Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Resizing and Posting Photos

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 6671 times

Old 05-14-2013, 02:31:43 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,614 Times in 1,677 Posts
Default Re: Resizing and Posting Photos

i agree with yall 100 percent if you don,t have pc skills you are down the creek with out a paddle. my daughter said now this was back in 2004 dad your ole school and need to get a pc so i got this ole dell and its does help me . some time maybe she can help me with the picturs etc? boy is she a wizz she sets up new companys computer systems and she is now in her new office hey makes me proud . me i had the 12 years of school and made aliving working in the coal mine and oil feilds . did,nt need no computer .lol
heres what gets me kids today the new generations that s all they want to do is set behind a desk or play with a cell phone or so on?? tell me who is going to do the manual labor ? WORK is a dirty word to the new comers some ones got to dig that ditch and do the plumbing and etc. any how just my 2 cents Thanks again fellows for the help soon maybe i can learn to shrink those pics.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 05:29:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
I have read in this thread about things from another planet,written in hieroglyphics,..like folders(i have seen a big folder that will fold up to half inch steel plate) and url's (those are the two i can spell)..the other vague nebulous cybercloud already carefully mapped and detailed here in order to post my friends boiler pics makes me nauseus,..sorry to say it.

..but i am sure reading here that there is certain to be a group of users,possibly large (i am one at least),..who have no idea what you are describing,..and it's fairly certain will not entertain trying to understand or learn.
One previous description(excellent i am sure) lost me after "toolbar"(not joking btw).I haven't needed so far to know what my toolbar does!..and i don't really want to,.. but i usually have no problem uploading pics anywhere that i have previously been.

I am one of those who will live with trying to post a time or two and then not be able to participate because the process (to me)is moving in a code that i don't even begin to recognise.

I want to suggest that the photo upload system used here in SMOKSTAK is only straightforward to use if the photo is lucky enough to be small enough(whatever mega jigger gigger might mean?).

Sincerely,Paul.
Paul:

I'm still pretty computer Illiterate myself, but figure out what I need to as I go, and if I find something that works, I try to pass it along to help others if at all possible.

In trying to help people on here, I guess I failed to remember that we have members from all around the world with different languages that use different words and phrases. I like your "Folder" reference there by the way, as it kind drives home that point.

I have a LOT to learn yet, but in the mean time have been able to help out a few people on here, some that thanked me publicly and some that thanked me privately for doing so.

Since you say you " usually have no problem uploading pics anywhere that i have previously been ", then I assume you already know how to access your pictures in your computer, and just need to figure out how to post them on This Website.

I will TRY to help you there, IF I can, by walking you through the steps that confused me at first.

When I first tried to upload a picture here, I clicked on the "Insert Image" icon (picture or symbol that looks like a picture postcard with a postage stamp on it) which opened a box asking for a "http:// address" which at the time I didn't have a clue what that meant and still don't use for posting pictures.... Yet.

Eventually, after playing around with it for a while, I found the "Attachments" icon which looks like a paper-clip for holding sheets of paper together (above where you are typing your message). Clicking on it opens a box called "Manage Attachments", which can also be opened by clicking on the "Manage Attachments" Button in the "Additional Options" section below where you are typing in the message you are posting. In the "Manage Attachments" box, you will find a pair of "Browse" buttons, which when you click on one of them will open another box taking you to your computer where you can (Hopefully) locate the picture you want to post the same way you would find it to post on any other website or to attach to an e-mail. Once you have the pictures chosen, hit the Upload button and wait for it to load.

I Hope that helps, but If Not, feel free to ask for more help.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2013, 06:04:29 PM
Sponsor

Smile Re: Resizing and Posting Photos

Thanks Otto i understand about adding attachments etc. heres my problem i am unable to reduce the size of my pictures on my computer my camera shoots huge 2272x1704 dimensions. so when i post one it takes the whole page. thanks for your help and everyone else on here. greatly appreciated, Danny
Old 05-14-2013, 06:17:32 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,045 Times in 662 Posts

when you find the picture you want to attach
#1 Right click on picture.
2 select open from menu.
3 select paint
4 select resize option
5 select pixtels
6 change 4000 to 800
7 click ok
8 click little window on top left side of screen where it says "save as"
9 change picture info with the word small on the end.
10 hit save.
11 close paint
You well go back to attachment management, now hit upload and you attachment picture should now come up. You can repeat this
up to 4 times.
Good luck
jamesk815.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamesk815 For This Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 06:56:49 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onan Dan View Post
Thanks Otto i understand about adding attachments etc. heres my problem i am unable to reduce the size of my pictures on my computer my camera shoots huge 2272x1704 dimensions. so when i post one it takes the whole page. thanks for your help and everyone else on here. greatly appreciated, Danny
Danny:

As confusing as it is, maybe re-read the posts made by Gary K, Brian S, and myself for how we do it depending on which photo editing software you have.

I still prefer the Nero PhotoSnap software (that came pre-loaded in both of my computers) myself. I tried Picasa for a while, and will occasionally use the 'Paint' program that James mentioned to add text to a picture, (one of the few things I found I can't do with Nero), but my hands-down favorite is the Nero PhotoSnap for quick and easy edits with lots of options if you want to play around with it.

As I noted a couple times already, the Nero program will Automatically Resize the pictures to roughly 1/3rd the file size with pretty much ANY change you make whether it's cropping the edges or even doing a 90 degree rotation with No cropping at all. If you Crop AND Rotate, it will make the file size even smaller for faster uploads.

My friends laptop computer also came preloaded with Nero, but his sisters computer doesn't have it, so yours may not have it either, but IF it does, I think you will be happy with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 06:58:55 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,206 Times in 539 Posts

I didn't post pictures for years because of the resizing deal. I learned to do it with Paint, but by far the easiest for me is "Picasa". I had some hardware problems around five years ago, and while replacing some parts, the tech saved all my photos on "Picasa", so I could create files later and put them where I wished. Once I got determined to figure it out, it took only around an hour. There is actually a "resize" option when you display a photo. Did my first photo post on Harry's "Test Board", saw that it worked (even got a couple of replies), posted that it would be fine if it was now deleted, and Craig made it go away so that space could be used for something more important. I really suggest Picasa for this. I'll bet a local tech can install it relatively inexpensively...ED
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14:42 PM
Sponsor

Smile Re: Resizing and Posting Photos

well thanks for the tutoring fellows i will get this fiqured out. i do have paint and my daughter sends me pics and she uses picasa . so i am sure i will learn how to post pictures. hey got all you good folks helping me. thanks Danny
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 07:32:31 PM
Subscriber

Picasa would be my Second choice based on the few I tried while I was without my Nero for a while due to a computer mishap.

If your daughter uses it already, she can probably help you better with that one in person than I can through here. And, re-reading things here again myself, I guess Brian had mentioned that they made some upgrades since I used it.

Good Luck with it.

Looking forward to seeing LOTS of Pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 09:34:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,013 Posts

Hi Peter,Ron and Dan,.thanks for following my post and keeping a sober reaction to things i have said there.Ron and Peter ,..it never ceases to amaze me and stir in me my sense of admiration and respect for individuals and thier dedication and determination to improve thier situation.
I love computers,i visted Philippines twice in the last two years on a community development program and witnessed the heartache of upcoming university students simply not being able to afford the essential laptop.Arriving home,cut to the heart,i sourced 2 year old Dell laptops at our local water authority,destined for the rubbish bin..as a result,i now know 6 kids there that now have what ANY student today 'absolutely must have.'
I have no sons ,daughters nieces etc,but have no problem uploading photographs in Ebay(and numerous other marketing sites here)along with my email etc.A 'first grader' with less talent than me can upload photographs in facebook or if the child(or grandma) is Filipino,on FRIENDSTER,..with rediculous ease.
The risk for a person like me to raise an issue like this is that concerning the servants who created this place where we can happily and freely rub shoulders,..in relation to them, i carry absolutely no domain knowlege,(that is:knowlege of) of what where why how and what circumstaces etc have brought us to todays objective reality.People posting in reply to me face that same risk.Thats why mutual respect is essential.
For that reason all i can safely do is to try to give what an expert would refer to as'effective feedback'where i try to let you know in a non threatening way 'how it is for me'.I hope my first post is read again carefully to try to find my simple point.
I am suggesting that the photo upload system employed here is only straightforward(for me) if the photo is lucky enough to be the right size.
I hope any interested reader will carefully read Onandans post directly following my own;thanks Dan for reinforcing my view.I hope also that inclusion for the slower moving of the group is reguarded highly.
I want to change the subject now,because in the scheme of things here where i live,i can't afford to 'major' on something that ought really be measured as a minor for me personally right now.(this is 'off subject'so it's probably time for me to respectfully exit the thread)
My favourite book of all time,read recently,is 'The Puritan Gift',by Kenneth Hopper and William Hopper...i learned there that the American people(in the 1940s) took the worlds fastest fighter plane from the drawing board to a flying reality in just seven months.
I found that statistic staggering to say the least,but there are many greater lessons in that book for any person wishing to catch some insight into the founding and heritage of America.
Ron,..i say to you in particular,after reading your sincere reply, i think you would love that book.
Thanks again for supporting my position,and for taking a risk to encourage me to improve.
All the best,Paul.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Hi Peter,Ron and Dan,.thanks for following my post and keeping a sober reaction to things i have said there.Ron and Peter ,..it never ceases to amaze me and stir in me my sense of admiration and respect for individuals and thier dedication and determination to improve thier situation.
I love computers,i visted Philippines twice in the last two years on a community development program and witnessed the heartache of upcoming university students simply not being able to afford the essential laptop.Arriving home,cut to the heart,i sourced 2 year old Dell laptops at our local water authority,destined for the rubbish bin..as a result,i now know 6 kids there that now have what ANY student today 'absolutely must have.'
I have no sons ,daughters nieces etc,but have no problem uploading photographs in Ebay(and numerous other marketing sites here)along with my email etc.A 'first grader' with less talent than me can upload photographs in facebook or if the child(or grandma) is Filipino,on FRIENDSTER,..with rediculous ease.
The risk for a person like me to raise an issue like this is that concerning the servants who created this place where we can happily and freely rub shoulders,..in relation to them, i carry absolutely no domain knowlege,(that is:knowlege of) of what where why how and what circumstaces etc have brought us to todays objective reality.People posting in reply to me face that same risk.Thats why mutual respect is essential.
For that reason all i can safely do is to try to give what an expert would refer to as'effective feedback'where i try to let you know in a non threatening way 'how it is for me'.I hope my first post is read again carefully to try to find my simple point.
I am suggesting that the photo upload system employed here is only straightforward(for me) if the photo is lucky enough to be the right size.
I hope any interested reader will carefully read Onandans post directly following my own;thanks Dan for reinforcing my view.I hope also that inclusion for the slower moving of the group is reguarded highly.
I want to change the subject now,because in the scheme of things here where i live,i can't afford to 'major' on something that ought really be measured as a minor for me personally right now.(this is 'off subject'so it's probably time for me to respectfully exit the thread)
My favourite book of all time,read recently,is 'The Puritan Gift',by Kenneth Hopper and William Hopper...i learned there that the American people(in the 1940s) took the worlds fastest fighter plane from the drawing board to a flying reality in just seven months.
I found that statistic staggering to say the least,but there are many greater lessons in that book for any person wishing to catch some insight into the founding and heritage of America.
Ron,..i say to you in particular,after reading your sincere reply, i think you would love that book.
Thanks again for supporting my position,and for taking a risk to encourage me to improve.
All the best,Paul.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10:25 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,695 Times in 2,203 Posts

Post 24 instructions do not work. After selecting "paint", there is no "resize" option to select.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Post 1 does not work. There is no option called "Photoimpression". I have Windows XP
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

After you open the picture with Paint click on Image on the top then the resize option comes up. It should start at 100 % and you can put any lower value in but unless you want a out of proportion picture type the same figure in both.

I used to have Photoimpression and liked it but the last two puters I got don't have it Photoimpression used to be a free program that came with Wallyworld and other preloaded computers.

Paint is a simple program but is Nice for modifying maps ect. And even works on pictures.

Another program that works is Windows Photo gallery. You can crop, resize ect. Many times if you crop all the junk from a picture you don't need to resize it much.

Also this site will resize most pics if they aren't ridiculously large.

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 05-14-2013 at 11:19:54 PM. Reason: Add More
Old 05-15-2013, 03:35:22 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,590 Times in 692 Posts

My favorite is a free program called Irfanview & I've found it simple enough that I didn't even read the instructions (and not just a guy thing). Once you tell Irfanview to open a picture you can click on Image at the top of the screen. A list of choices will drop down which includes Re-size/Re-sample. Click on that choice and you can tell the program what you want or choose from several defaults. Do a Save-As and you now have an image to upload that will conform with the rules/limitations of the target website.

Paul,
I understand how powerful the fear of the unknown can be. I also know what a joy and sense of accomplishment it is to finally conquer another aspect of that pile of silicon, plastic & metal in front of you known as a computer. Trying to describe foreign practices is sometimes confusing, at best. In helping my mother get over her fear of e-mail, the only way things would stick is if we were side-by-side looking as the same screen. You've said you don't have any near-by helpers. I'll suggest you may want to check at the nearest public library to see if someone there can offer assistance or there may be a regular patron who would be willing to help.

The idea of e-mailing the shots to someone else to re-size until you learn how is very valid as I've done that for folks myself.

A last point is that I see you're Registered, like me, and not a Subscriber. I'll offer the thought that your level of participation weakens your argument to have Harry change his site.

PD
Old 05-15-2013, 07:45:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Pete,..
i have no fear of the unknown though,and i want to try to point that out.
The future of computing is not something that poses any fears for me,because i am one wo believes that it is getting easier rather than harder.Along with that confidence i am feeling quite secure that i am moving with the future
.My younger sister is someone who(according to me)cant drive,especially parallel parking,..but thanks to the future of computing that is coming to us rapidly,she went out and purchased a little car that parks itself.
I guess she just likes to park and shop,..and thanks to modern computer systems?..she can!Computers today?..nobody needs to fear them,..just get behind the wheel and enjoy.
Likewise i like to post whole movies on the internet,..and because the website i use makes it possible?..i take out my $79 cellphone and post movies(without having to become the slave of a computer class learning to resize them).
Coming here to smokstak,(for me),..is an attractive invitation to 'exhast gas',.'blow smoke'etc,...but if the invitation turns out to be an appointment to 'inhale gigabytes',..then the attraction wanes somewhat.
I guess it must run in the family,..because my sister is down the street all the time now,..and doesn't tolerate my looking down on her lack of driving skills.
The last line of your post Pete,..frames the whole question that one way or another is being brought to light here.
I am really pleased that you put things the way you did there,and admire you for it.
In life i see on rare occaisions people acting in a right way,..with dignity and decorum,..and it is an encouragement to me to try to aspire to better in myself.
I want to say to you Pete,that i love your country,because i am one who believes that everything truly valuable in the west in modern times has come from there,..and i am not talking about the things money can buy.
What is left for me to do,..like onan dan is to weigh up how much i value posting a pic in this website(from my own personal perspective in life).
What i didn't expect when i made my original post was that i would be offering a leadership move for others,...others perhaps less able to articulate an argument for change than myself,..but if you read the post following my first one,i hope you agree,..it's exactly what has occured.
I wonder how many more 'gas exhauters' here might be suffering gigabyte inhalation?
The only good advice i have ever read on leadership,once again has come from your country,and it clearly advises any wise person to 'be' someone who can carefully discern 'when' to argue for change.I will quote it for you,"A 'politico' is an individual who is forever trying to "get the people what they want",A statesman is an individual who can carefully discriminate when and when NOT to do this.
I am thankful to the last line in your post,which outlines the culture and structural realities here,..and i am quite happy with them.
I have said previously that the upload system here is not straightforward (for me) and i am happy that others here have supported that postion,..beyond that?..all things considered?..i don't think there's anything more that i need say that will be constructive.
Thanks Pete,and thank you also for other previous responses.
Sincerely,Paul.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:14:51 PM
Subscriber

Maybe a relatively easy change that could (maybe) be made would be to replace the "paperclip" icon and the "Manage Attachments" button with an "Upload Pictures" button having the same function, just with a new name on it.

It's just a suggestion anyway..... I don't have a clue as to how difficult it would be, but I'm guessing if Harry can add additional "Smilies" (like the dead horse ) and other features (like the 'groan' button in Smoke & Flames), one or two buttons could just as easily be renamed without changing their function.

The rest of the picture posting process is relatively straight forward if someone as computer illiterate as I am can figure it out, it just takes some searching to find the right button to open that feature when you first come here. Having figured it out, I run through the steps without even thinking about it until it comes time to try to explain it to someone else again.

Then again, I guess if it became too easy to upload pictures, he would have to buy more bandwidth again that much quicker to support them all. May be best to leave well enough alone, and we will continue to TRY to help people through the process if/when they ask for help.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:03:10 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,590 Times in 692 Posts

Paul,
It was with a mixed sense of wonder and awe and even light jubilation that I read your reply. The jubilation comes from the relief at learning of your freedom of the fear of the unknown. It can surely paralyze those that seem the mightiest. The genesis of the wonder and awe was the realization that you considered my remarks worthy of such expansive and mellifluous effusion. Since it appears you may posses the requisite skills for posting pictures and even videos may I be so crass as to infer the possibility of a stumbling block in the form of pride of product? Some are so rabidly protective of their progeny, be it physiological or artistic, that the very thought of altering it in any way to conform to someone else's narrow minded requirements is absolutely anathema. I say this not in judgment but merely as an observation. The creative muse can be a demanding and cruel mistress.

I thank you again for taking the time to craft your reply. So rare is it that with such eloquence and erudition it has been intimated one should "get stuffed" I very nearly enjoyed the experience. Whether, in the future, we shall agree or not it is my fervent hope we may continue to discuss with as much vivacity if not true sincerity.

PD
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00:49 AM
Subscriber

Pete,..?
i'm not sure where you are going with your reply,...but i have nothing here that even comes close to "get stuffed" for you,..yesterday,or today;sorry if you got that impression but it's a long way from any intended meaning,i can assure you.
I have no aim here to point out the percieved "narrow mindedness" of any person here,..so again,my apology if thats the impression my post gave you,or has given anyone else here.
I think i'm the person here who is at risk of being seen as narrow minded?,..but if you knew me well i think you would be ok with it.
Posting videos etc is just factual,..i think you know that.
To borrow your own eloquence Pete,(and i mean this sincerely)"one thought i may offer you",...there are some people in life who want to stay 'right where they are',..and they actually have no intention of taking on what you consider personally to be valuable or useful(for thier own valid reasons),...but at the same time would hate to judge you 'narrow minded'or tell you to "get stuffed"for offering.
Right now i'm trying to be one of those,...so?..
Sorry if i came across that way.
All the best,Paul.

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

Pete,.there's a p.s...i have all the fears of the unknown,naturally,.but i find it in the things i have never done before,.."that i WANT or NEED to do" and lately i have had plenty of that,..but none for playing with photoshop,..for obvious reasons.
I hope that helps you understand my earlier reply better.
Thanks,Paul.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:23:16 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,206 Times in 539 Posts

This is a steam engine forum, not a creative writing class. This thread has become an example of the "waste of bandwidth", that the moderators and administrator speak of.