Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Best way to store a gas tank.

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2876 times

Old 09-01-2004, 03:10:26 PM
Bill Schaller

Default Best way to store a gas tank.

What is best way to store a gas tank? I always drain my gas tanks, but should they be left with the gas cap off so no condensation, or is there some other way from stopping them from rusting? I have a lot of engine with gas tanks that are in OK shape, and I don't want to have to take them off to put sealer in them.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2004, 06:39:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,171 Posts
Default Re: Best way to store a gas tank.

Good Question, Bill, I, for one, remove each tank that has had gas in it, after the show day. I drain all the gas, allow them to completely air dry, and replace. While I'm doing this, I also remove the gas line, drain the gas, above the check valve and put a few drops of new 30 wt. oil down in the tube, on the check. I had one tank, this year, that for some reason, had rusted in the bottom, did the usual cleaning on it. I've been tempted to put a couple of tablespoons of 30 wt oil in each tank and let it run all around in the tanks before placing them back on the engines. This process is, of course, depending on how many times a year you go to shows, once a month, with some Sta-bil and there is no reason to drain tanks. Twice a year,yes, I would drain them. I've had gas turn to varnish on a tank while only sitting for 3 months, hence what I do to mine. I replace the caps on each tank, and don't leave the top open. Just how I do it. Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2004, 08:08:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,171 Posts

Well, forgot to mention. I have also tried Sta-bil in the tanks. It does good for a period of time, maybe 2 months. I can't explain it but it seems this new gas we buy now, if not sloshed around, seperates somehow. The new gas, if left completly still, in a tank will deteriorate rapidly. However,if it is slossed around about every 2-3 weeks or more ofter, it stays stable. It's like it's got something in it that evaporates rapidly leaving what is left to turn to varnish. Also, your location in the U.S. will have some bearing on how long before gas goes bad. Some area's are more humid, or more dry. that has an effect on gas. Try this, if you have an old pie tin or something similar, pour some gas in it, allow it to set in the shade outside and daily check it's stability, place it in front of a fan, and check it also, it will suprise you.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:32:22 PM
Doug Kimball

I used to drain tanks in the fall and always managed to spill some.... sometimes a lot. Fortunately I had no accidents(fire) but it could easily become disasterous as I have several heavy engines stored in a small area. I was talking to an airplane mechanic & complaining about the quality of the new gas. He told me to get aviation gas which is a high octane,low-lead variety. If stored in an airplane for longer than 5 years FAA requires draining. Five years works for me. A little pricey, 70 to 80 cents a gallon over pump gas but well worth it to me for the safety & convenience.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:08:25 PM
BobRR

Doug if your going to spend the extra money get coleman fuel it lasts along time and doesnt gum up.It is the closest thing still made that these engines were made to run on.(white gas) these old engines werent made for high octane or leaded fuel.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:22:55 PM
Eugene Borsoff

High octane gas may not work so well in a low compression engine. Try and see. You could also mix one or two gallons of Coleman fuel (55 octane +/-) with one gallon of aviation gas to bring it below 87 octane. Higher octane gas prevents preignition in high compression engines. In low compression engine you might spend a lot of time cranking. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:33:07 AM
Andrew Mackey

The new Coleman fuels are Hydroscopic - that is they attract moisture. The water contaminated Coleman fuel is very corrosive!!! If the engine is to be laid up for a while, make up a mix of SAE 30 non-detergent oil and gas at a ratio of 50-50 (1/2 gas and 1/2 oil), and slosh it around in the tank, and then drain. This will protect the tank for about 6 months! Your other option is to fill the tank to the tippy-top, running the engine for about 5 minutes a week to get rid of condensation, and then topping off the tank again. This will keep rust out of the engine, and will keep the gas fresh in the tank. Gas looses 50% of its burning capacity is 30 days. within 60 days, it will seperate into several componants that won't burn, and will corrode about anything! Adding Stabil will work for a time with a full tank of gas, but it will eventually gum up, with a vengance, if left too long! Andrew
Old 09-03-2004, 09:31:21 PM
chuck balyeat

Say it aint so Drew ! What is this development with the NEW white gas ? It was my favorite after drip . WHich not only leaves the shop smelling like Pepe Le Pew , but is a pain to procure as well .