Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

A Root & Vandervoort 1HP - ½ scale engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1949 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2011, 10:19:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,927 Times in 1,741 Posts
Default A Root & Vandervoort 1HP - ½ scale engine

was found on a guy’s trailer fender at the Coolspring, Pa. show on the “LAST” day? It looked OK, complete, dry, and with little compression. He said he builds models, gets them running and then puts them on the shelf. It was covered in brass debris from grinding other brass parts in the shop. He wanted X $’s, but was open to offers so I did just that. Well you know the story, “OH, I can’t do that”. So, I bumped the offer by a hundred, and then another hundred before he said “OK”. I paid for it and grabbed it by the flywheel and walked away. I cleaned the filings and old oil off it at our Coolspring spot and boxed it up for the ride home. I got it running at home and the compression came right up after oiling. The latch arm against the gear was ground away to much and the latch finger was a good ½” away from the catch and a good ¼” play when latched up (clank-clankety-clank) . I got the torch and braze rod out and built up the boss about ¼” and ground it to fit. I dug out a used hacksaw blade (I save a lot of stuff) and made a new latch finger to fit. I now have about a 1/16” play for both latch clearances . It still needs a few “MINOR” adjustments to get it the way I want it. I’m going to replace the extended all rod with “CUSTOM” made bolts with brass acorn nuts making it “LOOK EVEN BETTER” . I contacted Rocky's Model Shop and for $10 am getting a full set of plans for the model. The Coolspring, Pa. show was a lot of fun, but I still am having fun in the shop, even in NJ where it’s going to rain for the next day or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2742.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	109115   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2743.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	109116   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2746.jpg
Views:	166