Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Using Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) as an Engine Flush

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 2298 times

Old 12-05-2017, 05:48:30 AM
Registered

Default Using Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) as an Engine Flush

Hi folks,
My topic might be weird for somebody. But, there is liquid called Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). We have this liquid in pharmacy in 100 ml (3.38 oz) glasses as a medicine by 80 cent. It is strong solvent and sometime they use it as a paint stripper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide
So, some of garage gurus in post-soviet countries use DMSO as a strong and very effective engine flush. I put pic as an example after flushing car engine after flushing with DMSO. Actually, some engine oil vendors put 3% DMSO to their product as a flushing agent.
The only concern is it can remove paint from any painted surface.
Since our engines as a usual are 20-25+ years old, I guess to cleaning the engine inside and rings are actual, at least for me.
Question: have anybody used DMSO for flushing our pretty old engines?

PS. This solvent works much better that any other engine flushes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d536839s-960.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	297674  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55:53 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Using Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) as an engine flush

It is used for horse liniment around here. I tried it on my elbow for tendinitis back in the day, when played sports. It burned the skin off. Must have used a little too much. True story. CK
The Following User Says Thank You to Charley K For This Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,708 Times in 2,415 Posts
Default Re: Using Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) as an engine flush

Be careful using DMSO. Make sure you wear rubber gloves and goggles at all times when using it as a solvent. While not toxic in itself, anything mixed with it can pass through the skin. It is commonly used in horse liniments and transdermal drug delivery systems to allow medication to pass the skin barrier and be quickly absorbed into the body.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 11:25:21 AM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Using Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) as an Engine Flush

Some engines have painted surfaces inside. You would not necessarily want to peel off the paint and send it throughout the engine.

Same with that cylinder head in the picture. I don't really care whether the cam shaft in between the lobes has deposits or not. Nothing comes in contact with it. I do not really like the idea of that getting loose and going through the oil pump and hoping the filter catches it.

Now if you had stuck rings, it might help save an otherwise junk engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 11:57:35 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,614 Times in 1,677 Posts

Kevin K you took the words right out of my mouth my cousin used to race horses and he was all the time using [DMSO] on them and a couple of times I used it on my body to promote blood flow ,in the Usa it is not FDA approved for use but I have read in other countries it is used for head trama patients to remove fluid and swelling from the brain something about [DMSO] IF IT IS PURE IT WILL FREEZE LIKE AT 50 DEGREES crazy stuff. far as a parts cleaner never tried it Thanks it can be bought at my local herb store.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:28:05 PM
Registered

I ruined a Corvair back in the early seventies by changing from non detergent oil to detergent oil. A chunk washed off somewhere and blocked an oil passage in the crank. The starved rod bearing seized up, broke the rod, and punched a huge hole in the crankcase. The car wasn't worth fixing, but I learned a lesson:
Don't half ass clean an engine without a tear down to do it right.

I backed my pickup up to it along side the freeway, tied a chain around the bumper of the Corvair and my truck bumper, with only a little bit of slack, and towed it to the junkyard by myself. Front of car looked pretty sad by the time I backed it up a few times maneuvering in the scrap yard.

Nobody has asked me to tow their vehicles since.

tom
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to geezer88 For This Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer88 View Post
...Don't half ass clean an engine without a tear down to do it right....
Exactly. An 'engine flush' is likely to do more harm than good. Pointless.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 01:38:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,022 Posts

Just remember, all the dirt and gunk the DMSO loosens up goes through the engines lubricating system and as I recall you have a 4.0CCK, it has no oil filter. DON'T DO IT!

geezer88, in the late 60's, my oldest brother had a NSU Prinz mini car that had the 2 cylinder engine and trans all in one case. My brother locked up the trans by the LA Airport. My Dad took our 1958 Chevy Nomad station wagon out to meet my brother. They found that they couldn't get the trans/rear wheels to turn so they both lifted the back end of the NSU up and set the bumper on the tailgate of the '58 chevy wagon. Towed that NSU about 7 miles home like that!
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/nsu-prinz-rhd.html
Old 12-05-2017, 02:00:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,227 Posts

Dad used to have a 5 gal pail of some solvent butylsalvaso ?? (spelling). He'ld add it to the oil when a car had sticky rings, was supposed to free them up.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:49:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,767 Times in 896 Posts

I used to have horses with an ex girlfriend... we used dmso... Don't ask how I know this, but be sure to wash your hands before using the can
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 02:46:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySailor View Post
I used to have horses with an ex girlfriend... we used dmso... Don't ask how I know this, but be sure to wash your hands before using the can
Roasting Chestnuts on an open fire? I can JUST imagine........

That's as bad as to what happened to me in my drinking days many years ago. My wife and I were coming home from Morro Bay, Ca to Atascadero and SHE was driving as I was well over the legal limit. The drive is a rural 12 miles from the coast to home. I had to stop about 3/4 the way home to relieve myself. We were in a wooded area and I made it down off the road to go. Little did I know that there was POISON OAK and my "Man Part" got exposed to it. Needless to say...........

Last edited by Motorhead; 12-06-2017 at 03:06:50 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 03:12:10 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,243 Times in 969 Posts

Have a transcript here somewhere re' some Congressional hearings on DMSO used for sports injuries---bruises, sprains,muscle discomfort, nothing with broken skin or broken bones...
Had a small container (gave to dau for gddau's soccer lumps and bumps, all used up and gone) so have no idea of potency for that use, but can say that except for almost immediate garlicy taste worked well...later told it was illegal to use on people...
I assume it was a diluted form as I recall smearing it on skin with fingers; washed hands but not applied area, no feelings of warmth or skin irritation after...
Some conspiracy people claim it was (is?) an industrial waste product, dirt cheap, kept off the market, except for animal use, because it works too well...
Never heard of it used as grease cutter or paint remover until today...
Old 12-06-2017, 05:56:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,008 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Just remember, all the dirt and gunk the DMSO loosens up goes through the engines lubricating system and as I recall you have a 4.0CCK, it has no oil filter. DON'T DO IT!

geezer88, in the late 60's, my oldest brother had a NSU Prinz mini car that had the 2 cylinder engine and trans all in one case. My brother locked up the trans by the LA Airport. My Dad took our 1958 Chevy Nomad station wagon out to meet my brother. They found that they couldn't get the trans/rear wheels to turn so they both lifted the back end of the NSU up and set the bumper on the tailgate of the '58 chevy wagon. Towed that NSU about 7 miles home like that!
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/nsu-prinz-rhd.html
The local Renault dealer, Tri Star Motors in Oakland, sold NSUs.
I was running at Fremont, and Tri-Starr brought a couple of Prinzes. The engine in the Prinz is a two-cylinder two-stroke mounted behind the rear wheels, ala Corvair.
And these cars proceeded to blow a whole bunch of minds!
They'd come to line, stage, redline the engine, (at what sounded like a billion RPM) dump the clutch... and pull the front wheels!
And they didn't break!

(I was just talkin' with my buddy's about his parents' '58 Yeoman)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:07:50 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,083 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySailor View Post
If Im understanding you correctly I had a similar issue using Xzlo(sp) I was hanging architectural precast and having to patch the holes by using a polymer epoxy and a stone to push in the hole to match the aggregate. My hands got the poylymer on them and I washed them with Xzlo. That was fine but I noticed I had gotten some on my pants and took a rag and was wiping it on my pants and it soaked through to the underwear. Well needless to say it started burning like crazy there was no water in the building and the McDonalds was about 2 miles away. I had my water jug poured the water down my pants and told the guy I was working with to take me to McDonalds to try and wash it off. He moved to slow I jumped in driving about 80 MPH ran into the bathroom dropped my pants and proceeded to try and clean up. Just then someone walked out of the stall. He must have though I was some kind of pervert. I was a little soar for a while The things you do when your young and stupid. Did I mention Zxlo burns.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55:41 AM
Subscriber

MBB, do you mean "xylene".

len k, if i remember correctly from a post a long time ago, i think you said it was
2-Butoxyethanol
Old 12-06-2017, 12:10:39 PM
Registered

I agree that you should be very careful about cleaning a dirty engine with a chemical flush.
Unless you are going to strip and clean the engine by hand anything that can clog up the lubricating system is likely to cause damage.

I religiously paint everything with Glyptal because I am trying to prevent rust and seal metal to avoid dirt I could not mechanically remove in place.
I also use it to prevent oil from weeping our of porris castings.
Anything that might break that adhesion is not going to be good for me
Better to do nothing at all except frequent oil changes and hope that over time the natural cleaning fot he additive package will reduce the problem.

See the post about the non detergent oil wash out issue on older engines bad keep this in mind though.
Use the right oil.

One more thing I build engine and carbs for going faster than I probably should.
Its a sickness in itself....
One of the things I do is use Devcon in a lot of ports and carb bodies I am reworking and then I seal this with Glyptal to prevent fuels from attacking the epoxy compounds ( Its also a good thin filler for voids ).

Back when I was young my Grandfather would not use modern oil in small engines because he feared it had too much cleaning power and would do more harm than good ( I disagree to this day with his choice ).
He did try carb cleaner, one time he used something new with LOTS of xylene or other solvent on a 20 Hp Johnson as a quick fix to a dirty carb.
This was a terrible idea and the solvent ate up the glyptal coating.
The particles went through the engine and ate up the bearings.
This only made his mistrust of detergents and additives worse.

Be careful what you do anything that works really well comes with risks.
That's why I think most companies that make cleaning products like this sell you things that really do not work all that well or all at once.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:17:11 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,902 Times in 3,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtmaster View Post
i think you said it was
2-Butoxyethanol
Sold as BUTYL CELLOSOLVE™
Old 12-06-2017, 01:22:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,227 Posts

That's the name I remember!!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:45:27 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Using Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) as an Engine Flush

DMSO was also an ingredient in WD-40! My wife's uncle used to spray his ankles with it to relieve pain from injuries suffered while he was a coal miner. It worked great for him, but his home reeked from the WD-40! There was a can in every room in the house (HISSSSS)! AHHHH!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 08:51:28 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,083 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtmaster View Post
MBB, do you mean "xylene".

len k, if i remember correctly from a post a long time ago, i think you said it was
2-Butoxyethanol
Yes maybe thats what it was. What ever it was it burned bad.