Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

"War Tractor" Found In Old Barn, 1942 MM GTA

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 7759 times

Old 10-13-2013, 11:27:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,354 Times in 438 Posts
Default Re: "War Tractor" Found In Old Barn, 1942 MM GTA

That's interesting about the switch from the cast frame to channel. I don't see these early G's to often so that difference never really jumped out at me. From a purely cosmetic stance, I prefer the cast look myself...

I'm positive I've asked this before, but where does the GTS fit into this early G lineup?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 04:33:49 PM
Registered

That GT that I pictured is actually a GTS. I was once told that the "S" stood for standard front end.
The Following User Says Thank You to 15-30 Rumely For This Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 09:01:58 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,325 Times in 548 Posts

The GTS designation was only used in 1940. It was stamped on serial plate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Molinegb For This Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,354 Times in 438 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've seen three or four of them over the years at auction sales. They all looked like they had done a pile of work! I imagine they were real workhorses.

A gentleman I knew remembers one as a young boy coming to his family farm to do some custom threshing. He remembers it being an impressive tractor both in size and strength for the time. The threshing outfit was left at the farm for a few days and my friend being in awe of the tractor remembers climbing on it to get a closer look. The story goes that the operator traded in a traction engine (probably a Waterloo) for the GT.

Twin City, Minneapolis, and later MM were never present in my area in any great number. The size of the GT with its bright paint must have been quite a sight back in the day.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:57:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

Update on the G,
Got time for a bit of a peek-a-boo. I pulled the hood and cast iron valve covers (later Gs have tin valve covers) to get a look at top end before turning engine over.
Initial inspection is encouraging. I squirted oil in the cylinders and all valves were free so I flooded the valvetrain with oil and let plenty of oil run down the pushrods to accumulate in lifter and run out onto cam lobes. After that I began turning engine. The mag appears to be dead for now and compression feels very low to me. Heads may need to come off for a valve job? Will see if a good cleaning and point adjustment wakes up the mag.
The manifold is in fabulous condition with no signs of deterioration and no cracks anywhere!
The chains and turnbuckles you see holding the front of fenders down were a "farmer fix" and were put there because the back of fuel tank saddle broke where the front fender brace bolts to it. This allows the front of fenders and corresponding brace to move around so it was chained down on both sides.
Steering is real good with little or no wear to deal with.
The tractor needs a good bit of general attention, however, I am pleased with it so far. Will see what turns up as I get time to dig deeper.
I find the grill on these big old Gs very attractive...looks similar to a 40 or 41 Chevy or GMC truck don't they?
Good luck on your projects everyone!
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1942 MM GTA 010.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	177437   Click image for larger version

Name:	1942 MM GTA 015.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	177438   Click image for larger version

Name:	1942 MM GTA 016.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	177439  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 03:43:25 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,325 Times in 548 Posts

Does GTA have cast steering wheel? Mine does. I had a real good set of fenders but traded them last week. Still have most of the remains of GT.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:59:49 AM
Subscriber

GB,
Many tractors went back to steel wheels, hand start and even the cast iron steering wheel during the war era.
These "war tractors" are a favorite collectable in some circles because of the history they represent.
I have looked closely at mine and I believe the steering wheel has been swapped out along the way as it does not appear to have a factory fit. I plan to get a cast steering wheel and rear steel wheels from an FTA to put on as the resto progresses. Should be enough of the former Twin City 21-32 parts around to make this one correct again.
I want to do a partial teardown and get this machine running and driving first to see what condition everything is in.
Many of these old horses got worked real hard for many years...the drawbar hole in this one is nearly two inches loooooong
Tony
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52:18 PM
Subscriber

Update on the old G.
After flooding the cylinders and top end with oil, I noticed compression on one cylinder. I tore mag apart, inspected, cleaned, lubed and set points. After turning engine many more revolutions to get point gap in mag set i had compression on two cylinders. The mag is hot now! Next I pulled carb down, cleaned it and installed kit. After hanging a one gallon test tank on the tractor and turning a few times with hand crank it would fire on the two cylinders that had compression. I pulled the starter off an tore it apart...man, what a very heavy duty starter these old brutes had on them!
Cleaned starter up good and added a battery. The old G belched to life and was hitting, missing and blowing 30 year old chunks of debri out of the exhaust that made me run for cover. When three decades of accumulation finally cleared out of the top end the tractor ran smooth on all four. It shows good oil pressure and may run ok without pulling heads
Lots of general cleaning and minor repair work to do, however, so far, so good
Second picture is the bottom of air cleaner oil cup. Here is a good example of the early MM paint color with later, darker Prairie Gold repaint visible. Early MM tractors were yellow through 1947. The richer, orange colored Prairie Gold did not happen until 1948 and is not correct for pre 48 MMs.
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1942 MM G 006.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	183411   Click image for larger version

Name:	1942 MM G 003.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	183412  
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 05:22:12 AM
Richard Sturdy

Thanks for confirming the correct colour for the wartime Ms Tony - I have had endless arguments with MM "experts" who say my GTA is incorrectly painted yellow rather than "prairie gold". I remember seeing a contractor's original GTA coming to our farm to thrash wheat when I was a very small boy and it was certainly yellow not the gold colour so beloved of restorers nowadays
Tricky Dickie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 08:49:44 AM
Registered

Tony, Nice old tractor you have there. I think the "Farmer Fixes" add character to these old machines. A Minne & JD are next on my wish list
Thanks for sharing

Carl Hargreaves
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyRelics UK For This Post: