Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Wisconsin T-Head Restoration Log

this thread has 238 replies and has been viewed 74320 times

Old 08-12-2012, 04:28:50 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,609 Times in 433 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin T-Head Restoration Log

Thanks Ray!

Now its back to pattern making.... Previously I had described and posted photos of the progress of the pattern for part no. A28A (Lower Water Manifold Center Section)

After discussions with Peter Grant - Owner of Odd Duck Foundry, I realized that the way I had it setup woudn't have allowed the top of the tee to pull clean. He suggested an additional partline in the neck. So with that in mind I went back to the original piece and had a closer look. After a little work with some steel wool....there it was... clear evidence of a partline in the neck just as Peter had suggested.

A quick trip through the bandsaw, addition of some dowels and now we have a nice four part pattern.

The idea is that after ramming-up the cope the follower will be pulled leaving the pattern pieces in place. Then the other halves of the pattern will be placed and the drag rammed-up. Then to pull the patterns the Tee is pulled first followed by the neck and flange. - thats the idea anyway.

A small ridge will be left by the partline in the neck but this can be carefully scraped-down before placing the cores so no indentation will be left in the final casting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 05:54:18 PM
Registered

Ok...here is the complete set of patterns and core boxes for Part A28A. As mentioned before the pattern is comprised of four pieces and a follower.

The core boxes represented an interesting problem. The only practical way (as far as I could see) to make the cores was to mold them in four pieces just like the pattern. However, this would require a glued butt joint at the neck. While it would work it would be better to have lap joints.

Because there is no draft in the core box at the lap joints, I made the side of the boxes removable to facilitate removing the molded core. Once the cores are cured the pieces will be glued together and with a couple of chaplets for support it should work just fine.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52:04 PM
Registered

Today, Peter of the Odd Duck Foundry cast Part No. A33A (Lower Water Manifold Extension on Pump)

Here are the two halves of the core ready for assembly.

While the cores were baking Peter prepared the Cope (upper section of the flask) by placing the pattern and follower into position.

This is what the Cope looked like after the follower was removed. It gives you a clear idea of how deep he would of had to "cope" or dig to get the partline without the aid of a follower and how it indexed the flange in the proper position to allow it to pull clean.

Once the other half of the pattern is placed he rammed-up the Drag (bottom half of the flask) the flask will be flipped and opened then he will cut the gates, vents etc. in the Cope and he will be ready to pour.

Obviously Peter forgot the Foundryman's prayer or he held the tongs wrong!

For the next attempt Peter will adjust the gating and hopefully we will have a nice new casting!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 08-22-2012, 09:54:52 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,143 Times in 763 Posts

woops! i just came in from doing a lost foam pour that didnt work too good either
Old 08-24-2012, 07:57:45 PM
Registered

Yesterday I took my Princess on a Daddy/Daughter Day outing to Don's.
She was excited because she saw an Owl fly across the road and Don gave her a jug of his wonderful maple syrup.

I was excited because I picked-up a couple more valve springs. They may not be perfect but I now have a complete, functional set and and they are far
better than the slinkys (foreground) that came with the engine

We also got to checkout Don's sawmill and his Maple Sugar House and of course talk about Lombards!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:04:42 PM
Registered

After what seems like ages I can finally check-off (almost) a complete assembly. If you recall what back in post #119 I had payed a visit to the Odd Duck Foundry and Peter had cast the pieces for the upper water manifold (Parts No. A18A, A19A, A20A & A32A)

Well here they are after machining and polishing - Over 40 inches of gleaming brass and bronze. I still have a few details to complete - fabricating a couple of high crown bolts and removing the plating from the nuts. The pieces will be joined together with 1-1/2" radiator hose. Currently waiting to order the hose (red wrapped hose) and the proper wire clamps. Should look real nice!

Special thanks to Peter Grant of Odd Duck Foundry to the foundry 101 lessons and letting me get in the way.

I have quite a sense of pride in ths assembly having developed it from measurement to drawings to pattens to finished casting.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:10:53 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Great job so far! I'm really looking forward to seeing a nice high def video of that one starting and running.

In the foreground of the middle photo it looks like you have a downdraft 6-banger Franklin engine - prolly mid 1920's.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06:00 PM
Registered

Sharp eyes Elden! Its a 1929 135 series. Two stuck pistons, two broken pistons and a whole bunch of stuck valves. Another project for another day!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30:40 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Off-topic but when I was about 16, a friend got ahold of a very wellused '29 Franklin sedan.

I got it running but it had a bad piston knock and missed on one cylinder.

One broken piston skirt, a burned valve and severely cracked rod bearing poured babbitt, as I recall. That was a show stopper due to expense and the car was sold to someone who had the means to do the restoration.

I was really impressed when I tore it down. The rods were Lynite, an aluminum alloy! After that, I had more respect for the engineering aspects of the Franklin automobile.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:11:46 AM
Registered

Elden,

Franklin was indeed ahead of the times. The bearings in this one are thin diecast insets. If I recall correctly H.H. Franklin was a pioneer in diecast metal. Nowadays folks are boring the rods to take inserts from Toyota.

They are known to be a very smooth running engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 01:45:19 PM
Registered

This weeks adventure was fabrication of a tool for bending the 12 Valve Spring Cover Clamps (Part No. 034X)
I know, I know I should have used steel but I didn't have any decent pieces available but I did have this box of misc. brass that a friend gave me and it was close at hand..However I did recycle an old valve stem from the beast for the handle and pins.

To bend the eylets I will use a simple two pin setup. Now Iam just waiting for the order of spring steel to come in!

Anyway here is the result:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 03:23:02 PM
Registered

So today I was able to put my high-tech spring clip bender tool to good use. After perfecting a trchnique (somewhat) I worked pretty well. Only Nine more to go!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:57:19 PM
Registered

Thanks to the assistance of my friend Dave and the use of his Nephew's shop we were able to press in the new valve guides today.

Now Its time to finish the blocks!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57:04 PM
Registered

I have been following this since you started this log and I have to say that watching you bring this engine back to life has been facinating.

When its finally ready to run, hearing it come back to life the first time is going awesome. I look forward to it and I may even have to crack open a beverage and make a little toast to the effort that you have made.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 03:13:57 AM
Registered

Just found this thread. Amazing work. When I first saw the slinky valve springs and read of the lack of soft metals, I thought perhaps the engine had been in a fire. But then you mention the damage done by the hackers so that idea was out. Congratulations on the project.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30:01 AM
Registered

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44:44 PM
Registered

Well, I have been moving rather slow over the past couple of months which is typical this time of year for me. Anyway I did get the pattern for Part No. A29A (Lower Water Manifold Front Section) done. Currently I am working on the core boxes for this piece then its onto the last of the Water Manifold pieces.

As with Part No. A28A this one required a follower and a four-part pattern. This piece is a good example of the need to consider machining proceedures when creating a pattern.

In this case I left the large diameter straight section, which connects to the extension off the water pump via a coupling nut, extra long. This will allow me to hold it in the lathe so I can turn to diameter and cut the threads. Once this is complete It will be cut to length. The counterbore will be performed on the mill.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:09:18 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,200 Posts

Nice work as always. Thanks for the pictures and continued updates.
It's a shame that noone will likely need your patterns for another engine, but who knows? Kevin
Old 01-01-2013, 03:02:56 PM
Registered

i have not checked this thread in a while and you are doing great. keep those pictures coming.

on boxing day i took out my lombard sleigh for alittle ride on the front of my cat train.

thansk
KoO
Published Author
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55:54 PM
Registered

Hello Folks,

Just wanted to invite you all to the Owls Head Transportation Museum on January 12thfor a presentation of “From Nowhere to Nowhere".
Centered on the history and operation of the Eagle Lake & West Branch Railroad, "From Nowhere to Nowhere” tells the story of the early mechanization of Maine’s North woods during the first three decades of the last century – an era when steam and steel replace horse and brute manpower in the remote logging camps of the Allagash -when Lombards, Locomotives, steam boats and a Tramway ruled the forest.

Drawing on over 30 years research, with numerous, never seen before Images Interwoven with history, personal stories and anecdotes of those who lived, worked and raised families in this remote region, “From Nowhere to No Where” tells the vivid story of life in Maine’s Allagash Wilderness during the 1900-1933 period as well as the efforts to document, and preserve this remarkable slice of Maine history.

The presentation begins at 1:00 pm and admission to the event is free.

More info on up-coming programs here:
http://bangordailynews.com/event/tra...cation-series/

If you have never had a chance to visit the museum I urge you to take the opertunity the view this wonderful collection.

Hope to see you there!

Best regards,

Terry Harper

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post: