Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin VH4d vs. VG4D

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 9138 times

Old 03-23-2012, 08:54:55 AM
Registered

Default Wisconsin VH4d vs. VG4D

I'm new here so don't yell if this has already been answered, but I can't seem to find it in the posts...

I have an old Bobcat 610 with a Wisconsin VH4D. It uses more oil than an old detroit diesel, but it doesn't have any signs of leaking. I would assume that it escaping through the exhaust, but it doesn't have any blue smoke. I can go through a quart an hour sometimes. Any suggestions?

I'm assuming a rebuild is in the future and was wondering what the difference is between the VH4D and the VG4D? They appear to be relatively the same on the outside. I know the crank shaft has to be tapered, so I'm not worried about that. Besides the crankshaft are the engines somewhat similar (jugs, pistons, heads, etc.)? I know nothing about them, and am trying to ask a very general question to start my search for parts and possibly a donor engine. My Bobcat is just about completely rebuilt from the ground up and the engine is the last little piece. Any help is always appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 09:02:17 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: VH4d vs. VG4D

Try this link.
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?...pid=256080&ck=

Max
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21:51 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,538 Times in 4,215 Posts
Exclamation Re: VH4d vs. VG4D

For those who didn't go to the site: looks like bore and stroke are different, and the HP as well. If you have the VH4D, you might be better to stick with it. Both of these engines date from the early to mid 50s, I didn't thing bobcats were that old?
Andrew
Old 03-23-2012, 10:34:56 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: VH4d vs. VG4D

The VG is a physically much larger engine. It may not fit where the VH does.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
For those who didn't go to the site: looks like bore and stroke are different, and the HP as well. If you have the VH4D, you might be better to stick with it. Both of these engines date from the early to mid 50s, I didn't thing bobcats were that old?
Andrew
The engines may have been around that long, but were a popular skid steer engine- at one time. The latest one I've seen was on a Brush Bandit chipper I bought in 1993- it used a VH4D-1 which featured electronic ignition. It worked great on this application despite running at full speed, and was virtually trouble-free. Only problem was that after two hours and twenty minutes, the machine was out of gas.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:50:33 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wisconsin VH4d vs. VG4D

As I remember the Bobcat they were hard to work on with the VH in them because of the tight quarters. The VG is a bigger engine and I agree it probably wouldnít fit.

Phil P