eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

Has Ebay lost their minds?

this thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 10740 times

Old 07-08-2011, 03:50:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,133 Times in 4,151 Posts
Default Re: Has Ebay lost their minds?

Wel sometimes it is unfair with things happend.

Personal we never had huge problems with Ebay.
And we have bought already mountain’s of stuff overthere.

Somethimes they send the wrong item but we send it back and later it turned ok then.

Most of the sellers are very helpfull to us.

We never have bought above the 1500 bucks.
The risk it to great to us.

For us we have to bid mostly at midnight.
So we have to go mostly out of our bed to have our item.

there are some thing’s that we woult like to change on Ebay.

There are some sellers that don’t like to sell outside the U.S.
In some cases we coult find contact with the seller and talk with him ore her and mostly they turn to sell there stuff also to Holland.
But there are also sellers that don’t like to sell outside the U.S. ore Canada and don’t want to have contact.

Then ther is a huge problem and we can not buy the item.
Wish that everybody keep there contact open.

Coople years ago i saw a very nice Cockshutt bookled on Ebay.
Before i was going to bid i took contact with the seller and told him that i was from Holland and like to have this book very much.
I was bidding on the end and i bid very high.
And still bid out.

A short time after i was bid out the owner took contact with me.
He told me that he had the same book dubble and i coult have the book for the high price i was bid on it.
I dit not like the situation enymore and told him that i was not intrested enymore.

Well this thing coult also happen to me in Holland.
The people are all the same in every country.

After this thing i have learn not to be very exited to the seller with asking about thing’s.

But those are only small things that have happend to me.
With most the Ebay sellers i am very positive.
Give them the most positive feedback’s
Somtimes i write : this seller is a real huge hero in the Netherlands, fantastic !.

We have never sold an item on Ebay, only buying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 04:14:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,889 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
There are all kinds of other online auction sites.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...hannel=suggest

Go ahead......start another......good luck......
While it is true there are others.... many of them are just plain rip-offs. I knew of at least one that charged you a fee to bid higher and each time you bid it would only go up one increment such as 5 cents at a time and you might be charged 25 cents for each higher bid. If you use another auction site try to learn how they make money before you try to win something. The bottom line is that as high as feebay's fees have gotten, there is still no better place to get the word out (beyond these forums) that your item is for sale.

Gil

Last edited by Gil Garceau; 07-08-2011 at 04:28:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gil Garceau For This Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 05:01:13 PM
Registered

I had bid on a few items over the years and and was out bid by someone new to ebay usually signed up on the day the auction ended or had nothing but horrible feed back. Then sometimes the same day I would get the chance to buy the item for my high bid. Yet if they canceled the actualy high bogus bidder I would have got the item for much less. It made it look like the seller was jacking up the bid to find out what I would pay, then offer it after the auction for that amount. When this happens I wouldn't buy the item at any price because of the way the deal looked. I just hope the seller had to pay the end of auction fee.

Richard W.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard W. For This Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 05:15:49 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W. View Post
I had bid on a few items over the years and and was out bid by someone new to ebay usually signed up on the day the auction ended or had nothing but horrible feed back. Then sometimes the same day I would get the chance to buy the item for my high bid. Yet if they canceled the actualy high bogus bidder I would have got the item for much less. It made it look like the seller was jacking up the bid to find out what I would pay, then offer it after the auction for that amount. When this happens I wouldn't buy the item at any price because of the way the deal looked. I just hope the seller had to pay the end of auction fee.

Richard W.
This is a great point and as much as feebay tries to tell you they don't allow shill bidding and that they are able to identify shills, it is simply not true. They are in it for the money and that means there is less than zero incentive to stop shill bidding. You have done the right thing refusing the second chance offer. I do the same.

If it is an item I really want, I contact the seller and let them know I am interested at a price of one increment above the second underbidder (me being the first underbidder). Most don't like hearing that. There have even been sellers who tried to demand you buy the item at your top price. They just don't realize that if you didn't win the item as top bidder, you have no obligation at all.

Gil
The Following User Says Thank You to Gil Garceau For This Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 04:40:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,516 Posts

as far as i am concerned ebay has got to big for it self but we can only blame our selfs for it being that way.John
Old 07-11-2011, 05:10:37 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
as far as i am concerned ebay has got to big for it self but we can only blame our selfs for it being that way.John
I don't think we should blame ourselves for utilizing a useful service. However, I did not vote for any judges that gave ebay a near monopoly. I have a lot of trouble with the concept that ebay should not have competition because they claim some sort of rights to an online auction format. Online is just the way much business is done these days. Why should auctions be any different? I never heard of any companies claiming they invented hauling freight by truck and therefore deserve a monopoly. There is plenty of competition there.

Gil
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gil Garceau For This Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16:53 PM
busman7

Tried to sell a car on slezeBay once, a scammer got the auction stopped. Never use the thieves again.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:34:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,905 Times in 3,759 Posts

I've been buying on eBay for over 11 years and selling off and on for 10 1/2 years.

Some of their fees and policies are a pain to deal with, and you do occasionally run into a scam artist on one end of the deal or the other but their roughly 9 1/2% eBay final value fee and 3 1/2% PayPal final value fee add up to 13% compared to the average auctioneer that charges 18-25% or more, plus they now have it where you get up to 50 free listings a Month so you're not paying listing fees any more on things that don't sell.

I've never liked the idea that they charge those fees on the total Including S&H, but at the same time, it cut down on some of the people that overcharged on shipping charging $10.00 extra for a dollars worth of bubble wrap. Worst part about the fees being based on the total including S&H is when you sell a low dollar item that is big & bulky and cost a lot to ship. Then you end up paying more in fees than you got for the item. Small expensive items.... Not So Bad.

EBay also has different rates at different levels and caps on how much they charge. I sold an engine I thought I was going to get nailed with nearly $350.00 in final value fees alone and it ended up being capped at a $100.00 fee. I was happy about that and happy to get a money order and bypass the PayPal fees altogether. Better than giving a quarter of it to an auctioneer.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32:36 PM
Registered

I have an ebay store selling farm equipment and parts they hit me with all kinds of fees u just have to figure out ways to beat the system. Tractors and combines are items that i have not figured out out to beat the system on they nail me their. Also if you do auction style reserve fees can mean the difference in me makeing or looseing money. they are always on the buyers side during any disputes as well if it wasent for the range of advertisement ebay offer there is no way we would use them. Its a way to advertise without putting ads in every magazine in the country.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:14:56 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhitmiss View Post
... Tractors and combines are items that i have not figured out out to beat the system on they nail me their. Also if you do auction style reserve fees can mean the difference in me makeing or looseing money...
The easy way to beat the system on reserves is to Not Use Reserves. With 50 free listings a month regardless of start price just put your start price where you 'reserve' is... Simple As That. If it doesn't sell, it didn't cost you a cent and you're free to relist over and over until it does sell.

I used reserves a few times in the past when they used to return the reserve fee if the item sold the second time through, but after they changed that policy I found it was cheaper to pay the higher listing fee for the higher start price. Now with the Free Listings, it's a No-Brainer. Just raise the start price and don't worry about it.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

I just remembered though..... some catagories still don't have the free listings, so that may not work with your combines. I did have to pay a listing fee for my loader tractor a couple months ago, but the fee Plus final selling price commision was still lower than if I paid an auctioneer to sell it for me.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,051 Times in 972 Posts

Does anyone understand the new "seller protection policy". I have to pay $2.00 something when I pay for shipping, or my item won't be covered by the $250 "seller protection policy". As the seller, what protection am I getting?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11:03 AM
Subscriber

Shipping Insurance!!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35:08 AM
Subscriber

I haven't read all the details on it to know what all is covered, but I think part of it is if you use the on-line shipping which automatically uploads a tracking number, or if you enter the tracking number yourself as proof of shipping and delivery, it protects you from people claiming they never got the item and demanding their money back for something that they actually did get. I've NEVER had to pay "$2.00 something" extra shipping on anything (other than one extra fragile item that I paid shipping insurance on out of my own pocket even though I always over-pad everything and didn't need to worry anyway. I just wanted the extra piece of mind myself on that one, and it had nothing to do with eBay's seller protection)

As for buyers claiming something wasn't 'as described'.... that depends on how accurate your description is. If you list something as NOS or MINT and they say it was used and worn out, it can go either way depending who offers up the best/most evidence.

It helps to have a good track record. If you have a perfect rating, they will be more likely to side with you, if you have a lot of 1 and 2 ratings, they will probably side with the other guy.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30:49 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,792 Times in 193 Posts

They might be selling the USPS Signature Confirmation™ (US $2.10) option. This meets one of the "ebay seller protection requirements"...I only use it for high value items at my decision.

I still sell a fair amount on ebay ... I have enough inventory (diecast trucks) that I can sell more each week on ebay than I would sell at a toy show...(and I don't have to set up at the show or pay the gas, table rent, etc...the ebay fees are cheaper than the other show expenses combined. Now I do like toy shows and do setup at several of them each year. If I didn't sell on ebay, I would be out of business as I wouldn't be able to afford all the inventory to sit and wait weeks/months for the next toy show. Now I do this as a business and not a hobby.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Barr For This Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 08:37:05 AM
Registered

your title says it all. yes they have lost there minds. theyve gotten so greedy its a joke. ive stopped buying on ebay and switched to amazom.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:44:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,256 Times in 1,998 Posts

I started selling on ebay during the winter of 2002 or 03.
I loved it.
But seems they started messing things up about 2010 and it just got aggrovateing.
The buyer is allways right,the seller is allways wrong.that seems to be the case with ebay.
The fees and double dipping with Paypal is just plain greedy.
I have a pile of stuff I want to sell there but the fees are just stupid.A Cb radio worth about 25 dollars on ebay would have to be listed for 35 just to make sure I covered the 15 I paid for it,and the fees and include a couple bucks profit..
Used to I could rotate stuff like that and make a few bucks.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

And as far as overseas sales,have you filed out all the paper work before to ship something overseas? Takes a good bit of time.
Tracking it is impossable.
And God forbid somebody breaking or bending something that you send over there.The returns and hassles are just not worth it.
I put the words plain on my listings,no overseas sales.BUT if a perspective bidder emails me FIRST and makes it clear he understands the rediculas amount the USPS charges for shipping and so on,I will work with them.