Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

gas tank mounting

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1237 times

Old 10-11-2009, 10:21:20 AM
lowboy

Default gas tank mounting

Hello My brother and I went to a show in paducah and had a gentle man tell us our fuel tank was mounted to low
it was on his 1 3/4 associated. I'm having trouble with my 8 hp witte also could this be part of my trouble?
Thanks Lowboy
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 12:03:05 PM
Sky

Default Re: gas tank mounting

Not fimiliar with associated or Witte but reguardless of having the tank below the engine, you should have a check ball valve or valves near the tank. This is what keep's gas at a "constant" in the fuel lines. without those, all fuel in the lines are lost and the engine never runs due to fuel draining back to the tank. Check valves prevent this to keep the engine running. There is also a such thing as STUCK check valves preventing the engine from getting fuel. In that case, the check balls need taken out and fittings cleaned, then re-assyembly.

Just incase you arn't fimilar, you cannot fix this problem by having the tank above the engine if you dont have any check valves. This would turn into a straight drain and all fuel would go out of the mixer like a water fall due to the mixers on a stationary, as a rule, are floatless and needle-les. you only have one, two, or three needles and those would be simple fuel metering needle's.

Now if your getting gas and you have check balls and all that other good stuff then tank mounting position may not be your problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 10-11-2009, 12:33:02 PM
Registered

Smile Re: gas tank mounting

I would have to say that, yes, tank mounting location can play a part in how an engine runs (or doesn't run!).

There is only so much vacuum available to pull fuel - and if it's pulling from too much height, it just won't suck the fuel up. Most engines I've seen with original tanks have a suction height of 4 to 8 inches. I know when I was attempting to run my IH LB on a gas can with a hose and check valve it would run much better if I held the can up to about the original height of the fuel tank - when I set the can on the ground (about a foot below the mixer) it would sputter and cough and run terribly.

Another thing I've noticed on many throttle-governed engines is that they run much, much better under load. Simply idling along causes them to misfire quite often unless you keep them partially choked --- again, a factor of how much vacuum is being pulled... with the throttle valve closed there isn't much vacuum at all.

In conclusion, to answer your question, yes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smgussey For This Post: