Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

I found this ugly, crudy coil and


this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3522 times

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2006, 12:43:44 AM
Paul Spence's Avatar
Paul Spence Paul Spence is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 5,285
Thanks: 5,836
Thanked 7,669 Times in 1,690 Posts
Images: 18
Question I found this ugly, crudy coil and

bought it anyway because it was one I don't have. Now that it's refurbished, it really "LOOKS" and "WORKS" better than new? The spark adjustment can go from a slow quiet bzzzz to one that would knock your fillings out ZZZZAAAPPP. #@~&*!#? I hate when that happens. The construction of this New Way coil for an Air Cooled engine is quite substantial with its solid brass hardware. It's not cheaply made like most buzz/T type coils found by other makers. I guess I need to get an Air Cooled New Way engine to go with the coil, or something . It's "NICE" . Just thought I would share some of the fun I'm having (before and after photos), even in NJ, on the way through..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newway.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	8044   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	8045   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	8046   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	8047  
__________________
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:52:13 AM
Elden DuRand's Avatar
Elden DuRand Elden DuRand is offline
In Memory Of
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Port St. Joe, Florida, USA
Posts: 7,833
Thanks: 13,116
Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts
Images: 11
Default Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

Paul:

It ain't cruddy and ugly no more!

Take care - Elden
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2006, 05:31:50 PM
Jim Tremble Jim Tremble is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,924
Thanks: 4,834
Thanked 738 Times in 373 Posts
Default Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spence
bought it anyway because it was one I don't have. Now that it's refurbished, it really "LOOKS" and "WORKS" better than new? The spark adjustment can go from a slow quiet bzzzz to one that would knock your fillings out ZZZZAAAPPP. #@~&*!#? I hate when that happens. The construction of this New Way coil for an Air Cooled engine is quite substantial with its solid brass hardware. It's not cheaply made like most buzz/T type coils found by other makers. I guess I need to get an Air Cooled New Way engine to go with the coil, or something . It's "NICE" . Just thought I would share some of the fun I'm having (before and after photos), even in NJ, on the way through..........
Paul

I have one just like it. I don't know how to test it as I have no idea what post is what.

Can you give me the the data for each post (4-2 on the side and 2 on the front) on the coil ??

Thanks,

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2006, 05:54:13 PM
Junkologist's Avatar
Junkologist Junkologist is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Avon, Ohio, USA
Posts: 4,484
Thanks: 3,111
Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,729 Posts
Images: 160
Default Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

Paul,
That coil was actually made by Kingston and then sold as a New-Way accessory. I have one that is identicle, but with a Kingston decal. They are good, hot coils. You did a nice job on that one.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2006, 05:57:10 PM
Jim Sherman's Avatar
Jim Sherman Jim Sherman is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vashon, Washington
Posts: 1,228
Thanks: 777
Thanked 1,300 Times in 308 Posts
Images: 84
Default Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

http://www.old-engine.com/magbuz.htm

The posts on the top of this one may be the same as the ones on the side of the New Way coil.
__________________
Jim Sherman

My website
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2006, 11:09:58 PM
John Davis's Avatar
John Davis John Davis is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saint Cloud, Florida, USA
Posts: 1,424
Thanks: 385
Thanked 1,159 Times in 335 Posts
Thumbs up Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

Paul,

You know if you keep buying all that good! Junk! your going to have more stuff acumilating and more stuff to take care of and clean up.

Have Fun!

John
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2006, 11:29:08 PM
Jim Sherman's Avatar
Jim Sherman Jim Sherman is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vashon, Washington
Posts: 1,228
Thanks: 777
Thanked 1,300 Times in 308 Posts
Images: 84
Photo Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

I think mine is a Kingston too but pretty much the same as the New Way coil, it's one hot coil! I had to put a new capacitor in it to make it hot....



__________________
Jim Sherman

My website
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-04-2006, 04:36:19 AM
Paul Spence's Avatar
Paul Spence Paul Spence is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 5,285
Thanks: 5,836
Thanked 7,669 Times in 1,690 Posts
Images: 18
Default Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tremble
Paul

I have one just like it. I don't know how to test it as I have no idea what post is what.

Can you give me the the data for each post (4-2 on the side and 2 on the front) on the coil ??

Thanks,

Jim
Jim: The two on the front are for the battery connections + and -. The two on the side are for the spark plug PLUG and ground. There are no markings at each of the terminals . I switched the wires around in all the possible combinations and it always worked fine ZZZZAAAPP #*^@$&*+ DARN IT OH WELL....
__________________
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2006, 04:41:19 AM
Paul Spence's Avatar
Paul Spence Paul Spence is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 5,285
Thanks: 5,836
Thanked 7,669 Times in 1,690 Posts
Images: 18
Default Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis
Paul,

You know if you keep buying all that good! Junk! your going to have more stuff acumilating and more stuff to take care of and clean up.
Have Fun!

John
John: I can't stop . Not sure I want to either . Just having fun, even in NJ
__________________
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2006, 04:44:06 AM
Paul Spence's Avatar
Paul Spence Paul Spence is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 5,285
Thanks: 5,836
Thanked 7,669 Times in 1,690 Posts
Images: 18
Default Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkologist
Paul,
That coil was actually made by Kingston and then sold as a New-Way accessory. I have one that is identicle, but with a Kingston decal. They are good, hot coils. You did a nice job on that one.

Mike
Thanks Mike .
__________________
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-04-2006, 09:59:05 AM
Jim Tremble Jim Tremble is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,924
Thanks: 4,834
Thanked 738 Times in 373 Posts
Default Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spence
Jim: The two on the front are for the battery connections + and -. The two on the side are for the spark plug PLUG and ground. There are no markings at each of the terminals . I switched the wires around in all the possible combinations and it always worked fine :
Thanks,

I will wire it up as to Jim's photo. Sounds like that is what you are explaining.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-04-2006, 11:07:52 AM
Rick Strobel's Avatar
Rick Strobel Rick Strobel is offline
Registered-III
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: East Helena, Montana
Posts: 1,116
Thanks: 2,349
Thanked 211 Times in 107 Posts
Images: 20
Default Re: I found this ugly, crudy coil and

Very NICE JOB Paul;

Well if it ever needs a new home...sure would look nice on my 4.5 hp. Paint should be going on soon.

http://community.webshots.com/album/471752277SOWnom


Regards
RickinMt.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

F o r u m Jump

Similar Threads Chosen at Random
Thread Thread Starter F o r u m Replies Last Post
Ugly Maytag Runs! Samuel.G Maytag Engine Collectibles 4 10-27-2007 09:07:59 PM
Would you buy an Ugly engine? Jebaroni Antique Gas Engine Discussion 28 10-01-2007 01:43:03 AM
The good, bad, and ugly truth of traction engines Jim Jake Templin Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines 69 06-21-2006 10:33:39 PM
Small "BUZZZ COIL" from parts found Paul Spence Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs 3 07-24-2005 03:43:22 PM
Aermotor "Ugly" Rocker Clone Project Elden DuRand Antique Gas Engine Discussion 2 05-30-2005 06:57:29 PM


Use "Ctrl" mouse wheel to change screen size.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18:46 PM.

Smokstak and Enginads site search!


All use is subject to our TERMS OF SERVICE
SMOKSTAK® is a Registered Trade Mark - A Community of Antique Engine Enthusiasts
Copyright © 2000 - 2019 by Harry Matthews P.O. Box 5612 - Sarasota, FL 34277