Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engines and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engines and Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engines and Collectibles

Maytag 72-D Eiseman magneto coil

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 4028 times

Old 07-24-2006, 10:15:19 PM
Registered

Question Maytag 72-D Eiseman magneto coil

Hello all,

I'm currently running my 72-D with a battery and motorcycle coil. I'd like to get the original magneto setup back together. The coil that came with the engine was an incorrect single plug coil. I am looking for either a good used two plug coil or a dead one I can take apart and see about rewinding.

thanks,

keithw
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2006, 10:31:54 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default Re: Maytag 72-D Eiseman magneto coil

Go to www.magnetoparts.com He is having new coils wound for the twin Maytags.

Kent
Old 07-25-2006, 10:52:06 AM
Registered

Correction, he was. I was on the waiting list for over a year then was told he was no longer doing them. A little frustrating since he still has his ad in GEM advertising them. Enough of that silliness, our venders are wonderfull, but like all of us things happen that are beyond our control.

I'm in the process of taking apart the incorrect dead mag coil apart. Looks to be pretty straight forward coil winding job. Working with 40 Ga wire is always a challenge but not undoable. The high tension lead outs on a two plug coil present some problems. I think the approach I would take is to make the secondary two seperate windings in series. That way the two output leads can be kept far apart and the chances of internal arcing would be reduced. Seems like a fiberglass spool would be a good start. Good high voltage properties and will make rewinding easier. I don't expect to get it right the first time.

keith
Old 08-27-2006, 01:22:12 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Red face Re: Maytag 72-D Eiseman magneto coil

The secondary on the 72 D and DA is a pass thru coil, it does not ground to the block. Hi tension goes thru 1 plug, the block, the other plug, and back to the coil. It has to jump 2 gaps. You probably will not have enough room for 2 independant secondaries will you? Space is at a premium on the twin coils. As for the other guy making coils, I bought one, and it would not fit behind the fly wheel. I contacted him to see if he shipped me the right one, and he told me he did. I tried to alter the outer shell to fit, but the secondary leadouts arced to the flywheel instead of the plugs. I too am looking for coils - for both the D and DAs
Andrew
Old 08-27-2006, 08:05:20 PM
Registered

My thought was to wind two halves on the secondary. Keeping the two high tension leads away from each other and away from the ground takes a bit of work. I can see why they had such a problem with them.

keithw