Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

Black Creek Auction...

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 4497 times

Old 06-13-2005, 10:34:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts
Default Black Creek Auction...

Well..... Did any of You Guys buy anything at the Black Creek auction...???? I saw quite a few Fellows I knew but it was so crowded in the sheds couldn't really tell who bought anything... I ended up with the PUKE Green 10 Hp F&J. It looked like it needed Help BAD.....

I thought prices were about average with conditions from Good to Terrible...
Old 06-13-2005, 09:14:45 PM
Registered

Default Re: Black Creek Auction...

Would like to see it. Bad green or not
Old 06-13-2005, 10:49:26 PM
Subscriber

Well OK.... You asked for it.... Head has been welded... Igniter missing, Mag looks like it was smashed in a fit of rage years ago.... Original truck has about 9 inches added to the front. A few bent spokes on cart... But that can be taken off and made right.

Last night got the Ex valve loose, added igniter, Set timing in the ball park. Rolled her over and sneezed a couple times then crud got under the valves and in the igniter... Gave igniter spring a half twist and worked the valves some to get crud out... then she came to life. Flywheels run Nice and after some Repair, Cleaning and Paint and battery/tool box she will be a decent engine... 1914 10 HP Model N Team Portable with Clutch pulley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eucklid 002.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2386  
Old 06-14-2005, 02:15:51 AM
Registered

Thanked 4,982 Times in 1,067 Posts

With a bit of work that will be a very, very nice engine. Congratulations
Old 06-14-2005, 09:48:52 AM
Registered

this was an auction I wish I attended, in looking over the prices, most engines went reasonable, and there were some deals that I saw and something's which baffled me. a complete all original Fairbanks Morse Headless on a factory cart with original paint sold for $400 bucks a real deal, a Headless which had been painted and the paint was pealing, still on an original cart converted to spark plug with a J mag went for $ 1,000 I cant understand that one. I saw an IHC M go for $ 75.00 I would have even bought it at that even though I don't collect them. There was a lot of talk about a 3 hp Battery Equipped Hit and Miss Fairbanks engine, I was surprised when it only brought $ 1,100 I figured it would bring at least $ 2,000 it was pretty complete, I hope the next time there is an auction this good it can be live Internet bidding, because it sucks to live so far away from all of "the good auctions"
here's my input
~Jonathan
Old 06-14-2005, 10:37:47 AM
Subscriber

Well... They had all the engines lined up in 2 large sheds. The weather was kind of questionable also. Due to the amount of engines it was about the only way they could keep them secured before the auction. So if you wanted something you would have to camp by it so when it sold you could get your bid recognised and tell for sure what you were bidding on.

The one I bid on started at 500 and I didn't even get in untill 1750 then went in 250 $ jumps to 3250. I only came after one so didn't even pay attention to lots of the others. Good thing I didn't as I might have ended up with more...

At the Krause sale it was easier to bid with the TV screens and all but for the 10 % Buyers premeum I will take my chances with the crowd...

The 10 HP F&J at the Krause sale went for 6250 and was a little nicer engine but for 3000 you can do a little fixing... Now we have a pair of 10 HP portables here at Ellsworth...
Old 06-14-2005, 12:53:20 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Widelo
in looking over the prices, most engines went reasonable, ~Jonathan
Where can I find the list of selling prices?
Old 06-14-2005, 01:01:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,792 Times in 193 Posts

I am working on my pictures and price report...I looked on Aumanns site and the prices posted there look to be incorrect ....I know...as the engines that I purchased are listed wrong.... and others that I bid on are less than where I stopped bidding....

I hope to have them up today...I just wanted to confirm some prices...
Old 06-14-2005, 02:37:30 PM
Registered

To Jonathan Widelo, I looked at the Fairbanks headless in question and it looked nice, but didn't have the original mag or ignitor (it had an aftermarket rotary mag with spark plug). It was still worth the money on its original cart. Also did you guys notice that by the time that the auction started that three engines were damaged from guys rolling the flywheels over against frozen parts. One engine had gear teeth broke, one had the rocker arm broken and an Associated air cooled had the bracket for the rocker arm broken. To anyone who doesn't know this already, when inspecting an engine carefully check all valves, rocker arms, etc to make sure they are free, and then slowly roll the flywheels watching to make sure all parts are free so nothing will be broken. Turing heavy flywheels can produce alot of force against the other small cast parts on the engine and if they are froze up the flywheels will win the battle. My father in law was interested in the Associated thea was broken. We still bid but didn't win it. It went for $1400 with broken rocker arm bracket on head. We did come away with one John Deere E for $650. Other than being hot in the sheds and hard to hear the auctioneer I thought it was a good auction.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:48:40 PM
Email NOT Working

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the 1 1/2 HP NOVO brought? The auction was a little far away for me to attend.
Thanks
Bob
Old 06-14-2005, 10:30:21 PM
Registered

I went to the auction on Friday morning and had a lot of fun buying things that I really did not need. The prices were very reasonable. On Sat. I bought a couple of engines a 1 1/2 Sta Rite and a 1 1/2 air cooled John Smyth. I thought the prices were reasonable considering the conditions.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:16:14 PM
Sponsor

Smile Re: Black Creek Auction...

Hi Ken, Told Ya it would look good in your collection, I Got that F & J 7HP
Very happy with that one, No CBW on factory cart unmolested. Even the factory decals are fairly good shape. paid $2100. . Perhaps this weekend it will come back to life. It won't take much.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:20:53 PM
Registered

Did anyone notice what the little homemade tractors brought?
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:42:51 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Witte
Hi Ken, Told Ya it would look good in your collection, I Got that F & J 7HP
Very happy with that one, No CBW on factory cart unmolested. Even the factory decals are fairly good shape. paid $2100. . Perhaps this weekend it will come back to life. It won't take much.
Well I'm Happy you got it... That will be a Nice one to keep as is with just a little carefull cleaning...

But I have no choice but to start over.... Under that Puke Green is some silver also It took 200 pounds of sand to do just one wheel... But I did get a little benefit out of it as I stack them up so the waste sand hits the lower ones making them take less... That paint is 1/8 inch thick in some spots...
Old 06-16-2005, 12:31:38 PM
Email NOT Working

Ken,

You might want to try a air powered paint scaler to get the paint off . they work wonders and save time trying to get it off with a sand blaster.

Bob out west on the high desert
Old 06-17-2005, 12:55:57 AM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts

Here's the prices:

http://www.aumannauctions.com/cgi-bi...0/category/ALL
Old 07-14-2005, 02:02:31 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,792 Times in 193 Posts
Post Re: Black Creek Auction...

I finally got some data uploaded...I am missing a lot of prices on the last page (had a phone call from NY while I was at the sale and couldn't be in two places at once)...

http://www.oldengine.org/members/sba...ekEngines1.htm

The auctioneer's results web site is worthless after lot #60 in their order (which started with the tractors) as of this time.

Also have pictures from the Baraboo swap, but no prices as I went back to my stuff and shot the bull.