Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Seller attitudes

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 7176 times

Old 08-24-2008, 11:10:45 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Seller attitudes

I've reached the point where it simply isnt worth making a blind offer without knowing what the seller is thinking. Just too many chances for hurt feelings. My Dad taught me a strategy for that situation a number of years back and it has served me well. When someone comes with the old "make me an offer" statement, my answer is always the same. "Did you want me to appraise it or buy it?" So far it has always either gave me an insight as to the value in the sellers mind or allowed me to conclude they arent interested in selling unless someone makes a terribly over market offer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick L For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 11:19:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,401 Times in 1,546 Posts

Nothin implied is understood in this old world today. Need to SAY what you mean.
The Following User Says Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 08-25-2008, 12:59:41 AM
Registered-II

Question Re: Seller attitudes

a while back there was an add in the local newspaper oil field engine reid $4250.00 . I decided to call to see if he had any other engines as there is only a couple of people in these p arts that keeps old iron and that includes you guessed it.I asked if he had other engines and he said no so I asked if the reid ran and he said that he did not know so I asked what he was doing with it and he said he bought it because it was an antique and worth so much but he would take the best offer over $4250.00 good luck
Old 08-25-2008, 01:50:46 PM
Registered-III

My first clue was when seller said the engine "might be complete" This set off a bell to find out exactly what was there and what was not. The single picture clearly showed missing oilers, hot tube, front inspection plates and possibly fuel and main valves. Also did not know if ingine was loose or stuck. When he would not provide the additional information, I figured the machine was missing these items or the seller did not know what I was referring to , or possibly both. Either way, the less than helpfull attitude was quite uncalled for. Jim.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:59:06 PM
Registered-III

Well the seller has relisted his engine... this time with a price range. Some where between $3500 and $9500. Now that is what I call a range. Jim.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:36:28 PM
Registered-II

I saw an incident at a car salvage yard that involved a windshield in an old kaiser. A guy wanted it very bad and worked out a price including for the owner to remove it from the car. The owner had one of his guys carefully remove it without any damage and placed it on the counter. The buyer then proceded to examine and pick the windshield condition apart and then offered the owner $50.00 for it. (Original agreed on price$100.00) The owner said nothing just pushed the windshield off the counter breaking it and then informed the buyer that it was now a $50.00 windshield. You should have seen the wide open mouth of the potential buyer, he never found another windshield.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:31:10 PM
Registered-I

Jim, you've got your say at berating the sellers attitude....which is likely justified. I find it interesting that you shared his price range without sharing your offer. His "make offer" certainly opens him up to lowball offers from people who like to do that sort of thing. If you made a lowball offer before having information needed to make a fair offer, he has some justification in not wanting to answer questions or send pictures. Each to their own, but 9 times out of 10 in "make offer" situations, both sellers and buyers who are willing to play that game end up with a bad taste in their mouth from it.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:43:53 PM
Registered-III

Rick, Thanks for your imput. I made my offer based on what I saw in the picture and said so in my email. I went on to say the missing items could add about $1000 to the deal if they were included. It was obvious from the fact seller didnt know if it was loose or not that it did not run. BTW, I offered 1400 to 1600 based on the picture with missing parts. You are absolutely correct in " To each his own" Jim.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43:46 PM

Thanked 20,630 Times in 5,975 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Seller attitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gorter View Post
He replied that I was not in the price range and my offer did not justify answers or pictures. He went on to say " I may of been born at night, but not last night"
I just re-read this whole deal and I think the above pretty much says it all......

There are ways to solicit higher offers.......that isn't one of them.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 09:20:16 PM
Registered-III

I am familiar with that particular deal as well. I finally gave up and wrote it off. I figured it was not worth the trouble I would get into after dragging my trailer halfway across the country and finding out it was not what I had been told it was. I am pretty sure the engine is not what he was trying to promote it as being but a smaller one. I tried to get the seller to make some measurements that would help identify it but he was unwilling to make measurements that would be definitive of what the engine actually was, or his measurements were so far off as to be of no help. I think you are being conservative about how much the parts would be to get it going again and your bid is on the high side of what the thing should be worth. Good luck with it. It pains me to see that engine needing the attention it does, but sometimes you just have to try to tree another one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Ethridge For This Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 09:42:11 PM
Registered-III

FYI, more than half the stuff the guy is selling is best offer.

In my opinion if someone is asking "Best offer" they are hoping that you will offer them more than they would have listed it for...
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16:52 PM
Registered-III

With the economy the way it is it makes it worse....some nice old cars and trucks get junked..because scrappers will pay more..than a collector will to buy a vehicle in that condition.
My rollback is worth more at the scrap yard...than it is for sale...go figure....I have tried to sell stuff at scrap price just to save it and people don't want to pay it...sorry guys had to yell some...can't even get scrap price for this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000034.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	38881  
Old 09-03-2008, 12:17:37 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gorter View Post
Rick, Thanks for your imput. I made my offer based on what I saw in the picture and said so in my email. I went on to say the missing items could add about $1000 to the deal if they were included. It was obvious from the fact seller didnt know if it was loose or not that it did not run. BTW, I offered 1400 to 1600 based on the picture with missing parts. You are absolutely correct in " To each his own" Jim.

That doesnt seem low ball to me, For a 25hp or 30hp in the condition its in minus the missing parts?

I'm sure the more experianced Reid experts will correct me if I'm wrong.....but, doesnt the 40HP Reids' cyinder bolt up to the base differently like the 4hp Reids do, compaired to all of the other HP sizes? And I dont see this in the picture of the engine. I was just more courious to know what HP the engine actually is, rather than the selling price, or lack there of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Waggonner For This Post:
Old 09-03-2008, 01:28:07 AM
Registered-I

I didnt mean to accuse Jim of throwing out a lowball offer. I was only suggesting that in discussing the issue, his offer should be on the table as well as the sellers price range. I've been on both sides of that fence many times and can attest to the fact that sellers dont have the market cornered on attitudes. I'm no expert on values. If the ad in question is the one I suspect it is, thats probably about the same value I would have put on it as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick L For This Post:
Old 09-04-2008, 06:58:44 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Bigger View Post
With the economy the way it is it makes it worse....some nice old cars and trucks get junked..because scrappers will pay more..than a collector will to buy a vehicle in that condition.
My rollback is worth more at the scrap yard...than it is for sale...go figure....I have tried to sell stuff at scrap price just to save it and people don't want to pay it...sorry guys had to yell some...can't even get scrap price for this....
clark,

i would pay scrap price for a truck like pictured, this is just to say there are guys out there who would.

jordan
Old 10-12-2008, 03:27:12 PM
Registered-I

I hate .....make an offer. I'd say the reason for that is the seller is "fishing" for a price, and the higher the better. When you offer a "fair" price, then they say your crazy, it's like a lose lose deal. I think too people try this route cause they really don't know what it's worth, so again they go fishing for answers / offers. I've sold thousands of things in my short life, everything from Hot air balloons to race cars and I've never used that "make an offer crap". The seller should always set a price, a little higher then he wants, only cause you got to let people talk you down a bit to make them think they are getting a deal, then you settle for about what you wanted, sometimes a little less, but then it's a win win deal for both parties. It takes guts to list a price upfront, in my opinion it's cowardly to just say...make in offer.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:42:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,274 Times in 349 Posts

I met an elderly gentleman at our state fair who claimed he had a hit miss engine out in his barn on trucks. He said he was cleaning out the old iron to take to the salvage. I asked lots of questions as to make,size,condition and whether he wanted to sell it. I told him I was looking for a engine for my son who was standing there with me. He gave me his card and said to come out to his place that he was sure we could come to a good deal as he said he'd rather see a young kid buy it than have it go to scrap. After 3 weeks of playing phone tag with him I finally arranged a day to go. We drove 2 hrs (one way) only to find out it was a IH lb with a cracked head, rusted out gas tank and no cart Not what we were wanting,but being as we drove this far I asked him what he wanted. He said make me an offer,I did explaining what I could see was wrong. He got upset and said it was worth more than that. So now I figured he had to have some base price in mind so I asked him again what his bottom doller was.He just kept saying that it was worth more than I offered,so I doubled my offer(which was what a running engine would have brought) only because my son really wanted it. He said he'd check with a friend of his to see what it was worth and give me a call. I told him take it or leave it,I wasn't going to make the trip again. He still has the engine and my son is getting over it.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:56:21 AM
Allen

At the risk of repeating myself, SELLERS don't have the market cornered on pi## poor attitudes.

I've set a FAIR (not just MY opinion of fair, but on the lower side of current market) price on hundreds of items over the years, only to have some jacka## come up to me and start picking it apart with why HE thinks it isn't worth 1/4 that, or start whining how those "used to $xx" (Yeah in 1968!)....

Do I have a floor in mind on those fairly rare times I say to someone "Make me an offer"? Of course, but it puts the ball in the buyer's court and I'll know pretty much right away if it's worth my time "negotiating" with them in good faith, or they're just out to screw ME to get a "deal". I USUALLY say that right after they bluntly inform me that my price is "too high".

I've told this story before, but it illustrates my point--I was at Coolspring several years back. There was this fellow who kept coming back to look at this model engine I had. Finally he starts lowballing me, and I come down a little. Eventually, since things were slow I came down a LOT (over 25%, about what I had IN it) To a price he agrees to, but then he says "Okay, if I don't find what I'm looking for, I'll be back" and walks away. A MONTH and three shows later he comes up to me totally hacked off at ME because in the interim I had sold it (at MY price), as he VERY loudly proclaims (driving other potential customers away) "We had a deal!"

If YOU think the seller is jerking you around, maybe it's because some other a##hole has done it to him. (or maybe if you fit the above descriptions, you need to examine yourself)
Old 10-13-2008, 11:32:25 AM
Allen

Since I can't edit, I'm tacking this on as an addendum to my previous post.

I was at a show this summer and saw the following sign on a dealer table....

"I found it. I bought it. I cleaned it up. I transported it. I paid to bring it here. And now YOU think I should accept WHAT for it?"

Kind of sums it all up, doesn't it?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:20:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,584 Times in 2,414 Posts

Awhile back had a fellow contact me about a somewhat rare stationary steam engine he wanted to peddle. Missing governor (been off for probably 50 years, raining in the cylinder) no brass, half of valve eccentric missing, top part of crosshead guides gone, etc. etc. Ya'll get the picture. He asked me to make him an offer....with what all it was missing, and what all it would take to restore (price of brass oilers, price of governor, making patterns to make missing parts) I told him $500, and I'd be happy to pay him for his time to help load it. He was just adament it was rare, had to be worth a TON, he'd get back to me when he figured out what it was worth. Old big clunky stationary steam engines just ain't worth a ton, I told him, even if there aren't that many left from that maker, unless it was extremely old. Nope...he's gonna get a second opinion...I asked him what he thought it was worth, and what he would be willing to take....no clue what he thought it was worth, but more than that! Wasn't lowballing, just offered what the thing was worth, and figured I'd pay him enough to go drag it out of the woods for me to make him a happy camper. Nope!

Neither party was happy there....last time someone told me to "make 'em an offer" I was darn adament about them telling me about a price range. As soon as he did, I told him I couldn't afford it at the time, so I didn't waste his time or mine.

Mike