Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Oil wells

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 5078 times

Old 08-08-2005, 03:38:26 PM
Registered

Default Oil wells

With the price of oil increasing all the time, has there been any renewed interest in oil wells in PA. and OH.? I have been to the oil museum in Bradford, and I know there are some wells in the area still producing small amounts. Even in south western Ontario you can still see some of the wells pumping as you drive along the highway. I know these are small producers, but the price of oil has doubled in the last few years, and maybe some well are again viable.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2005, 03:57:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: Oil wells

Not far from me - in the fields of Illinois - there are active wells pumping. I have recently even seen a couple still using Hit & Miss engines (looked like Fairbanks) driving them. They'll have a couple of bottles of propane standing next to them and they just chug away 24/7.
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO
Old 08-08-2005, 05:11:52 PM
Registered

I saw quite a number in eastern Illinois. Several running on well head gas. Stopped and talked to a nice guy in Grayville who repairs them. Saw quite a few for sale in oil field supply shops. They were quick to point out the differance between an old work engine and an antique engine. Looked about the same to me. I plan to run back over there when I'm back in Missouri in October. oil field engine

keithw
Old 08-10-2005, 11:54:25 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Oil wells

Well, theres never been $60 oil before now. So the small independant producers are coming out of the wood works! I work in the oil industry, selling NEW single cylinder gas engines for oilfiled use. And this company hasnt been this busy its its 50 years of doing bussiness! The high price of gasoline sucks! But, it is nice to see the little guy actually make some money with AMERICAN oil. www.arrowengine.com
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13:18 PM
Registered

Exclamation Re: Oil wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
I have been to the oil museum in Bradford, .
Thats a cool museum.
I helped cut the HUGE timbers under the rig when they built it. Must have been around 1970 or so. I was working on a set of tools. drilling to #2 sand & he asked if I could run a saw. glad I did I met a cool old guy that could still build a wooden spudder drilling rig
Old 01-28-2007, 10:21:47 PM
Registered

The high price of electricity is spurring renewed interest in low speed gas engines for use as prime movers. This has driven up the price of older gas engines like Arrow, Fairbanks, Ajax, etc. But it will save many of them from being scrapped. The real antique engines don't have a clutch that is compatible with pumping units made in the last 70 years or so. Some Honda and other lightweight aircooled engines are turning up in the oilfield, along with Chevy 350s and the multcylinder engines from Arrow. I'd like to see if one of the India Listers could be run on clean crude oil/distillate for intermittent pumping service like many gas wells require. You'd need a clutch, though.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:06:17 PM
Registered

Here's one about 40 minutes North, on the highway that runs by my house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transfered2 045.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	16078  
Old 01-29-2007, 06:48:52 PM
Registered

That's an old Lufkin jack, maybe 1920s-1930s. Looks like a 346 or 503 Fairbanks Morse powering it. Nice!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:03:53 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,666 Times in 1,666 Posts
Photo Re: Oil wells

I have a couple movies on You Tube that show some 35 H.P. Superiors pulling multiple wells. I talked to the owner of the oil lease and he told me that each well only brings in about 2 barrels a week. Each engine is hooked up to at least 20 wells. Some of the wells have to rest and let the oil seep in or they have to pull a vaccuum on them. Also the EPA is getting on them about the salt water they are getting. I have a picture of the owner with oil on his shirt from removing the vaccuum and the backwash got him. Here is one of the short movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1RCE2eNQ7M
Old 01-30-2007, 12:37:45 PM
Registered

The old wells are indeed still producing. McClintock Well #1, the oldest well in continuous production (1861), Rouseville, PA, produced 6.3 barrels on August 1, 2006. Permit applications for drilling both oil and gas is way up in Pennsylvania and old wells are being cleaned out. One member of the Pennsylvania Independent Petroleum Producers (PIPP) has reactivated his old Bucyrus Erie and is drilling new wells. He had one of his Reid engines vandalized a couple of years ago and so couldn't pump those wells until he found replacement parts. . .just a reminder that engines that look abandoned just might not be!!! The Reid engine which pumped McClintock still is not running due to parts being stolen from it a few years ago. We're almost there but in the mean time had to install an electric jack to pump it. We've stripped the engine and put all removable parts in storage. Visit Drake Well Museum in 2007 because we'll be closed 2008-March 2009 for building renovations and new exhibit installation!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:27:13 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Geyer View Post
Here's one about 40 minutes North, on the highway that runs by my house.
Hey Bill, that pumpjack wouldn't be on FM 51 near Decatur would it? If it is, that is a 346 Fairbanks. I have a few pictures of it also.
How is the Ajax deal coming?
Allan
Old 02-03-2007, 03:48:36 PM
Registered

I saw an old single-reduction Lufkin unit yesterday over near Ranger. It has an electric motor on it with a home-made jackshaft to get the speed down.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:27:44 PM
Registered

Hello Allen, thats the one. Wasn't there a gas compressor station near there also on 51 with big multi cylinder Waukesha? Seems like they built it only about 5 years ago and now its all gone but the slab.
The seller and I were all set up and the mover backed out, I reckon Jack and I can move it but I want a pro to do it, who will take a forklift out there and do it right. All the ones that have told us of all the great stuff they have done in the past haven't returned our calls. It's not going anywhere and we'll get it sooner or later. Need another load of road base caliche to finish the pad to set the AJAX on. Now Jack's trailer is setting in the way, loaded with materials. We are going to put a lean to around the apron of the shop. I'll let you know when I get the AJAX.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:50:02 AM
Subscriber

Bill, there was a compressor station right on the edge of town. I don't know if there was too much noise from it or maybe the pipeline was extended and they had to move the compressor station. At one time there were 3 big compressors there.
Patrick, where are you located in Texas? I am from Weatherford and Bill is from the Granbury area.
Have a good one,
Allan
Old 02-04-2007, 10:06:06 AM
Registered

I am in the Graham area, about 100 miles west of Ft. Worth
Old 02-04-2007, 05:51:22 PM
Registered

Went to the indoor tractor show a few times at Graham near the flight museum. Some nice folks there, gonna have to go back seems like there is always something to interfere. Hope to go to Glen Rose this coming week end its indoor also, mostly tractors not many engines. So I watch the pulls and look at tractors.(pretty much only look at engines at all the other Summer shows)