Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers and pumps.

Farm Antiques and Collectibles

REX M20 water trash pump

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1345 times

Old 05-14-2015, 07:55:23 PM
Registered

Default REX M20 water trash pump

Bought this as a project (not running, motor stuck) several years ago. Finally started working on it.

It is powered by a Wisconsin AHH gas engine. Got it unstuck and eventually got carb cleaned with Seafoam after letting set for months, put diesel fuel in the engine cylinder. Never thought I would get it started but lucked out after spending much time.

I need to know how the oiler or grease spring loaded canister works to lube the pump shaft. I took apart and cleaned old gunk out (grease). There is a screw cap on top of the small tube canister that has a T for screwing the spring inside the canister? A small diameter tube runs from this to the pump shaft area.

Is this some kind of pressure greaser and just keep turning the T screw to apply pressure to inject grease to pump shaft or bearings????

Would appreciate help as I do not want to run the pump without lubrication.

Thanks,

Windmill Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2015, 09:33:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,274 Times in 696 Posts
Default Re: REX M20 water trash pump

Here is a picture of my pump, it has a AHH engine that I put a flat belt pulley on and powered it with a 10 HP Fairbanks oil engine to pump water in our local parade. It has a grease seal which work good, just grease it. Is your pump like this? There is a short video on Smokstak if you want to see it pumping water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0932.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	225478  
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 05-15-2015, 03:12:40 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill Bob View Post

I need to know how the oiler or grease spring loaded canister works to lube the pump shaft. I took apart and cleaned old gunk out (grease). There is a screw cap on top of the small tube canister that has a T for screwing the spring inside the canister? A small diameter tube runs from this to the pump shaft area.

Is this some kind of pressure greaser and just keep turning the T screw to apply pressure to inject grease to pump shaft or bearings????

Windmill Bob
Sounds like you might be describing this type of automatic grease cup. The attached images are from a 1908 Lunkenheimer catalog. They made several different versions of this one but all operated about the same. Basically the idea is to turn the handle up to the top to allow the spring to push grease into the bearing when running and run the handle down to lock the piston when not not in operation. Take a close look at the images and what I am saying might make sense.

If your greaser is different try to post a picture of it.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IdealGreaseCup001a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	225484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IdealGreaseCup002.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	225485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IdealGreaseCup003.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	225486  
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Evans For This Post:
Old 05-18-2015, 06:48:18 PM
Registered

Thanks for reply. No, mine does not look like yours. Mine is mounted on a 2 wheel cart the can be pulled behind a pickup or small truck. Was owned by a County close to us and they put it on an auction several years ago.

Maybe it will not pump once I get it greased and running. Impeller (spelling?) could be bad but it does turn when I crank the engine.