Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag Upright Magneto

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2381 times

Old 09-07-2008, 11:59:44 PM
Subscriber

Post Maytag Upright Magneto

Maytag Guys,

I have an upright Maytag that I am working on that has a magneto. What is the correct setting for the face plate???? I see that it has a mark on the back is that for the cylinder line up??? I have it taken a part but want to put it back together and start it if I can....thanks for your time.

David

PS SN 123286 year/month?????
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2008, 10:16:50 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Maytag Upright Magneto

The spark plug lead should come out more or less at 3 o'clock when looking at the engine with the flywheel at the back and the exhaust and fuel filler in front of you.

That's an awfully late number for an upright. Most of the time a number in that range would be on a later 11 fin 82. If that is the original flywheel, it is a very late one. I'm guessing 1924.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom S For This Post:
Old 09-09-2008, 08:55:11 AM
Subscriber

I have another question???? The key way on the flywheel had been removed...what is the correct setting for that piece??? I put the piston at top center and the crank key way was at 9 o'clock and I matched up the flwheel contacts. Not sure if that is correct or not so looking for the correct information...

David
Old 09-09-2008, 01:16:34 PM
Registered-III

The upright magneto and 82 utilized a small stamped backing plate locator bracket that was bolted to the crankcase and had a cutout for the coil to slip into. Many were removed since timing and points setting can be tricky.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:58:35 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Maytag Upright Magneto

Tom thanks for the help. As you can see by the photo I have to change it to the other side, as I read it wrong the first time. I still do not have fire as I think that the key way is not in the correct position. As far as i know the flywheel is correct. It does have a high # for an upright as I have a few 82s and they are close one starts 128XXX.
I posted a few photos so everyone can see what I have been doing.
Another question that I have is what is the outside diameter of the part # S 170 and S 226 I posted a photo of two flywheels and they are both different sizes. The one on the left is 1 1/8" and the right is 7/8".
Thanks for all the help that everyone here has given me. I have been working on Maytags for about 25 years with no help till i found this site.
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02206.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	39488   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02207.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	39489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02208.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	39490  
Old 09-11-2008, 11:35:05 PM
Registered-III

That Maytag looks very promising!
25 years without any help? I'm sure you have plenty to share with others then! I just got into the hobby and if it wasn't for SmokStak I would be lost.

Be sure to take lots of pics through your stages since pictures are always worth many words.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:27:46 PM
Subscriber

Be sure to have the arrow on the coupling disc, ( flywheel hub), lined up to the arrow on the flywheel. Some hubs had a nice cast in arrow and some had more of a scribed arrow which gets hard to see from the rust.

All the mag uprights that ran a washing machine would have use a shorter hub and the key would have been shared between the hub and the fiber gear that ran the would tub washer. Likewise, the early 82 And the 72 fruit jar used a short hub with a crank shaft key that shared half way with the hub and half way with a flat pulley.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom S For This Post:
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42:30 AM
Subscriber

Post Re: Maytag Upright Magneto

Tom

On the hub it does not have an arrow...it does have to punch dots that line up with the arrow on the flywheel. I got spark ot of her lastnight but it would not fire. I placed here where you had told me to.

Question is where does the point need to seperate??? before top dead center...top dead center...or after top dead center....I can move the coil plate to get is in the right place...also on the back of the coil plate there is an arrow that is to the right of the plug wire outlet...which is to the left if you are looking at the flywheel....does that have anything to do with anything?????
Old 09-14-2008, 02:44:43 PM
Registered-III

Nice maytags. Usally they fire right before top dead center. Hope you get the old girl running.
CJ
The Following User Says Thank You to CJBennett For This Post: