Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Railroads and Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Railroads and Equipment Vintage Locomotives, Vintage Railroads and Cars, Equipment and Lore

Railroads and Equipment

Who Does This? Hint: It's NOT the Train

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 691 times

Old 09-13-2019, 11:26:23 PM

Thanked 20,697 Times in 5,986 Posts
Default Who Does This? Hint: It's NOT the Train

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 12:16:38 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,904 Times in 845 Posts
Default Re: Who Does This? Hint: It's NOT the Train

It's just a matter of time before the CSX trackage is forced to be relocated to bypass the street running.

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to Railroads For This Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 12:26:45 AM

Thanked 20,697 Times in 5,986 Posts

I cannot fathom the level of stupidity to not realize that thing is not a Chevette that can stop on a dime...….
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 01:41:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,942 Posts

I think that guy actually got better at maneuvering his trailer DURING that exercise!

The train was a block away when the guy turned onto the street, probably didn't even notice at first. Was looking at his parking spot, not a block away. That engineer was going nice and slow, and brought her to a nice easy stop to wait, probably with just a minimum set...
Old 09-14-2019, 09:42:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,100 Times in 1,934 Posts

WHO in the sam hell designed that street and rail setup in the first place? Dumbass's parking on the side of the street,the lane is not wide enough for any traffic that might be in the lane when a train desides to invade the lane, and no where for a car to go if in the lane? I don't blame the truck driver at all.he turns onto a street and suddenly has no where to go because of a damn train in his way. Roads are for vehicals,not trains,they are supposed to be on a track somewhere.
I worked for DOT,not the rail way. So I can't see things from the rail perspective.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:50:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,267 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
WHO in the sam hell designed that street and rail setup in the first place? Dumbass's parking on the side of the street,the lane is not wide enough for any traffic that might be in the lane when a train desides to invade the lane, and no where for a car to go if in the lane? I don't blame the truck driver at all.he turns onto a street and suddenly has no where to go because of a damn train in his way. Roads are for vehicals,not trains,they are supposed to be on a track somewhere.
I worked for DOT,not the rail way. So I can't see things from the rail perspective.
The train track was there first.

As the town grew the road ended up growing over the tracks. It wasn't that big of a deal until more modern times, idiots would get run over and the only people to care were the mechanics that repaired the engine and the families of those dumb enough to get hurt.

But yeah, at some point there will be an accident here and the town will 'demand' the railroad choose a different alignment that doesn't put the train right in the middle of the road. That or the railroad will insist that the town close off the road and turn the area into a courtyard, so the track can be enclosed by idiot fences.
The Following User Says Thank You to Odin For This Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 01:14:30 PM
Registered

Street running was once more common across the country. Over the years the various towns and cities have forced the railroad to relocate or be abandoned completely. Some places that still have street running of interest would be PA, OH, FL, KY, GA, SC, VA.

There are many more, but those listed are often on YT for dumb drivers vs trains.

Robert
Old 09-14-2019, 03:14:26 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,944 Posts

What gets me is the guy is trying to park in a clearly delineated no parking spot with his junky trailer. What does he think a big X boxed in means? Trailer parking spot?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:55:41 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

Here in Rockaway, NJ, we had 3 railroads and a trolley system that ran thru town. The trolley went straight down main street and crossed the 3 railroad tracks at one time. Cars and horse and buggys were always dodging the trolley! now the trolley is long gone but road workers are always hitting the burried tracks and roadbed under the pavement. 2 of the railroad no longer exist, but their road beds are now called 'black paths' by walkers and bikers alike. Nice scenery there. The 3rd rail system cuts thru near the center of town. The railbed parallels a major road and has a grade crossing thru main street. There are also 4 other grade crossings in town. One was recently closed, as it was a raised crossing that many tractor traailers got hung up on, including ont idiot that hit the hill at 40 MPH! he ripped out nearly 20 feet of track and destroyed his truck in the proces, even though there was a 4 foot diameter sign saying ;NO TRUCKS and a picture of the track.

The train also parallels a parking lot for a local tavern, and a restaurant. The train crew often stops the train and eats at Potbellys Restaurant, on the corner of main Street and the railroad crossing.. the tavern The mill Lane tavern, is actualy a converted stationhouse that used to serve the railroad. Now days, some patrons park too close to the tracks for the train to pass. You know that is the case, when repeated horn blasts ring out besides the normalblare of the road crossing signal. many years ago, a dumb azz parked his truck over the rails when the train came thru. When the bar owner told him to move his truck, he told the owner F--- Them, they can wait until I finish my beer. WRONG ANSWER! When he came out, he found his truck sitting sideways in the parking lot, wigh deep gouges in the reae and side. "What happenned?" he asked. The owner said "The engineer couldnt wait so he just pushed your truck out of the way with the loco. Sucks to be you!" Everyone in town knows not to block the tracks now! besides freight runs, the M&E also runs scenic runs for charities. There is an easter bunny run, a santa run and oother events they attend. They also work with our fire department, doing emetgency drilla in case there is a rail collision..One time we even had a mass casaulty drill using an old school bus and a freight train The bus was tipped onto its side and the locomotive run into the roof partially collapsing it. After it was all secured, the bus was loaded with kids with simulated injuries that was so very realistic that passers by thought they were real!

The train passes thru town with as much as 19 cars in tow, but goes slowly. One day they did an emergency brake test and the train skidded to a stop in about 20 feet. We do emergency drills with them due to the fact that the neighboring towns have NY central freight and NJ transit high speed trains running thru. We want to be able to provide mutual aid, should an acident ocur on one of those lines. We did have a derailment with injuries on NJ transit several years ago. The M&E also allows special use on the tracks now and then. last year we had a steam engine there for photographs on a river crossing bridge. The tracks had not seen a steamer since WWII! It sure drew a crowd!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 07:53:29 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,643 Times in 7,481 Posts

The Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo Ry. used to run right up the middle of Hatt Street in Dundas, Ontario. I went to high school there. They serviced a number of industries including Orenstein & Koppel - formerly Bertrams. The switches (turnouts) were also in the middle of the street with wooden covers over the moving switch points. It was an interesting operation.
They came up there every afternoon, just after dinner. People just expected them and drove accordingly. They also switched a quarry and the far end of the line, just up from our school. They pulled dolomite out of there for the steel mills in Hamilton.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 08:19:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,100 Times in 1,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
What gets me is the guy is trying to park in a clearly delineated no parking spot with his junky trailer. What does he think a big X boxed in means? Trailer parking spot?
I think he was trying to get out of the way of the train best he could and there was just no where to go.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:56:38 PM
Registered

My hometown of Kinston, NC had tracks down the middle of Shine Street to serve the tobacco warehouses on the banks of the Neuse River. Other towns in eastern NC that have or had tracks down the middle of streets were New Bern, Goldsboro, Wilson, Rocky Mount and surely many others. I live near the port in Wilmington and the line to the state port runs pretty much down Martin Street for a short distance. A spur from that line runs right down the middle of Front Street to serve one of the petroleum terminals on the Cape Fear River. I drive Front St. every day.

What is sad is this... in days gone by, a train slowly rolling down the middle of the street meant jobs. Freight had just been picked up from the factories on the edge of town or freight had just been delivered to another business in town. Now a train rolling along just pisses people off, people who don't know or care what the train may be hauling, they just want to get somewhere NOW. The city "leaders" here in Wilmington are spending money studying the removal of tracks within Wilmington, potentially costing millions of dollars so this town full of self-absorbed bungholes can get where they're going that much faster.
Kevin in NC

"There's nothing to ship, nothing to pack, just busted concrete and rusted track."
James McMurtry from "We can't make it here anymore"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bartlett0815 For This Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 03:11:18 PM
Subscriber

A Railroad and a city still working together.
That poor fella doesn't hook his trailer up very often or simply just doesn't understand it.
Most of us would've tucked that trailer in tight on the first try and went in for coffee, parked on the X.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duey C For This Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 04:21:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,942 Posts

Bingo to you both! Street running is cool. Something about riding on a locomotive down a street lol. It's just cool.

Keith
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 11:11:51 AM
Registered

Long gone now, But UPRR down 9th street in Modesto Ca used to be of interest to me. I had two VHS tapes on the Tide Water Southern/UP street running when I was a teenager.

It's really too bad none of the HO slot car track makers offered the sections with rails in the middle of the road. Only Tri-Ang in the UK with their Minic Motorway came something close.

I always thought there was an opportunity missed really. Walthers should bring back the Life Like Powerloc track and offer slot car tracks with rails for street running.

With today's electronics, It shouldn't be too hard to get the cars to stop to let the train go through town. Even the mishaps would be realistic though.

Robert
Old 09-16-2019, 09:58:42 PM
Registered

The Tri-ang Railways & Minic motorway street running track sections.

https://youtu.be/CnI3b9Enic8

The British sure did one up the American slot car track makers. They even had working traffic circles too!

I'm quite fond of Tri-ang have begun gathering some of it for a layout build. It's hard to incorporate the Minic Motorways too though into a 5X9 layout.

Robert