Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Waterloo Boy Decal

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2882 times

Old 05-07-2007, 10:38:07 PM
Registered

Default Waterloo Boy Decal

I have a 1912, 1 1/2 hp Waterloo Boy. I have been told it should be red, but it looks grey or grey/blue. The decal doesn't look right. Does anyone recognize it? I am not sure how to proceed in restoring it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0594.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	18860   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0601.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	18861  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2007, 11:34:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,515 Times in 1,666 Posts
Default Re: Waterloo Boy Decal

That looks like a United decal. If the rest of the engine looks like the photo.... DON'T RESTORE IT. Clean it up good, spray it down with Gibbs or the concoction I use of 1/2 Mineral Spirits and 1/2 Boiled Linseed oil. It will look better than one freshly painted and will be worth more too.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:37:53 PM
Defective Email Address

Thanked 1,008 Times in 417 Posts

Yeah, I would be pretty tempted to call it a Waterloo United too. I also agree about the paint, I sure wouldn't do anything more than clean it some.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:18:01 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,200 Posts

What they're saying LC,
Is that it's a known fact that Waterloo did some contract work for United.
I believe Waterloo contracted a few for Economy in the same way.

A much more common arrangement is where Hercules did contract work for Economy, Jaeger, Arco etc...
Now imagine if they were very rare instead of very common. You find a red "Hercules"; everyone tells you it should be green, and the decal doesn't match all the other Hercules. It's not supposed to. It was built by Herc FOR Sears and called an "Economy". What a mistake it would be to sandblast it and paint it green thinking you put it back to "original".
If you want a shiny engine, I'm sure you could easily trade the one you have for a newly restored one of any color you prefer. Please think about it. It's your engine, but if you want to do the "right" thing as far as preserving history, there is only one choice. Kevin
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05:35 AM
Subscriber

The earliest Waterloo United I have in the United Registry is 36xxx so the 31xxx number is certainly a possibility. However I think it is not a United. I would expect for the tag to read "United", and this one does not. Looking close at the decal and comparing it, I think they are slightly different. Also, early Uniteds had stenciled names, with the decal appearing later, maybe late teens.

All that said, I love original engines. There were grey Waterloo Boys. There is a nice decal. This engine, whatever it is is unusual and original, and worth preserving. I made the mistake of painting a nice Galloway years ago. Wish I hadn't.

Dick Webber
United Registry
Old 05-08-2007, 03:36:26 AM
Registered

You'll find an oddball color from a number of different engine builders, that are normally a certain color. Sometimes, a big outfit would order engines for their own reason's, in a different color. I had a red Fuller & Johnson, that was all original w/an original Fuller decal. It had been sold & shipped to an Iowa construction company, in 1922. You have a nice, rare find of a somewhat common engine. I agree...just clean it up, spray or wipe it down with some good penatrating oil & enjoy it!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:40:32 AM
Registered

Is there any sure way to find out what it is?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:19:43 AM
Registered

I know of a similar engine painted blue with a tag that reads United States Engine Co.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32:49 AM
Registered

I can make out engine Company, but that is all on the Decal. It doesn't show up in the picture. Do you have a picture of the engine you mentioned, or know the name of the person who owns it?
Tim
Old 05-08-2007, 06:52:32 PM
Registered

Tim,

Whatever you do do not repaint this engine. They look better this way. Likr they say its only original once.

Jordan
Old 06-27-2011, 10:34:57 PM
Registered

Found this old discussion, with the photo of the silvery stylized shield decal. I just got what I believe to be a Waterloo Boy with the exact same decal, and the original engine paint is the same unusual grey or grey/blue as described. (Mine has a wet head though.) On my decal, I can read that the top ribbon says "The Waterloo..." and something more.

Does anybody have a better photo of what this decal used to look like?

-Rick I.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:53:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,361 Posts

Rick,
Here are photos of decal & tag from a friend's engine. It's a Waterloo built for Lunt-Moss, a large distributor in Boston. Same Lunt that later became part of Bracket, Shaw & Lunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3119 (Medium).JPG
Views:	101
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	109549   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3122 (Medium).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	109550  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:39:36 AM
Registered

Oh, that's a nice one, thanks!!

-Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick I For This Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,475 Posts

Waterloo made engines for about 60 different co, On page 265 of Wendels 1st book is a Knowlton Engine that is a exact duplicate of these style Waterloo Boys which I have a 1915 ,1914. Look on the right side under crank main some have a casting date some are on the left under ignitor too. Jeff Knowlton took a design of his, to Waterloo Engine co for the open jacket design and never patented it,in return he got Castings very reasonable for his co wich folded in 1915. Wondering what kind of Decal he used if any? Some I have read state that the Grenish grey you see is the primer and some say Vice Versa the only paint I could find on the 1915 Was Red and the recent one is Greenish,Greyish, and some Red that was under the head area and on hopper But otherwise Bald hope there is some under engine when I feel better and take off old skids by the way the No. is also stamped on the left side on the crankshaft end if it hasnt been replaced
Old 06-30-2011, 12:11:37 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,589 Times in 371 Posts
Photo Re: Waterloo Boy Decal

Doug,
I am glad that you posted that picture. Dad had picked up this decal at portland in the spring. I had never seen it before on a waterloo engine, Seeing it on these two engines in this post confirms that waterloo used this at some time as well as the other designs.

This decal, if you pay close attention is missing much of the text (wording) as well as some ornate scrolls in the gold part of the badge/crest. It looks like whoever redrew this decal missed on which parts were red and which parts were gold.

Doug is there anyway you can take a dead straight-on picture of that decal with as high of resolution as your camera will do and email it to me? I would really like to reproduce these. If you just attach the image here in a post, the picture gets compressed which causes the picture to loose some of its clarity and details, so if you could email it to me.....I would really appreciate it.

Waterloo Billy Boy
Old 06-30-2011, 07:10:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,361 Posts

Rob,
I can do that. Probably early next week. Do you need measurements also? If you don't hear from me by next Wednesday give me a jog. Will need your email address. I'd be interested in a couple of decals myself.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:48:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,245 Times in 340 Posts

Rob,If and when you get the decals made, please let us know as I would be interested in a couple also. thanks, Mark