Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

10-20 Deering Question ...

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1432 times

Old 02-17-2014, 04:10:25 PM
Registered

Default 10-20 Deering Question ...

Hello all,
Can I pick the brains of you McCormick guys ... I have got round to sorting out my 10-20 it is a 1928 model.
so far I have cleaned the carb out and replaced the old cork float for a brass one, I have fitted a new dash mounted muffler, cleaned and gapped the spark plugs and cleaned the points in the E4A mag I have a Blue spark .... So all seems good

But when I give it a crank on the handle it will cough and fire but it is like it doesn't guts to kick up and run. The engine has good compression etc

I did read on the net somewhere that it could be the spring in the impulse that could be weak and at fault ... Have any of you guys had any similar experiences like this ??
by the way it is the manual trip impluse
Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 04:20:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: 10-20 deering question ...

I have had a Mag that was out of timing on a 10/20 it took some working out. Also what spark plugs are you using mine did not like Champion plugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Watson For This Post:
Old 02-17-2014, 04:28:57 PM
Registered

It currently has some old style Champion plugs in ... the mag hasn't been off the tractor and the timming seems to be correct. I don't think the tractor has run in a long time but it is so annoying when it coughs and splutters but won't run the impluse does seem a little lazy ...

Thanks
Carl
Old 02-17-2014, 04:40:37 PM
Registered

As crude as it may sound. Lubricate the mag with a light oil as the tractor manual says then belt the tractor up or pull it. Sitting for a long time every thing gets somewhat gummed up from the little particles under the valves to stiff oil and grease in the mag. After running a bit It could easily be right as rain. I prefer to belt one up as I can check the oil and spark before I ad fuel to make the old girl run. Again it isn't the prettiest way to handle the situation but sometimes a lot can be accomplished just by getting fresh oil and air pumped through a sitting system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sloroll For This Post:
Old 02-17-2014, 06:42:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: 10-20 Deering Question ...

Yes, I had these symtoms with a John Deere GP after a big rebuild. Near pulled my arms out of their sockets trying to hand start it. Resorted to towing it with the Land Rover until it had no other choice but to run! Crude yes. But it worked. and the tractor starts fine by hand now.
HH
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Henderson For This Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 12:27:31 AM
Registered

I restored a 1936 RC Case and it did exactly the same thing. I cranked for two days on it. I finally gave up and pull started it. After that initial start up it would crank start every time. Carl
The Following User Says Thank You to carl wagner For This Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 12:29:40 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl wagner View Post
I restored a 1936 RC Case and it did exactly the same thing. I cranked for two days on it. I finally gave up and pull started it. After that initial start up it would crank start every time. Carl

That is a typical scenario with a couple I have. If they sit too long without being run you better go grab the tow strap....
The Following User Says Thank You to Old-F20 For This Post:
Old 02-19-2014, 04:56:45 PM
Registered

Hello all

Thank you all for the replys to my question, Does anyone know the height approx were the float should be at in the carb ? The old cork float was quite thick and the brass replacement which I bought off the internet is quite thin in comparison

Thanks
Carl Hargreaves
Old 02-19-2014, 08:34:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,705 Times in 603 Posts

Had a helluva time with the float height when I coated the old cork piece to seal it, but eventually got it right after trial and error.

Do you have an operating manual? I found if you did not follow the startup procedure by filling the fuel priming cups, cranking over a few times, then setting the retard and having the carb idle adjust in the correct position, the old girl would go for a few seconds then stop. If you follow the procedure it should start up on the second or third crank easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to SDP For This Post: