Ed. The fun part is the hunting the parts. I just found a webster Mag. in the junk yard today for $ 1.00. Now Iwill have to rebuild it, Got any new springs Ed. ???? Paul
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2003, 06:21:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,988 Times in 1,751 Posts

: I think some eBay engine stuff prices are really "SOFT" (good deals for the buyer), and then at other times you say (good deal for the seller) for the same item. Ocassionaly you find items that are no where else to be found , but they show up on eBay if you keep looking , with $'s ready . Sniping is no different with one exception than the person at an auction who makes a last minute bid. At an auction you can keep the bidding going. With eBay, it's time bound. I suggested to eBay in addition to time limiting the auctions that if any bids come in during the last 10 seconds, keep the bidding going for an additional minute or so just like a real auction for counter bids. They didn't like the idea of more money for the seller and eBay . Don't want to change a good thing . OK with me. Still Sniping on ebay so folks can't see what I'm bidding on, and winning , sometimes Paul
Old 03-16-2003, 07:59:27 AM
Joe Prindle

If you wait for the stuff to come to you, you gotta pay retail, if you go out and find it, you might get it wholesale. The big prices are paying the other guy for his effort and good fortune in finding something he's got and you need. Sniping is only unfair to the guy who is not smart enough or ambitious enough to do it. I don't snipe very often because I have this terrible habit of falling asleep when I sit down in front of the computer, so I just put my maximum bid on it, and if I get an email saying I got it, I send the money. There are bargains to be had on eBay. Searching for the bargains is a sport. If you had an item and had no clue as to what it really was, how would you describe it? A buzz coil becomes a wooden coil, a radio coil or a dovetail box with a switch. An oiler can be a lubricator, an oil dripper, or often can be found as "glass brass oil*". I got a helluva deal on a Riged Pipe Treader awhile back. Most folks are luosy spelers, so use it to your advantage. Yep, it sucks to not get what you were bidding on because someone wanted it worse, but the fun of searching for deals and weird stuff still beats the heck out of most of what is on TV. Just my two cents worth.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:23:21 AM
Russell T

That orginal ( Ruby ) oiler went for $1525.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:47:52 AM
John Rolli

Sorry,I totally disagree with the stupid factor.As someone else pointed out in this thread it all depends on where you are in the country or world for that matter as to how rare a particular thing is and what price it will bring.If a person isnt willing to spend the price of what the items are bringing on ebay and is always getting outbid then what the hell are they wasting their time on there for???? As far as sniping goes I do it all the time.The bottom line on sniping is,grow a set of #alls and put in the ABOSOLUTE MAXIMUM BID THAT YOU WANT TO SPEND ON THE 1 SNIPE,if you didnt get it no matter how much you lost it by dont be pissed at the guy who won it.He just wanted it a hell of a lot more than you,hate yourself instead for being cheap.John.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:08:52 PM
BobRR

Steve how do you know when there is 10sec. left? E-bays clocks are everything but close. I watched a Item I was bidding on. I clicked on the item from my bidding page it showed 45min. left. (Iknew there was less than5) went to items watch page showed 15min. went to the item through search and it showed 45 min. by this time biding was acually closed.? Is there a live clock somewhere on E-bay that is right? BobRR
Old 03-16-2003, 05:06:03 PM
Mike Inglis

Bob you should always press refresh on your internet explorer window to keep time accurate. I do this and i havent had a problem yet.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:29:18 PM
Gary McChesney

John, I total agree if you don't want to pay the price way bid. I both sell and buy with Ebay what I sell I can bid on something that I want. I used to use a sniper progam a couple of years ago but allways got out bid anyhow, now I just bid the max that I want to pay and let it go. There will always be another sooner or late or maybe not and you might not have wanted it all that bad after all. A couple of tips, search a lot of titles some one may list agreat item under the wrong listing, when you list include words that will make a hit. A good deal is when the buyer and seller both think that they got a good deal.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:27:48 PM
Steve Barr

OK...Here is my manual snipe method... I used MyEbay to watch items.... I use IE for my browser...I open a second window by holding shift and clicking on the item that I want to bring up. I resize the window to half of the screen(vertical). I then click on the item in my ebay window and resize and move that to simular size on the other half of the screen. I start the bid placment process...Enter $ amount hit place bid, then leave it at (enter ID/Password)verify screen. I can now refresh the itmem listing screen until the time is right. Depending on how fast your connection is,you hit the place bid button on the other window when the time is right...15,10,5 seconds (which ever you choose). and hope you have outbid the present high bidder...

There you have it. I usually refresh several times within the last 5 minutes to see if any movement in bids have taken place...I start to count the seconds.....A stop watch is useful for this if you really want to cut it close....

I probably didn't put the correct words in my original post, but if sniping does get you the highest bid, it cannot outbid itself and you the sniper...are the winning bid...Are you confused yet????

I haven't been bidding on much lately, but have been selling some duplicate diecast items which I was collecting long before switching over to the big iron...

Steve

My Other Collection
Old 03-17-2003, 12:30:49 AM
Bob Ronning in ILL

I just sniped something in 46 sec. and I got it for $10 less than my top bid. I think that if I had placed my high bid early someone else whould hve gone more.Bob
Old 03-17-2003, 12:37:29 AM
BobRR

Thanks Mike will do. BobRR
Old 03-17-2003, 08:11:39 PM
Steve Gerot

I think you are right. I have bought many Iron Horese engines on ebay and sniping alway was cheaper.
Closed Thread