Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Homelite 3" Trash Pump

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1212 times

Old 10-29-2015, 06:23:19 AM
Registered

Default Homelite 3" Trash Pump

One might think these are not so hard to find, but not sure about that. I bought this and finally got it running. I just wonder what model I have. I have found the 8S3-1R manual, but it is not an exact match. Riverside has manuals but no info on determining models. So any guesses on the year and model. I cannot find any placards showing the numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4950.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	237749  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2015, 10:31:29 PM
Registered

Default Re: Homelite 3" Trash Pump

I'm guessing here but it looks to be some sort of model 8 or model 9. That particular shade of green implies to me that is is probably from the 60's. The older ones were more green where that one has more silver in the green. The oldest ones were all silver and the last ones had different ignitions and were red-orange. They used the same engine on several things, mostly generators and pumps, both straight centrifugals as well as trash pumps. So the manual you have may be for a different pump but still using the same engine. Some of the 3" pumps used the smaller model 24a engine but that one is distinctly different from yours so you can rule that one out.

Those old Homelites are quirky engines. They're loud, they run at screaming speed but they're well built old machines and should be preserved. I've got four of the things, two 3" pumps, a model 24A engined one and one with either a model 8 or 9 engine (tag missing on mine as well), a 2500W 115VAC generator with a 24A engine, and some sort of military DC generator I assume is of WW2 vintage. That one's brand new and has never been run. And then there's the Homelite chain saws. I do like my Homelites.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:22:36 AM
Registered

Thanks for the response. The 8S3 parts books looks pretty close, but differs in a few places. I agree the motor runs fast and is loud. I have not pumped with it yet as I have a slight issue with it starting and running at full throttle and then when it warm some it slows down. I am wondering if the exhaust is clogged. It is rusted to the manifold and I have not got it off yet. I wonder does this machine have reeds?
Old 10-30-2015, 06:56:12 AM
Subscriber

Here is a link to a gang of Homelite Manuals. You might find something that matches your engine. Also note that the right side of page would have other products that will have Homelite products within that products manual.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=homelite
Old 10-30-2015, 11:53:11 PM
Registered

Dave,

Those engines have rotary valves, although the later ones did have pyramid reed valves. The rotary valve also incorporates a centrifugally actuated throttle plate of sorts, so you can (and should) run the engine with the throttle on the carburetor wide open, at least when you are pumping. The rotary valve/governor will take care of the rest. I don't know much about pumps but I do know that some can be damaged by running dry. There's some sort of ceramic seal in there at the shaft end that keeps the water in where it's supposed to be, and this is where the problem may exist, if it in fact does. I may be all wet on this (!) so if anyone else knows more please chime in and educate us!

Shane Zahn thank you for the link! I'm gonna check it out as well.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:10:36 AM
Subscriber

Water pumps in general have a mechanical ceramic shaft seal. It keeps the water inside the structure pumping or moving the water or other liquid or gas.
To my knowledge the seal has to be lubricated with the material that its going to pump, in order to avoid heat build up that will destroy the seal.
Most often something will melt, rubber or thermoplastic items used in the seal, or the impeller / back plate etc.
Some seals are very expensive & can be difficult to replace.
Therefore its advised to prime the pump first to make sure you have the seal lubricated & avoid damage.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Wate...w=1024&bih=489
Old 11-01-2015, 08:12:56 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I have it running so I need to through a hose on it to see if it pumps. Makes sense on the motor speed. When you pull the head you can see what seemed like a governor, but that must be the throttle plate. Thanks to all for the posts. Shane, I'll check the archive to see what I can fine