Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Best trailer for hauling engines

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 6278 times

Old 10-31-2012, 11:18:03 PM
Registered

Smile Best trailer for hauling engines

I have a few engines, and every time I want to move them long distances, I have to rely on someone else's trailer! And I've been thinking is about time to get MY OWN trailer. I wanted to know what kind of trailer you use? What's the best trailer for hauling engines? And how much is it going to cost? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39:41 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Best trailer for hauling engines

depends on size of engines towing vechicle etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to J Lowe For This Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 11:48:47 PM
Subscriber

How big? How many? How heavy? I prefer enclosed, also makes for great storage out of the weather, and more secure in transit. Some others will say open, easier to display, easier to load. Got a place to park it? What are you towing it with? Are you treasures on skids or carts?

These are just some of the questions you will need to answer, I am sure others will contribute more.

My main trailer is a 16 foot enclosed, with dual 5,200 lb axels. Prefer to use just the pick-up when possible, but need a forklift at the show.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toesmack For This Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,583 Times in 413 Posts

I like my tiltbed trailer as I can load/unload the trailer at a show without needing a forklift. Of course that assumes your engines are portable or can be skidded.

I've also thought at times a enclosed trailer would be nice to have. Especially when I've hauled engines across the country and gone through several thunderstorms and ended up with road grime all over the engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Best For This Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09:11 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Best trailer for hauling engines

Im going to be hauling about two 800 pound engines along with a few other things probaly a total of 2,500 pounds not much, but I'm thinking something rated for about 5 to 6,000 pounds.(just in case I bring another engine home) I Don't want to go overkill and waste gas on a half empty trailer. Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 02:15:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,055 Posts

We need to know what your towing vehicle is first, its impossible to make much of a suggestion without knowing that.

I'm kind of partial to the box trailers too, especially with fold down rear door that becomes the ramp, and even the smaller ones can be fitted with fold down bunks so they serve as a camper too.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:33:12 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,334 Times in 426 Posts

I use an open deck 5 ton equipment trailer. I have an old pick up truck tool box on the tongue to keep my stuff in. I bolted all my engines down to the deck, so packing up at the end of a show is easy, especially at the end of August when all the local fairs are going on. Then I get to help everyone else pack up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nate Bolduc For This Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37:30 AM
Registered

I have a trailer similar to garage gnome's except with a dovetail on the back and ramps. I put a winch on the front which is very useful. The problem I have is it's too long to back into the garage.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:07:50 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,970 Times in 812 Posts

I have an old trailer that I have 4 small engines mounted to the trailer. I just show up, park the trailer, drive the truck off, (optional), and display. Later I hitch up and go. No fuss, no lifting. Easy on the back.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40:43 AM
Registered

Having a place to store a trailer is likely one of the reasons a lot of people don't have one. If you are an urban dweller there are often space and city ordinance issues. If you are rural and into this hobby you likely already have several trailers. Trailers themselves are not that expensive. Maintenance, insurance, and license are usually not bad. If they are stored outside the wooden decks will need to be cared for or replaced. Also is hard on tires.

Most states require brakes in the 3000 gvw range now. Its a good thing even under that weight because it will save your brake rotors on a non HD tow vehicle. They just don't make those things to take any extra load anymore.

The 6000 gvw trailer is a fairly common size. That will usually get you in the 14' range. On the enclosed trailers the height seems to make a difference on your mpg, the height of your tow vehicle also comes into play. There are some combos that are terrible and others you would think would be fine. The enclosed trailers also tend to get heavier much faster than open trailers which can be a factor depending on your tow rig.

The few cars that can tow anymore max out at around 3500. Some of the mini vans have a towing option but again I believe they max out well under your goal. I believe some of the mid size suv's may get you in the 6000 range with the towing package. Full size 1/2 ton (1500) trucks can do that. Actually over the last 10-15 years they have magically increased the towing capacity of all the trucks. I would not consider towing what they say with most of them especially any sort of distance. The lighter trucks just are not set up to deal with heavy loads and distances. Once you get into the 2500 and up trucks those are really made to tow. Those trucks tend to have heavier frames and running gear which is what you want with a load. The 1/2 tons and lighter you often have to be careful about the transmission when towing. The lighter trucks are going to be more sensitive to how you load the trailer. You may have to do some experimenting to find the right amount of tongue weight to make the trailer happily follow the truck. Too much weight on the hitch and it tends to lift the front of the truck which screws up the steering and suspension geometry which makes handling a little squirrely. Too little weight on the hitch and the trailer tries to drive itself which again tends to make it a little squirrely. The heavier the truck the less sensitive this is going to be because the heavier trucks just are heavier themselves and have stiffer suspension that overall makes them more stable. Down side is this also makes them ride like crap empty. Enclosed trailer the wind will be a factor in how well it tows especially behind a smaller tow rig.

So the recap would be if this is just to go to a show 1 or 2 times per year and its only a couple of hours from home with no major mountain range in between you can likely get away with a properly equipped mid size truck or suv. Properly equipped would likely be the issue since for the most part these were not used as tow rigs. A 1/2 ton truck should be fine, even better if its got a tow package. 3/4 and up even better but hard to justify if you don't need it for anything else.

A lot of people are likely going to chime in and say they have towed 10,000lbs with a compact car and never had a problem. I have done stupid stuff like that too and survived. I owned a dually truck for a while and after that towing with anything less just does not feel right even if its well within the ratings.

Crossing state lines can also introduce extra variables so check with the states you will be in to make sure you are going to be in compliance with their rules. The state patrols favorite things in all states are lights, load properly secured, brakes (including run away), and then weight. First thing they look for on weight is what the trailer is registered at. In most states you can over register which is often what people do. The state does not care if you register a 1,000gvw trailer at 10,000. This means that if they weigh it at 9,999 you cant get an overweight ticket just based on the registration. What they will look at next is tire ratings. If your tires are over their rating including your tow rig you are busted.
The Following User Says Thank You to 73eldo For This Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36:43 AM
Subscriber

Here's what I have been using for 20 years now. 5 x 10, single axle with brakes. Pulls nicely with a smaller truck (S-10 4.3) even my 49 Ford 6 F-1 which makes a nice display. The floor is semi trailer flooring with 4 coats urethane. Custom built. I really should do a refresh, pull engines, sand and reseal deck, paint frame--NAH! It still shows pretty well.

Dick Webber
United Engine Registry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 9-19 to 10-28 014.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	148400  
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58:03 AM
Registered

Keep the pictures coming!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,097 Times in 287 Posts

I would suggest a trailer with a least double axles. If you have a flat or other trouble you can still get in somewhere safe to change or repair. A single axle you are completely stranded on the spot if you have a problem like a flat.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42:45 AM
Registered

Hard to beat a dual tandem gooseneck for taking either a lot of stuff or some big stuff to a show!

Now if you want to take just a few small ones go with a 10-12K tandem axle trailer. Enclosed is nice esp when those popup storms hit.

And remember in most states when you get over 26000lbs combined you're in DOT territory and it can get messy real quick.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick For This Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 11:57:09 AM
Registered

Hey Stoverguy,

Lots to consider and many things just boil down to personal preference. That said, I'll take a stab...

Basic Assumptions:
- You have a vehicle to safely pull it
- Collections, and loads, usually grow
- Plan on 3000-4000 lbs loads

For starters, I'd recommend:
- 18' x 96" w/ dual 3500 lb (min) axles
- "Wrap around tongue" where the tongue beams go back to the front of the fenders.
- Electric brakes on both axles
- Lockable P/U style tool bolted up front for straps, tools, etc
- Provisions to mount a 4000 lb (min) winch up front w/ 30' of cable (I bolted mine to the deck right behind the box)
- Fold-up ramps if you are old. Slide in style if young
- Keep the deck height low (inches count) and forego the dovetail
- Spare tire locked on trailer
- Pipe rails make better seats/leanpost than angle iron rails and are usually stronger
- When the wood decking rots, replace w/ steel grating. Very handy tying down multiple engines. Lifetime decking. Just don't kneel on it...

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,970 Times in 618 Posts

We've had Dads float trailer for as long as I can remember, and it's brought home quite a few engines, as well as taking many to and from shows. You can unlock the axle from the bed and the bed slides backwards into a ramp/loading position. (pic 1)

2nd is our enclosed trailer we picked up from a trailer place up near Shelburne. Dad was looking for an enclosed trailer after seeing more and more of them at Coolspring over the years. We were looking for a bumper hitch with barn doors on the back for our forklift to get right up to the door and a concession door for ground level viewing. He didn't get the bumper hitch part of it, but I think we're happy with it so far. (pic 2)

Last two pics are trailers we've been fortunate enough to borrow from my work. The first is a trailer for moving large skid steers that brought the Tangye home for us.

The last is one of my favourite trailers to use. It's a Crary Lift n Load (that they don't make anymore) that hydraulicly lowers itself to the ground using a battery driven hydraulic pump. This one is good for 6,000lbs but I know our sales dept has put well over 7,500 on it. It also has a battery powered winch on it. We've only borrowed it a couple times but it has engine retrievals go a lot smoother than they could have without it.

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simplex.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	148403   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07023.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	148404   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00019.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	148405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	148406  
The Following User Says Thank You to Sad Iron For This Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 06:19:03 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Best trailer for hauling engines

The vehicle hauling the trailer with is a Chevy Blazer, witch can haul a max of around 6000 lbs. Like I said I don't want to go overkill on size and all the little bells and whistles. Just a good strong trailer-possibly 5' by 10' can hold about 5000 to 6000 lbs. and I don't think a double axle is needed if you've got a heavy military grade axle and some off-road tires. Anybody think that would work? Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44:35 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,191 Times in 861 Posts

J Thats is an awesome bear in your second pic! Are they really that tame in Canada?

I wasn't going to bother but seeing as the spec literally exactly matches what you just said you might be interested to see how we roll over here, not that you can get one in the US. I think you guys have got it figured with 20+ foot swan necks on duallies, Nick does anyway!

10x5.5ft bed, 6000lb gross good for a 4500lb load, ramps under the bed, twin axle on wide tyres. We are going to get a new winch shortly with a clutch/brake on for letting stuff down, particularly the big M. They are really nice built trailers and pretty much monopolised the English market especially for tractor and engine guys. Only thing is people really like to steal them as they just don't depreciate.

Joe
Old 11-01-2012, 07:40:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,785 Times in 981 Posts

Sad Iron, I thought any trailer that hauls that Slide valve around was your FAVORITE TRAILER !!!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,970 Times in 618 Posts

Joe, you mean Otto??
He was Dad's Xmas present from us in 2007 I think. I went out to the shop and took the crankguard tag off our early Columbian Otto and strung it around his neck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Selmer View Post
Sad Iron, I thought any trailer that hauls that Slide valve around was your FAVORITE TRAILER !!!!!
Don that Otto has been in the enclosed, on the Crary and on Grandpas little trailer. I'm going to have to find a slider that fits in the bed of a pickup truck...

J