Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

F/M "RV" Magneto Questions

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2880 times

Old 03-04-2006, 02:40:48 PM
Registered-II

Default F/M "RV" Magneto Questions

I have a 1935 FM 2 hp Z engine. After a lot of research I have determined that it has a "RV" Magneto on it. This mag throws a nice spark and my engine is an easy starter. But I would like more info on this mag. Point settings, service requirements and maybe where I could get a repair manual for it. The sources I have found offer 2 and 4 cylinder versions of the mag but I would like info on my great working single mag. I would even like to find a good picture of this mag if anyone can help........

Love this forum and thanks for your help......

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2006, 06:33:18 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: F/M "RV" Magneto Questions

Lisa,
The RV-1 does throw a hot spark. The J magneto takes a little more speed to get the same spark! I also am familiar with the R magneto, this one seemed to be the hottest.
I put new points in a RV-1 last year and I think I gapped them between .012" and .015". I don't have a picture on hand but could get one. I don't know of any service the magnetos need until they quit working. A new condenser if it's bad or recharging of the magnets, but if it's working I'd leave it alone.

Erik Grund
Old 03-08-2006, 03:13:18 PM
Registered-II

Hi Erik.....

Thanks for the information. With all my research lately I have discovered I have a "RV" mag on my engine. But I can't get any information on this mag such as Service, Adjustments or repairs......... Also I'm still looking for a picture of this "RV" style so I can confirm this is exactly what I have..........

Any further information I can get will be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:16:11 PM
Registered-III

I can take a picture but it will be a couple of days before I can get to the engine.

Erik
Old 03-08-2006, 06:33:00 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Johnson
Hi Erik.....

Thanks for the information. With all my research lately I have discovered I have a "RV" mag on my engine. But I can't get any information on this mag such as Service, Adjustments or repairs......... Also I'm still looking for a picture of this "RV" style so I can confirm this is exactly what I have..........

Any further information I can get will be appreciated.
I have an RV-1 in my lap right now. (I guess I better not give it a spin ! LOL !)

It pretty hard to mistake an RV-1: It has a round flat cover opposite end from the drive shaft end that is held on by 3 screws and this plate has raised lettering on it that says: FAIRBANKS MORSE in an arc acrosss the top half and MAGNETO in an arc on the borttom half; and in the middle, there is raised lettering saying TYPE RV followed by a small raised boss that has a 1 stamped on it.

Furthermore, the top almost half of the magneto is a magneto cap of a plastic material that has a sparkplug wire connection opening that protrudes from the top-center of the cap. The cap on "mine" is held on with 4 fillister head screws.

I do not know of another magneto that resembles an RV-1 a whole lot.

Sorry I cannot provide a photo at this time but I can say that the two RV-1 magnetos that I have throw large sparks, although 1/2" might be the slightest exaggeration. My other one is missing the cap and will jump an internal spark from the coil high tension lead to the mag housing if I try to increase the gap to 1/2"

Besides, this really isn't the best thing to do to your coil on a regular basis.

I have an "R" that performs this well, too. A real flamethrower. A "J" mag really should go to this level too.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:30:50 PM
Registered-II

Smile Re: F/M "RV" Magneto Questions

Dear Kid..........

Thanks so much for the detailed description. You have described my mag to a tee....... Who needs a picture now. And yes after I serviced mine and still had it in the vise it threw a spark with just the snap of my fingers that traveled out the top of the cap and down the side to the cap screw. Very impressive. When I saw that I knew I was ready to go and reinstalled the mag and the engine fired right up. What I'm looking for now I guess is some printed literature on overhaul and repair. Point adjustment specs would be helpful too. But now I know I have a RV-1 mag.......

I so appreciate the help.....
Thanks.... Lisa
Old 03-09-2006, 03:19:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,098 Times in 755 Posts

Here is a picture of a type j mag with impulse setup on a wisconsin abn she shoots a HOT blue spark found out the hard way
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...444&a=32111733
Old 03-09-2006, 05:07:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,163 Posts

I think the "RV-1" mag is the hottest that Fairbanks Morse ever made ...If you roll the armature over and the points break, it's GONNA FIRE!...Who needs an impulse with a mag that hot?...I guess the first time I discovered this is when I had one off the engine. Then, like an idiot, rolled the gear over with my fingers in the wrong place.... I learned REAL QUICK how hot they were ...I think 1/2 inch in the open air is about right...And a 1/4 inch under compression...I don't run 'em with a gap like that 'cause I suspect it would be rough on the coil windings. But they are capable of it.

David M.
ILTFME
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32:45 AM
jeff jamerson

so ... kid dynamo? since you seem to have an extra rv-1... want to donate one to my cause? i wil even come pick it up.
sorry .. i had to ask jeff