Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.) Restoring, maintaining and operating Generac generators.

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)

Generac Impact 36 problems

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2481 times

Old 04-27-2015, 09:32:13 PM
Registered

Default Generac Impact 36 problems

Hey guys newbie here from TX. Forgive me if this is long winded but it helps describe the problem.

I found this site looking for answers on a problem I am having with my on board generator for my Lance truck camper. First off I am handy around mechanical gadgets although its more of a seat of the pants sort of thing so be gentle.
We are drag racers and I was at the track all weekend. The generator would start up just fine during the day and start the a/c no problem. Then at night when the a/c would cycle it would shut off. I would restart it and get the a/c going and right when I would get to sleep, off again. Finally it would not start the a/c and we had to sleep in the heat.

The next day thinking maybe it was the oil shut off I changed the oil and filter. Once again worked perfect during the day that night off it went and after a while it would not even stay running with no load. I switched bottles same thing. The next morning it started and runs normal. I want to kill this thing. Well not really but it did cause me some horrible nights.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2015, 10:20:18 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,046 Posts
Default Re: Generac Impact 36 problems

move north where you don't need AC ???

Are you sure it's the genset and not your AC unit causing the problems? It sounds like your AC compressor may be over drawing amps on restart and killing the genset.
Could be the AC unit is running constantly during the day and at night as temps cool down a little the ac cycles and on restart it overloads the generap.
I'm guessing it's a 3600 watt surge which is barely enough to run a 1300 btu AC
Old 04-27-2015, 10:37:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,366 Times in 5,236 Posts

A/C's thermostat may be allowing it to restart too soon. Short cycling, which is restarting the compressor before pressures across pump equalize. During short cycling compressor can draw a LOT of amps, potentially stalling gen.

With A/C units they recommend waiting 3 minutes before restarting. When I work on home window type A/C units 15-20 seconds seems to be ok on utility power, but you can hear it straining (likely drawing a lot of amps).
Old 04-28-2015, 07:00:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige View Post
I switched bottles same thing. The next morning it started and runs normal.
We need a lot more information. Generator make and model. Fuel type. Is this a new installation, or something that has been working well in the past?

I'm going to take a WAG here.

Is this a propane generator? Did it come from the factory as a propane generator or was it converted? How large are the propane cylinders? How full are the propane cylinders?

This has all the symptoms of a vaporization rate issue. During the hot daytime, the tank is able to boil off sufficient propane to run the generator and load. As the ambient temperature cools down, the withdrawl rate needed to supply the load exceeds the capacity of the cylinders.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:00:55 AM
Registered

The a/c is fine, I am a a/c guy by trade so I checked that part out first. Plus its only 1 year old. The a/c is the same size as the one that came with the camper and it used to run it just fine. It is not short cycling the generator just dies almost as soon as it tries to start no matter how long you wait.

It is a imp 34+ running on propane. I tried running it on both 7.5 gallon bottles at once but it still acts the same. I wonder if I have a regulator problem? If so why would it only act up at night?

Also it is original to the camper as are the tanks. I will try to take some pictures later.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:35:38 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige View Post
I wonder if I have a regulator problem? If so why would it only act up at night?
Easy to tell. Connect a manometer to the input of the demand regulator and check for 11"WC pressure when the generator has a problem.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:57:25 PM
Subscriber

Could be a demand regulator problem, or could be you simply don't have a big enough tank to keep up with vaporization. Propane requires heat to expand from a liquid to a gas. During the day with the sun there is more heat energy to keep the fuel tanks warm. At night less heat, means less vaporization, less available surge power, less gaseous propane for the demand regulator to feed the engine.

Check the following:tank pressure
tank fuel level
demand regulator output pressure
valve lash - if not checked within recommended maintenance intervals.

Best of luck. I'll be tailgating in a few weeks too with my EF2000is inverter genset converted to tri fuel running propane.

Thought of another thing, do you have a soft start capacitor kit for your 13.5k AC unit?? What about elevation, your demand regulator may simply need to be adjusted.

Last edited by Bassplayer1985; 04-28-2015 at 03:12:14 PM.