Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Odd Wisconsin AK Problems...

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1840 times

Old 06-12-2012, 12:50:54 PM
Registered-I

Question Odd Wisconsin AK Problems...

Hello, so i recently picked up a Wisconsin model ak engine. Got it home sanded the points and cleaned the carb and it ran. Not perfect tho, the spark is intermediate. especially at low speeds and would cut out. I decided to do i tear down and give everything a good cleaning and paint job. got it all back together looking great and it runs. but it almost sounds like the spark timing is retarded even tho im 100% sure it isnt. the mag is timed with the right mark. when you turn the engine by hand its ignition snaps at tdc. as for the cam timing im 80% sure i got that right. on the crank there is one punch mark, and on the cam theres two punch marks. does the crank mark go in between the two marks on the cam? if so that is what i did. so what im wondering is whats going on here? it is super loud with i nice large muffler that could quiet any engine down. it lacks power. and runs really really hot. it has great compression also. could it be a faulty mag causing it to fire late? scratching my head on this one.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 03:19:51 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Odd Wisconsin AK Problems......

Hi

The easy way to tell if the valve timing is correct is to remove the valve cover and rotate the engine until TDC on the exhaust stroke. Both valves should be open for abbot 5 degrees before TDC until about 5 degrees after TDC. If you are 1 tooth off it will be apparent.

Phil P
Old 06-12-2012, 03:45:03 PM
Registered-II

Is the carb set lean? Does it run better with a little choke on?

Mike
Old 06-12-2012, 04:22:06 PM
Registered-I

the timing is set right. i just looked at a pdf manual on line

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

no the carb is out of the question. it runs the same all the time no matter what. what ever it is, i think it could be the mag. since timing is set, valves are perfect, good gaskets and rings, thats the only thing i can possibly think of. but ive never experianced this before so i have no idea. and i have rebuilt several wisconsins in my life. never seen anything like this unless it was out of time.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

then again i never pulled the crank out of a wisconsin of this age. hence the reason i didnt know if i set the timing right or not
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08:49 PM
Registered-III

Hi

I think you may want to check the valve timing anyway I did a Hercules hit and miss last December and was having similar problems and when I finally got the Valve opening and closing sequence in degrees I found the marks to be 2 teeth off.

Phil P
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29:02 PM
Registered-I

i checked it again. its on time. im going to try a differant mag today
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25:30 PM
Registered-I

update! i just got it running good. the spring in the wico mag for the impulse start was really loose and would turn when the engine was running. there for retarding the spark. second problem was i used gray rtv for that back bearing plate and it didnt give enough room for the bearings to spin with ease. that would be why it was over heating! thanks all for the help!!