Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

United type A find from Dublin, NH - need some advice too

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 504 times

Old 09-07-2019, 07:20:02 PM
Registered

Default United type A find from Dublin, NH - need some advice too

Hello!

It's been a looooooooooong time since I last posted. I've been distracted by cars, bikes, my business, my now-teenage daughter, and just life in general.

Anyway, I realized that over the years I had acquired more than a few engines just because they where "there" and cheap, and that I hadn't touched many in 5-10 years, so it was time to thin the herd. So, I went to the Dublin show with 3 engines...a Collis, and Cushman Cub, and a Novo AG. Sold the Novo in a few hours, but the Cushman and Collis just sat.

Whilst walking around, I saw 2 sorry looking engines that obviously handn't been running in years, what appeared to be a United and headless Witte. Upon further inspection, I found that, other than the oiler and muffler, the United was 100% complete with no damage that I could find, and it had some original paint peeking out from a crappy brush job.

I didn't have the money, so I took a chance, called the number, and asked the gentleman if he might be interested in a trade. He said "sure", and was there in 3 minutes. He took a look at my Collis, we shook hands, and the deal was done. Straight trade.

I got the engine home and gave it a really close look. It still has the brass tag on the base (pic attached), which identifies it as a United model A, 3-4hp, s/n 158793.

I soaked it in PB Blaster and blew it off w/compressed air, and you can see the result. A CRAZY amount of original paint with readable decals. It even still have the gas tank. Bearings are tight, ignitor is loose, and yes, I HAVE THE MAG AND BRACKET!!!! The mag turns freely, and I freed up the mid-gear.

I found one small repair on a governor weight, no big deal, well done and solid.

I'm psyched that I got what appears to be a nice engine in trade for something that I was tired of looking at.

And now for the questions - The intermediate mag gear was frozed, and someone at some time tried to turn the flywheels, and sheared 2 teeth off. Does anyone make that gear?

The gear itself rotates on a shaft, and is held on the shaft by a cap. The shaft and the cap appear to be pinned into the cast iron bracket. Are they, or is it somehow threaded or ?

I tried to tap the pins out with a punch, but they weren't going to move. How do I get the gear off?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks...

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_184117_resized.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	343423   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_184123_resized.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	343424   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_184130_resized.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	343425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_184135_resized.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	343426  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Kirk For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2019, 07:22:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: United type A find from Dublin, NH - need some advice too

Pic of the mag bracket and gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_184149_resized.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	343427  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Kirk For This Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 07:25:56 PM
Registered

Also, the cam gear is in kinda rough shape...all the teeth are there, but there are 2 or 3 that are "iffy", missing half of the tooth or corroded down to half height. Anyone have one? I can probably get away with the original one...or maybe not, I don't know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Kirk For This Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 06:35:51 AM
Subscriber

Chris, I may have some of the parts you need, do you have part #s or letters for the cam gear, gov weight, and mag bracket, If so I can do some digging.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:32:42 PM
Registered

Tom -

Thanks for the offer. The mag bracket is marked HMB, and the cam is marked ACB.

All I need is the mag gear, the bracket is in perfect shape, although I haven't yet figured how to get the gear off the bracket.

Let me know if you have what I need.

Thanks...

Chris