Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Vintage Robert Bosch Type K 50/6 - 500 generator

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1842 times

Old 03-23-2012, 08:50:49 PM
Subscriber

Default Vintage Robert Bosch Type K 50/6 - 500 generator

When Case introduced the Model L in 1929 they offered an optional Lighting Kit. It was a generator that fit axially between the governor and the magneto along the side of the engine. There was an extended magneto bracket and an extra support rod. This was wired through a switch to a pair of large "drum" lights, one facing forward on the left side of the radiator, and the other facing backwards on the right rear fender. They offered this for a few years, and then switched the generator to a Delco, and then dropped the whole thing, changed the engine crankcase casting, etc. and introduced a starter and generator of more conventional form after about 1936.

I have all the parts to fit such a kit to my 1930 Case, but the generator needs work. The main windings have to be redone, which is not the problem. On this generator there was an odd arrangement of solenoid and mechanical stuff that did the voltage regulation. I need to rebuild or replace this stuff, and have no idea of where to get parts or info. Anybody got any ideas? How about our European members? Is it easier to get old Robert Bosch parts, info, etc. in western Europe?

I've attached pages of the original pamphlet for the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2casemanualtitlepage.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	131662   Click image for larger version

Name:	2casepage2crop.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	131663   Click image for larger version

Name:	2casepage4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	131664  
The Following User Says Thank You to SPutman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 09:57:35 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,695 Times in 2,203 Posts
Default Re: Vintage Robert Bosch Type K 50/6 - 500 generator

Do you have all of the parts and enough there or on paper for a schematic diagram? If the problem is windings and insulation, that can be fixed. Check the armature on a growler for shorts, and with a good low resistance (Kelvin) bridge for com bar to bar resistance. Local shops can do this. Replacing bad field windings is easier than armature windings, but both can be done. If the commutator is good or only needs turning, then that is good. The regulator probably has windings and contacts or it may have a carbon pile or a slide wire variable resistor operated by the solenoid in parallel or in series with the field windings. The solenoid windings, if fine wire would be connected in parallel with the generator output to sense voltage, or if coarse wire might be in series with the output to sense current. If someone has more data or a complete working unit, that would be valuable.
I stock all sizes of magnet wire from 11 to 50 gauge and I have been involved with motor & generator design as my career and I will be glad to offer any help I can.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:52:39 AM
Registered

Is it a 2 or 3 brush generator? Could you post pictures of the cutout and parts you want?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:16:28 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,695 Times in 2,203 Posts

If it was for lighting only without a battery, there would be no need for a cutout. The output can be regulated with an adjustable third brush as Northeast did on the 1918 Dodge 12 volt G or GA starter generator but without voltage sensing, the voltage will vary with speed and load. Your mention of a solenoid makes me wonder what was its use and how was it connected both mechanically and electrically? Pictures?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34:33 PM
Subscriber

OK guys, I've just learned that I don't know enough. I'll get some pages from a Case L parts manual (the 1938 edition is the only one I've found with information on this lighting system) digitized and then post them here. Its the only further info I have, but it doesn't include a wiring schematic for the generator. Yes it is only for the lighting. No battery on this thing, and only two light bulbs. But, the whole regulator and solenoid business is built into the generator housing.
The Following User Says Thank You to SPutman For This Post: