Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run. Also Locomotives nad Railroads.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Multiple Engines For Sale in the Ads

this thread has 314 replies and has been viewed 74799 times

Old 01-26-2011, 02:17:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,136 Times in 736 Posts
Default Re: Multiple engines For Sale in the Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
Theres not many of these left so it's probably well worth the effort.
So, how many are left?

There is the Porter engine, one at the museum, and one in Carthage, NC.

Any more?

David

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Ertel View Post
Here are few pics from Labor Day weekend 2010 on the Robinson.. The boy's were love'n life......
Is the roof extension something that was done at the factory, or something that the owner did to keep the roof low while allowing space for the top of the governor?

David
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 01:07:01 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts

We have a new crop of items on there now...parts & engines...

I see our Reeves' original boiler too..........

Beth
Old 02-20-2011, 04:56:54 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,296 Times in 734 Posts
Exclamation Re: Multiple engines For Sale in the Ads

So theres NOS 1" injectors going for 150 in the ads. did anyone let him know thats way to cheap! Aren't new ones bringing 1100$? or only 850.
Then there's a smaller Advance in there thats likely worth 15-25K with a price tag of 100k on it
Old 02-20-2011, 08:29:05 PM
Subscriber

no offense Colin but if you had a 10 horse Advance what would it take to buy it?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JLBroadhead For This Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 09:36:12 PM
Registered

Question Re: Multiple engines For Sale in the Ads

Im just basing my price on the fact it is 120 years old. and wondering if the boiler is good for original pressure and will last for quite a few years since hes asking HUGE money. and isn't the 6hp the Baby of the fleet? usually the big ones and baby one fetch the big dollars. i dont mean to be rude just sayin and wondering out loud...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colin For This Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 07:04:12 AM
Registered

The six horse is the smallest they made, but if you look at how many six horse or ten horse Advances traction engines are left, you could probably count both sizes on one hand....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A.D. Baker For This Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,136 Times in 736 Posts

I don't know the engine, so I have no opinion on it and what the owner is asking for it.

What I do know is that these smaller engines can be moved on a trailer behind a healthy pickup, whereas the large ones require a lowboy, a semi, a CDL, etc., not to mention permits and fuel costs. This is fine if you use heavy equipment in your business, but not cost effective if you don't.

With this in mind, if I was starting out in the hobby, I'd be looking for a 12 h.p. engine or one smaller, and put the projected hauling expenses toward restoration and boiler repair.

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David For This Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58:23 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,437 Posts

If anyone is interested in one, I can tell them where there's a 12 HP Advance for sale....for a WHOLE lot less than the 10 HP. Not going to get into a p!$$ing match over whether it's worth it or not....just willing to pass on some info to someone that might want a smaller engine.

I've said it before and will say it again, my FAVORITE engine out of all of mine is my 13 HP G/S.

Mike M
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39:53 PM
Subscriber

Mike, What does your 13 HP G/S weigh?
Jim
Old 02-21-2011, 11:25:55 PM
Subscriber

Hello Mike!
Can you give me any info. on the Advance, my Friend is looking for one.
thanks Gary!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary A. Craig For This Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 08:08:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,902 Times in 775 Posts

Calling everyone's engine that has ever had repairs "poor" and "junk" is no better than Colin calling your engine expensive.

You aren't one of the types that won't even talk to the lowly $20,000 engine owners are you?

I have no money in the bank (at least not $100,000) so I guess I won't waste your time or mine in typing any farther.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19:23 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleaner View Post
so I have decided on what price it will take for her to leave here.
Here in lies the rub. While you have the right to ask what you want, other people have the right to ask what it is really worth. If you are complaining about people questioning the price then you should not have posted it publicly - put "price on request" and make it a private sale.

smokstak is a forum and it is designed for people to talk. If you say this is ruining a hobby then I can say asking an exhorbitant price is ruining it as well.

I have seen your other ads and you do have nice engine and best of luck in selling them

"Pimp my Keck"
www.steamsmith.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KG1584 For This Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mead View Post
Mike, What does your 13 HP G/S weigh?
Jim
Jim,
My 13 HP weighs right at 15,000 # dry.

BTW-this reminds me of when I was looking for a vintage Gibson (pre-war) banjo several years ago. Most 5-strings you see nowadays (and then) in the hands of players & collectors were originally tenor and plectrum banjos that had a 5-string neck built for them at some point, since 5 strings were outnumbered probably 20 to 1 by 4 string banjos when they were popular in the '20's & '30's. Of course, being that original 5 strings were so darn rare then, and even more so now, you can imagine what prices they commanded compared to a re-necked 4 string....and most ordinary players are quite content to play their non-original 5 strings...esp. working musicians, that have to try to use them to make a living. Why pay $25,000 for an original 5-string, when a good re-necked job could be had (back then) for less than $2,000 for most of them, unless you have really deep pockets and you're just a collector? Good music is made on either banjo.....and good stack music can be made on a steam engine, whether it's got an original boiler, or one that's been repaired or replaced. As long as the repairs look good and original and they'll pass inspection who cares? And they are definitely good enough for most of us working class folks who want an engine to run and can't afford to shell out the money for a "cherry" boiler....

Mike

Last edited by Mike McKnight; 02-22-2011 at 10:31:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 09:53:08 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleaner View Post
I Crap like what Colin is putting out is what has ruined this once enjoyable hobby. .
woh, what, wait a minute here. what crap is being put out who said the hobby is ruined?
and you couldn't be light years from wrong if you think im jealous of an old 120 yr old engine we have a few strong Cases we can take out and work anyday and enjoy...
me thinks someone is losing their marbles...has sure made for dozens of entertaining emails flying around this weekend trying to figure out what drugs are being smoked by some people now days
PS Mikes info was for another engine, not yours!

Last edited by Colin; 02-22-2011 at 10:00:25 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colin For This Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 11:55:10 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,547 Times in 423 Posts

Let's get this thread back on track! Beth, you're right, it's sure interesting and fun to see what's out there, and what's looking for new homes - regardless of price or location!

I think I've said it before - these things are only really worth what the buyer and seller mutually agree on. No other number - advertised or dreamt up or hopeful or somebody's idea of what average market value is - matters at all. Every engine has its own (de)merits from rarity to history to condition to even where it's going, and it's only for the individuals making the deal to determine that combined value, and what's affordable. Am I interested in buying any engine with a 120 year old boiler? Not particularly, at any price...modern boiler codes... But am I interested in having a 110 Case in my yard either? Not really, either - there's one at the local Museum, and one of the best ones around only about an hour further away - and I'm lucky enough to have run both. But that doesn't mean the next guy wouldn't give his eye teeth for one, or the other, or both - so let them and be happy for whomever makes a deal that they're happy with, so they can follow THEIR dreams, not yours!

And at least, it's still far less than some of those big heavyweight infernal combustion engines are bringing these days!

--------------

On a related note, it seems to me that we're at the end of the era where engines are being assembled from old parts piles, is that true? Parts seem to be harder and harder to find, and it's often cheaper and easier to re-cast now, than to wear out a truck gathering worn out parts. Are we basically just seeing (mostly) complete engines being (re)restored, maintained, fixed up? Or are there still lots of assembled-from-parts engines going together?

--Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Bryce For This Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 12:06:26 PM
Registered

Rob,
My 60 HP Case has a mixture of old and new parts on it-the ones that I couldn't find originals are re-casts, and there are a few fabrications here and there on it where I couldn't find any castings. Also, the spokes on the rear wheels are all new...bull pinions are both new, since I couldn't find a good set of used...some I found were better than others, but figured if the rest of the gearing was pretty nice, why mess around with putting older, worn bull pinions on when I could get a new set?

I think there are still some engines being assembled out of parts, but I think parts are fewer and father between for anything but a Case....and am pretty sure the original 110 parts are getting close to dried up by new, esp. when it comes to rear end parts. There are about enough new patterns for 110's to build most of the gearing now, also both cannon bearings there are patterns out there for now. I think most 110's were used hard and put up wet, so a lot of the originals were just wore slap out and new parts had to be cast. That goes for about ANY big plowing engine that plowed it's way around the world back 100 yrs ago!

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58:59 PM

I wondered when tempers would flare.

The purpose of the thread is to see what is available. Whether you agree with the pricing or not, it is the buyer & seller's perogative to agree or disagree.

Remember personal attacks will be either edited or DELETED, so be professional. The other forums make fun of our "steam passion" over here.

Everyone has their own preferences. Local regulations will greatly influence your choice. Our collection includes original boilers (no work, they are great!), lots of work (good to go with no problems), bad original (For Sale in Engine Ads) swapped for a good original, and a brand new welded. I know for a fact that $100,000 would not buy at least 2 of them and the others may be close, but none are for sale.

Beth
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16:41 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,988 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth V View Post
The other forums make fun of our "steam passion" over here.

Beth
They're just jealous.

Dan
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Donaldson For This Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 02:21:37 PM

Dan,

Of course they are jealous!!

Beth
Old 02-22-2011, 04:40:10 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,871 Times in 7,566 Posts

There have been some very, very, very nice engines for sale on here the last while. Any one of them would be an honour to have in the shed. What they are worth is what the seller and the buyer agree on when the deal is made.
G.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post: