Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

1905 New Huber Acquired

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2431 times

Old 05-15-2013, 12:54:18 AM
Registered

Default 1905 New Huber Acquired

Our small museum a non-profit, Penngrove Implement in northern Calif. has just received a 1905 New Huber. I am a volunteer worker. We stripped the tin and wood from the boiler. Have done a thorough inspection and are going to replace all tubes. Spent all day doing ultrasound and mapping the boiler. Need to find prints or specs. Anyone know where stamps might be for ratings on this boiler.Finding it hard to abtain advice to get this certified. Any advice that is accurate or point the way is appreciated. How do I contact Andy Glines or other New Huber owners?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cupp747 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16:31 AM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts
Default Re: 1905 New Huber Acquired

Welcome to Stak!
This is the forum for you.......
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09:09 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts

If I understand your question: In 1905 I would not expect any pressure info stamped on the boiler.

I have heard some jurisdictions will require a set of drawings. I mean by you or done for you because there are no codes in 1905 and no old drawings available. I hear a lot of things, dont make it all true.

I guess you understand the No1 area of concern on a return flue is the possible collapse of the big central flue. I think (or heard someplace) some Hubers corrugated that flue? Unlike some other early builders Huber has a good reputation for this boiler type. That is reassuring for you as the future operator. And 1905 while early (pre dating any codes) is far cry from 1880-1890 boiler construction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 04:40:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,439 Times in 682 Posts

What serial # does your engine have? Peter was correct about the lack of code stamps. There no boiler code that early so there will be no stamps on the boiler. My 1905 16hp #8213 has a 38" barrel made of 5/16" thick material with a 2 row lap seam. It has 14 3" flues which are 89" long (I think). Furnace flue is 24" diameter at the reat tapering to 21" at the front. The original pop valve is stamped @ 135psi. Peter was also correct about paying special attention to the furnace tube during your inspections. I got a LOT of help and information from Ken Diehl in Navarre OH.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53:15 PM
Registered

Maybe "Steamerguy" can chime in here and help you out. He is very familiar with California Boiler laws. Vista Area.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 30Advance For This Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 09:12:21 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,722 Times in 535 Posts

Peter, Huber never put corrugated furnace flues in their engine boilers, but the flue did taper from front to back as Andy described. This allowed a larger firebox in the rear, but a stronger tube overall than if it was a single large diameter the whole length. Of course, now nobody knows how to do the pressure calculations for that tapered flue and the Code doesn't mention it...

My 18HP Huber was probably built in the early teens, engine number 9973. There are no "Code" stamps on the boiler, but numerous inspection number stamps from the various States it was operated in. All the stamps are located on the left-side front-end of the boiler on the water heater, aka "Huberlator", sheet.

I thought I had some photos of the stamps in my thread, but many of the photo links are broken now. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...621#post214621
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad Kelley For This Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30:29 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts

Brad,

I took a quick look at my file cabinet and found 1913 Huber reprint and exactly as you say. I am not surprised. I was sure you knew. So... any how the Hold file is right there. I look at a xerox of a Holt catalog and there are my corrugated main flues. Off topic and still wrong, but though I would toss that out FWIW. I guess that had must have stuck in my mind. I am sure I spent many hours dreaming over that Holt catalog. Not enough perhaps, but many still.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 03:58:47 PM
Registered

Hi Bill - Nicky here.

I came up from Oakland on Tuesday to talk with Steve Phillips about the Huber.

I will post pictures of the machine tomorrow, but to give the readers here a few notes:

The serial number indicates it's pretty late maybe after 1913?

Serial Number: 10725

There are 26 tubes of 2.5" diameter.

I will call the Huber museum this weekend and see if we can procure drawing specis of the boiler. In order to refurbish this it will be quite useful to have the blueprints of the build of this machine.

Some history: The machine came from Loop City, NB where the previous owner had it for 25 years or so. He would run it and plug the leaks with wooden plugs.

As Bill mentioned, he and the crew have pulled all the old tin and wood off the machine so that they can get to the boiler proper.
This will be a great addition to the Penngrove Power & Implement Museum which is dedicated to showing the growth of motive power after animal power. Steam, electric, internal combustion, turbine, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupp747 View Post
Our small museum a non-profit, Penngrove Implement in northern Calif. has just received a 1905 New Huber. I
The Following User Says Thank You to Nixels For This Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 10:54:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,695 Times in 2,203 Posts

It's good to know of another Huber. Their short drum return flue design makes a lot of sense in both efficiency, economy and safety and has continued in Scotch marine designs for years after other firebox designs. The water ring in the front box is just one of the good features Edward Huber did to make it better an more efficient. As with any pressure vessel, make sure everything is in good order and have an expert or licensed inspector pass on the condition and repair required. I like the design in that it does not have that critical crown sheet with stay bolts which is the first and most dangerous part to be exposed to overheat if water gets low in a locomotive firebox type boiler. A whole row of flues must be uncovered before the big fire flue is uncovered in a Huber. Still, regardless, keep the water level where it should be.
Be safe and happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 11:37:22 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,439 Times in 682 Posts

26 tubes Probably an 18hp ..... I think
Old 05-17-2013, 06:21:18 AM
Registered

Our Huber is # 10928

It is a 1915 18HP

20advance
The Following User Says Thank You to 20advance For This Post:
Old 05-17-2013, 04:26:25 PM
Subscriber

CUPP747.
Hello, you are a good 400 miles north of me or I could be of more help, However.
I do know a few connections up your way. It sound like you have taken all the right first steps. On the off chance that your boiler has been looked at in another state I would look above the firebox door first for any thing you can find, I have occasionally seen information on the dome and on the smoke box by the serial number plate.

I have had good luck working with the state on non-code boilers so it can be done. California is still an ASME state. The best advice I can give you is to contact your local state inspector and get his requirements for certification so you have something to work with. In the past we have had to do some pretty detailed drawing and have them stamped by a PE but the state is working with us now and they have relaxed the requirements quit a bit. Let me sent you an e-mail with my number and lets talk. I will do what I can to help.

Dean Alling