Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Help with Briggs Model 23 engine to rebuild or not rebuild

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2919 times

Old 04-12-2012, 12:21:11 AM
Registered

Default Help with Briggs Model 23 engine to rebuild or not rebuild

Hi all,

I just picked up a Garden Mastr lawn tractor that has a Briggs model 23 engine in it. The engine has no spark but that is a minor issue right now.

My question is should I tear this engine down and rebuild it or leave it alone and just get it running? If I left it alone, what kind of compressions should I expect out of this engine? I know a lot of 4 strokes are in the 70-80 psi neighborhood.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 12:49:16 AM
Registered

Default Re: Help with Briggs Model 23 engine to rebuild or not rebuild

I have a Briggs model 19 engine in a garden tractor still running strong without a rebuild, so my vote is to try to get it running. Clean the points, set to .020". May need carb clean also.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:31:27 AM
Registered

John,if it has not been started in a while pull the head off and have a look.If the exhaust valve has been open during its no run period you may well find anything inside.OK you have the head off take the valves out and at least lap them in,(you will probably find the exhaust valve is stuck open,that has been my experience).Clean up the head gasket,coat with aluminium paint let the paint set and bolt it back together.Put your finger down into the oil hole on the sump if it comes out dirty and yucky pull the sump clean her out and have a good look inside.Having got this far in I always take the piston out and check for broken or stuck rings,patience will enable you to get the rings unstuck and you will be easier in your mind about what your treasure is like inside.Piston should of course be pulled prior to putting the head back on.Irrespective of what you do have a screwdriver near to hand during first start as I have had them "run away",if this occurs keep her shorted out till there is no movement,go and have a shower change clothes if neccesary have a coffee then go and look at what caused the "run away".Keep cranking,Norm
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47:40 PM
Registered

I always do the following on an old engine before fireing it up for the first time:

Remove all the tin and clean all the dirt, oil, mouse nests from the cooling fins

Remove the head and decarbon/lap the valves

Remove the oil pan and clean all the years of sludge out of it

clean and adjust the points

Clean the carb and adjust the governer

put fresh oil and fuel in it and let it do it's thing!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:25:19 AM
Registered

That's strange , dad's old Garden Master had the Wisconsin.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:42:00 AM
Registered

they came with wis and b.s. i got literature that show it
Old 04-14-2012, 03:17:44 PM
Registered

Just a hint on stuck rings. I have an old pot that I fill with used motor oil. Drop the piston in it and then I set it on the barbacue grill. Let her cook for an hour or so, pull her out and tap the rings with the handle of a screw driver and they pop loose. Of course I always set the grill away from the house and most important I wait until the wife has gone shopping.