Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid copper O rings

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2398 times

Old 05-03-2009, 08:05:11 PM
Sponsor

Default Reid copper O rings

Where can I get the copper O rings for the transfer valve on a 15 HP Reid. I know you can use a rubber O ring for the bottom one, I have that. Need the high presure one for the top, mine are bad. I know one of the sponsors has gaskets but I did not see reid on his list. Has anyone had them made. THANKS. Phil
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2009, 08:24:38 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Reid copper O rings

I understand John Burns has the material to make them from, he was listed on the vendors
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Johnson For This Post:
Old 05-03-2009, 08:32:53 PM
Sponsor

I will give him a call, I thought I ask him once and he did not have them.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:18:40 AM
Sponsor

I make mine out of the windings of a DC motor. Go to a motor rebuild shop and ask them for some wire that is used for DC motors. It is square. Burn the cover off and heat it cherry red and let cool. It make a great gasket for the transfer valve.
Tom Weatherford
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Weatherford For This Post:
Old 05-04-2009, 10:22:57 AM
Registered-III

I never had any luck with the the square wire, at all!
I measured the top "step" on the valve body and machined a brass square ring 0.010" taller than the step and the same OD as the valve body.

I made the bottom ring the same height as the top ring, just a larger OD to fit that part of the valve body.

This gave me a 10 thou. crush fit.

Keep in mind when you install your transfer valve use a small bottle jack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Waggonner For This Post:
Old 05-04-2009, 01:03:01 PM
Sponsor

I had thought about turning new ones on the lathe, but a little large for my small lathe. Getting opinions on the best course. If someone is making them it would save some time. Phil
Old 05-06-2009, 01:37:45 PM
Registered-II

Phil,

I've had the best luck with graphite gasket material held in brass. The brass withstands the heat and pressure, and the gasket seals. Give me a call if you want to talk about it. (517)617-5908

Joel
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 05-08-2009, 11:12:26 AM
DanR

John Burns has the correct material and the rings are simple to make.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 05-14-2009, 12:36:39 PM
Registered-III

Phil, I went thru this phase a little while ago. It is frustrating, but dont get discouraged. I bought the square copper ring matl from John Burns. He sent enough for me to build 3 or 4 rings, which was good because I had to make several sets.
Be sure to clean up the bore and and the seats for the rings in the cylinder. You need to stand on your head and wear goggles for the carbon coming down. Once you get the ring sized to fit the valve, but before you solder up the gap, heat the ring to cherry red and let it cool. This will anneal the ring and make it softer to conform to the small irregularities in the seat surfaces. Once you get the rings set and the valve installed there are some tricks to test the sealing of the rings and valve. You are very close to hearing it bark. Jim.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Gorter For This Post:
Old 05-15-2009, 09:00:05 AM
Sponsor

I made a temperary gasket by flattening some number 6 copper wire, and forming to the valve seat then anealing. It will pop now but not run. I am going to order some wire and am waiting for a made gasket. Hopefuly my back and arms will hold out a little longer to get it running. THANKS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ree33.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	54450   Click image for larger version

Name:	ree22.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	54451  
Old 05-15-2009, 06:55:29 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,268 Times in 327 Posts

Thanks for the photo's. I see where the one copper gasket goes, where does the other on go?
Thanks.
Keith
Old 05-15-2009, 07:41:01 PM
Sponsor

It goes on the bottom just abouve the mounting plate, you can just see the lip. I use a rubber O ring to seal it on the bottom, The top copper ring is the one that seals the cylinder combustion.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:46:20 PM
Registered-III

Phil, When you say pop is it moving the flywheels back to normal rotation or popping back thru charge cylinder and popoff valve.
check for a good seal on transfer valve by disconnecting the charge cylinder rod when charge piston is at TDC. then backroll the main cylinder. NO fuel or hot tube. watch the charge piston. If it starts to push out, the main cylinder pressure is leaking past, either at valve face or sealing rings.
Even after remaking several sets of rings of different materials, and tightening the valve after bottle jack assist, the charge piston on my Reid would still come out about 1/2 inch then stop. This indicated the valve had sealed after leaking a bit. I later found the valve stem to be binding a bit and holding the valve open. I filed the stem a bit and the problem quit.
Joel Sanderson was a great help in troubleshooting my engines symtoms. Good luck and keep us posted. Jim.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:40:33 PM
Sponsor

It is cycling back but not a full turn. My charging piston still moves some, but much improved, I did notice some binding on the transfer valve but it was in the spool. How tight should the valve stem be adjusted at the bottom. I still think I may be flooding out the cylinder some. THANKS. Phil
Old 05-18-2009, 02:30:30 PM
Registered-III

Phil, I am not sure what the tolerance should be on the stem. My valve fit snug when out of the engine, but had drag after tightening up the bolts. I think the bolts were causing a deflection in the guide as when removed the stem showed some scuff marks. The spool had some small scratches in the surface and I smoothed them off with some emory cloth. I left the nut loose enough to just get the keeper pin installed.
It is easy to flood the engine on propane, and it will just "chuff" with no power. Then turn off gas and pull it thru a couple times to clear out the cylinder ( I dont have a clearing valve) and try again with just a little less gas. Good luck Phil, Jim.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Gorter For This Post:
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48:56 PM
Sponsor

I think I have it down to running to much fuel and the add justment of my transfer valve. I get it to puff and do a cycle. When turning the spool up into the valve how much tenshion should there be. Should you be abel to lift the valve with one finger or should it be stiff. I think I have the wrong locking nut may be to big and putting to much tenshion on the spring. THANKS.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:45:38 PM
Registered-III

Phil, If you are worried about the spring tension, do like I did and take the spring out. My theory was the spring was helping the spool or stem to cock causing drag and leaving the valve open slightly. the spool acts like a buffer spring and wont let the valve open too fast or too far. I have seen some reids that have a wrench hanging on a spring from the valve stem to help it close. I believe the weight of the valve and the pressure of the main cylinder will close the valve if stem is clean in the bore and the face is lapped in correctly. Try it once, it worked for me. Jim.