Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Minneapolis Traction Engine 8352

this thread has 74 replies and has been viewed 14310 times

Old 11-15-2014, 08:19:12 PM
Registered-I

Photo Minneapolis Traction Engine 8352

I just wanted to say Hello and introduce myself. I have several gas tractors and a few gas engines. I have always found steam interesting and wanted to own an engine at some point in my life. This summer I found an engine that was being stored at a friends house for the past few years. After a conversation I found out that it may be for sale. I told another friend about it and he said if it was for sale he would be interested in going halves with me. I made contact with the owner and after a few phone calls and few months went by we struck a deal. So as of today Im half owner of a Minneapolis 20HP traction engine !! The engine needs some work as well as boiler repair. Overall I feel its in good shape. I wanted to see if anyone on here had any pointers they could share with us as new engine owners. Also if there any other Minneapolis engines in south central Pa ? And if there is any parts out there like fire box doors or pinion gears. The engine was owned in the 80's by the Smith family and was shown at Williams Grove , if anyone knows of this engine or may have any history on it I would be interested to talk with you. I will attach a few pictures of it . Thanks in advance for any and all your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	210880   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	210881   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	210882   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	210883  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2014, 08:44:00 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Minneapolis Traction Engine 8352

Welcome to the world of steam... Ask lots of questions....take all answers with a grane of salt... have lots of fun.

I remember seeing that engine years ago, but don't know any details.
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to TractionEngines For This Post:
Old 11-15-2014, 08:56:54 PM
Registered-I

One thing I wanted to ask was in my other post was if Gerald Parker was still around ? I have a letter from him to a previous owner about the engine.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2014, 09:56:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,244 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyiron2 View Post
One thing I wanted to ask was in my other post was if Gerald Parker was still around ? I have a letter from him to a previous owner about the engine.
Thanks
I think Gerald Parker is still around I'm pretty sure he has all of the original drawings/blue prints from the Rynda auction. Also you may want to get in contact with Jerrad Ruble. He has about 10 Minnies and I think he has a parts engine or two. He is one here at times. You can get contact info on his website just google like heritage park forest city iowa. I've met him a couple of times he's a really nice guy.

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 11-15-2014, 10:13:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,792 Times in 855 Posts

Yes, Gerald Parker is still a Minneapolis guru, active with the Rollag show, and occasionally posts here.

Some Rollag guys are already preparing for the Minneapolis Expo in 2016.

I believe 20 was a fairly popular size, so you should be able to find parts and information.

As Tim noted: Gerald Parker has serial numbers and prints; Jerred Ruble is a good suggestion too - he has a 20, one of the last built, in his collection.

You noted boiler work, so you already know enough to not just throw a fire in it. Inspect it well, some argue it isn't trustworthy, but I'll recommend thorough UT readings along with thorough visual. The bottom of the firebox, the grate line, the wet bottom, are all good spots to start.

A new fusible plug. Above all, don't let your water get low enough to need it though. Know the correlation between your gage and pop-pressures.

Only use steam oil in the oiler, make sure the oiler works too. Good lubrication all over can only help keep wear minimized.

Actually, just sign up for Steam School!

Oh, thanks for the photos too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreasyIron For This Post:
Old 11-16-2014, 01:21:52 PM
Registered-I

Thanks for the pointers so far!! I will be looking forward to talking with Mr Parker. What would be the best way to contact Mr Ruble ?

Oh Greasyiron , I know enough to get me in trouble . I have been reading the post on here for the past few weeks and hve learned a lot by doing so . Also I have been in contact with a local person who is very knowledgable of steam. I did sign up for steam school but currently on the standby list. I have left a message at another steam school but have not heard back from them. There is one other that Im goin gto check with this week .

Was there ever a parts manual or operators manual for these engines ?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:40:52 PM
Subscriber

Look for a copy of "Steam Engine Guide" by Professor Rose. It must be in its 20th reprinting or so.... A good overall book of many of the basics...

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

The Case manual has been reprinted and is also very good. Don't spend a lot of money on old original text books. There is a reason the two I mention are always available. If you can digest and obey what these two books teach you will be well on your way to being a safe and competent operator. You will always be learning, but these books will give you a proper foundation IMHO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Mead For This Post:
Old 11-16-2014, 10:27:00 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers so far!! I will be looking forward to talking with Mr Parker. What would be the best way to contact Mr Ruble ?
I did sign up for steam school but currently on the standby list. I have left a message at another steam school but have not heard back from them. There is one other that Im goin gto check with this week .

Heritage Park Steam School

May of 2015. I'd assume the 2015 sign up list should be coming out in December. I know at least one fellow from your part of the country found it worth coming out too - repeatedly.

Heritage Park Contacts

You're looking for Antique Power Shows, Steam School, etc.

Regarding manuals, no idea about Minneapolis; perhaps another Parker or Ruble question. I'll second the Case manual though. That is part of the literature at the University of Rollag steam school (June; probably filling up fast now); noting that, you'll probably also receive some good literature in general with any steam school.

I forgot to mention while you're putting in that new fusible, really check the steel around there - another classic area for thinning metal. The crown sheet is bad place to have thin metal at that; as though there is a good place on a boiler to have thinning.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreasyIron For This Post:
Old 11-16-2014, 11:10:23 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Hi Rustyiron2,
Congrats on your purchase. There were no operators manuals put out by Minneapolis. There were parts lists with prices but they are just that, a list and for the most part not illustrated with exploded views. In the back there are a couple illustrations for things that were purchased from other manufacturers like the Gardner governor and displacement oilers but nothing about the engines themselves. It is too bad that they never did that.
It is nice you have the gear pump on yours.
Hope you can get things squared away with your engine, the 20 is a nice engine to run. I help with one myself.

Darren
The Following User Says Thank You to Darren Gunderson For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 09:30:11 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyIron View Post
May of 2015. I'd assume the 2015 sign up list should be coming out in December. I know at least one fellow from your part of the country found it worth coming out too - repeatedly.
'Craig H' is who GreayIron is alluding to. He is maybe 2hrs away from Gettysburg, but you might want to see about the Rough and Tumble steam school too; it is at least in your part of the country over in Kinzers PA.

Having said that, Heritage Park's steam school is the best there is and highly recommended and very much worth the trip
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to isubsmith For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 02:04:01 PM
Registered-II

Post Re: Minneapolis Traction Engine 8352

I have all the parts you need, send me a email at 110hpcase@gmail.com. Dan
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Case-d For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 03:31:53 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case-d View Post
I have all the parts you need, send me a email at 110hpcase@gmail.com. Dan
I will send one later tonight. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyiron2 For This Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 09:04:41 PM
Subscriber

Soooooo..... Any updates? Did you find all the parts you needed & all the information you were pondering?

I see that Forest City Heritage Park Steam School enrollment recently opened.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:34:34 PM
Registered-III

Welcome to the Stak!
From One Minnie operator to another...You Will Love that Machine!

We have Firedoor and frame if you are still looking.
Steve Harris
Old 11-20-2014, 10:48:09 PM
Registered-I

Well I just got off the phone with Gerald Parker !! I'm sure there will be a few more phone calls in the future . I got a line on the parts for the most part. I have not had any time this week to do much as I have been out of town all week for work. I plan to do some things this weekend if I make it home from work. I will keep you all updated as we move forward.
Thanks Wade
Old 11-28-2014, 09:51:44 AM
Registered

Looks like a real nice engine. Could you post a couple more pictures of the gear driven pump and connecting rod etc? You should plan to attend the 2016 show Labor Day weekend at Rollag MN. www.rollag.com
The Minneapolis Threshing Machine company is the feature that year. There will be lots of MTM fanatics in attendance. (and at least two Twentys if I'm not mistaken)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fredward For This Post:
Old 11-29-2014, 05:23:00 PM
Registered-I

I will get a few pics of the pump later this week and post them. Does anyone have pics of the plumbing for the pump ? also may need a throttle valve if anyone has one ..
Old 11-29-2014, 09:26:41 PM
Registered-I

Well spent today doing UT on the boiler . Not the news we were hoping for. Now guess its time to find a boiler repair shop and get input on the repairs . Thank you Jerry for all your professional help !! Does anyone have a ballpark of what a new boiler would cost ?
Thanks Wade
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyiron2 For This Post:
Old 11-29-2014, 11:56:08 PM
Subscriber

First it depends on your preferences I would say. If you want frivets( fake rivets) that adds to it. I have heard of a person from the state of the Buckeye with a ballpark (just heard from a person who received a quote a few years ago), to a builder in the land of Canada being about 35 (in 2011 for a Farquar boiler) to a Canadian Company at about 50 (the ballpark they gave to me 4 weeks ago when asking about a boiler the them). As I was told when the steam started flowing through my veins, Your first check is your cheapest. May I ask what type of repairs are needed?

If someone has better figures please post them, I am just trying to help him out on my knowledge. By the way, there are 3 0's after each number
Old 11-30-2014, 02:36:24 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Well spent today doing UT on the boiler . Not the news we were hoping for. Now guess its time to find a boiler repair shop and get input on the repairs . Thank you Jerry for all your professional help !! Does anyone have a ballpark of what a new boiler would cost ?
Thanks Wade
Too bad about the results. Can you elaborate on the numbers and where you found them?

IIRC Minneapolis has an rectangular stay pattern - and wide enough at that to require some pretty good steel for good calculations on the flat surfaces.

30 - 50K is about the range I've heard about for building a boiler around 20HP.