Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Posting Photos

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2328 times

Old 12-28-2011, 04:41:12 AM
Registered

Default Posting Photos

I have noticed that about 99% of people posting photos here use the "Add Attachment" part of the post
If you have a look at my posts, my photos are very large and easy to see
All you have to do is open a site like photobucket and add your photos
Then when you want to add a photo to your post you just copy the IMG Code and the post gets a free large image

Anyone want to add to this
This is so much better
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 10:03:19 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,242 Times in 2,495 Posts
Default Re: Posting photo's

We have had so many photo services in the past that have gone bust. Also, posters who have drifted off into other hobbies and let their photo accounts lapse. Then the pictures are gone forever.

With our attachment system, the photos are locked in for as long as the thread or article remains. If anyone is running short of attachment space, let me know and adjustments will be made. With the coming new year, I expect to increase the size and power of our web server so that we can accommodate extra photos for everyone.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 10:47:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

Don't like picturers that are larger than my screen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 11:28:14 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,625 Times in 7,473 Posts

Yes, sometimes if you check some older threads that have images attached from outside servers you see this:
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 11:51:29 AM
Registered

I think it is a "catch 22". Small pics upload quickly but are too small to really enjoy or see detail. Large pics take too long to upload or are too big for the site storage and page view.

Off site requires more steps and like Harry points out they can be lost if the site disappears or crashes. They also can be so large they easily over come the page. So what can we do?

Support this site! Storage and bandwidth cost $$$. $20 bucks a year for all we get out of this fine, well run, site is worth every penny!

Where else can you enjoy your hobby with others, get world news and video, find other interests, school and be schooled on what we love best! An argue points of disagreement till a kind hearted moderator calls time out.... Here!

Sorry for going off topic....

Post the largest pic the site allows for now. If you use a off site storage re-size so they fit the page or "click" enlargeable thumbnails; but remember they might disappear if that site fails or your membership ends.

Last edited by Old Style; 12-28-2011 at 11:52:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Style For This Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 01:09:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,440 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurk View Post
Don't like picturers that are larger than my screen.
I like it when photos that are posted fit the screen, as I hate these large photos that are slow to download, and difficult to look at. That is, you have to shuffle the photo in all directions, so you can view it.

A lot of people don't know how to reduce photos using programs, such as, PhotoImpression, or Paint. One simple method, e-mail the photos to your e-mail address at a smaller size, then save them to My Pictures. A photo having dimensions of 1632 x 1224, will become 640 x 480. Below is an example how to e-mail these photos to yourself:

Emailing Photos

Go to My Pictures, and open the Folder containing your photos. Then click on the X right below Search. A small window appears on the left side, and says Picture Task at the top. Using your mouse left click on the photo you want to e-mail. If your sending more than one photo, hold down the ctrl key, and left click on those photos so there highlighted. If you highlighted a photo you don't want to e-mail, left click on it and it'll be un-highlighted.

Click on E-mail this file for a single picture, or E-mail the Selected items for multiple pictures, and a small window appears that says Send Pictures via E-mail. Click on Make all my pictures smaller. Click on OK, and an E-mail message appears.

Click on the box in the upper right corner to make it full screen.

The Subject: will display the photo names. You can delete these names, and place a new name if desired. The picture names will also appear on Attch:, which is below the Subject: line.

At this point, the photos aren't displayed on the screen, but will appear in the E-mail.

The screen is displaying this message:
The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:

Photo (5)
Photo (6)
Photo (7)

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

You can delete this, and type in a new message if desired, or just leave it blank. Now the E-mail is ready to send.

I suggest printing these instructions, so you can practice by E-mailing photos to yourself.

Wishing you the best!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary K For This Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 02:34:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

I really like the NERO PhotoSnap program that came with my last two computers.

Any editing of any kind will drop the file size down instantly, whether it's a crop, rotate, color adjust, etc.

I just edited one to check the numbers with about the smallest change I could make, a 1/2 degree rotation which also trims a razor thin amount off the edges while rotating, and even that dropped me down from 2.97MB to 825KB or Less than 1/3 the file size for quicker uploading. With my super slow dial up connection, that makes a world of difference in upload time whether it's on here or posting pictures on eBay listings. If I crop and rotate a little it gradually drops the file size down even lower from there, but the biggest difference usually comes from the first change made, whatever it is. I don't know if it automatically re-sizes, or what it's doing, but it allows me to upload quicker, and it allows me to store a lot more pictures on the computer or on a disc or memory card than I ever could at the full file size.

The big pictures some people post on here are nice to look at, but they also severely slow down the speed a thread opens too for anyone with a slow Internet connection. There are some threads with a lot of full size pictures that can take a few minutes for all of the pictures to be viewable if the connection doesn't time out in the process forcing you to refresh it to finish opening them.

I've looked at a couple threads at the Library with their higher Internet speed that are even slow to open there.

I can click on and save pictures I've posted here which end up even smaller file size than what I uploaded, and don't see any difference in picture quality between them and what originally came out of my camera before editing.

I don't know how all of the other photo editing programs work in comparrison, I've only tried one other one I downloaded for free when my NERO was acting up on me a while back, and it took a lot of cropping to drop the file size even a few KB like from 2.97MB to maybe 2.95MB, so I was very happy to find my NERO was back to normal again after resetting my computer to original configuration a while back after realizing it had been infected.

And.... Just a Side Note to Harry's post about getting more room for attaching pictures... I found after running out of space myself, that paying to be Subscriber instantly gives you 10 times the attachment space.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:48:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Style View Post
...Off site requires more steps and like Harry points out they can be lost if the site disappears or crashes. They also can be so large they easily over come the page. So what can we do?

Support this site! Storage and bandwidth cost $$$. $20 bucks a year for all we get out of this fine, well run, site is worth every penny!...
Well Said.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post: