Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engines and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engines and Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engines and Collectibles

Maytag Carb Adjustment?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4577 times

Old 04-28-2007, 05:06:58 PM
bjaspud

Default Maytag Carb Adjustment?

I'm trying to get my first 92 running. The previous owner had it running several years ago. Right now I can get it to run on starting fluid but not on it's own.

Can anyone tell me the correct adjustment of the air needle. If I read old posts correctly it says to bottom the needle out and then back off or three quaters of a turn. Does that sound right?

I have spark and the points gap is set at .020".

Thanks
Spud
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2007, 05:18:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag Carb Adjustment?

Spud:: try this site.. http://www.maytagclub.com/ ...if you go to maytag restoration theres some good info..I'm pretty sure theres open-close on my needle..you want it open..probably checkball in pickup tube..There will be someone along to help you out more..Welcome to the Site..Byron.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:20:46 PM
Registered

If you have fresh gas mixed 16:1 with oil, and a hot spark, and it won't run the first thing I would check is the one way valve in the fuel tank. It is on a tube that sticks down in the tank from the carburetor. It should allow fuel to pass up the tube into the carb but not down into the tank.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:47:46 PM
Registered

I will tell you the FIRST thing to do is get rid of that starting fluid before you destroy that Maytag or any other two cycle engine.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:23:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

I strongly agree with Ed - Starting fluid (Ether) is too volatile and can blow up an old small engine. As a substitute, you can use spray carburetor cleaner, but use it sparingly since there is no oil in it to keep your 2-stroke engine lubricated. I would also agree with Bill & Byron that the first place to start looking would be the pick-up tube check valve ball. Make sure your carb to engine gasket is not blocking anything it shouldn't.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 04-29-2007, 08:17:02 PM
bjaspud

Gentlemen, Problem solved. It was as stuck check ball. Got it loose and she fired right up.

Thanks,
spud
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50:10 PM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Maytag Carb Adjustment?

NEVER EVER use carb cleaner to prime and start a 2 cycle engine It will destroy lubrication of all bearings, piston, crank, and wrist pin. Also, it can be just as destructive as ether, if the engine backfires into the intake My kids tried it on an old Homelite chain saw I USED to have - it suffered a complete melt-down in less than 30 seconds! Damage included: Burned out piston, burned out crank main bearings, ruined main seals, damaged Phenolic carb float.
Andrew
Old 05-01-2007, 12:11:37 AM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag Carb Adjustment?

To properly set the mixture - remove the pointer from the fuel needle. Locking both nuts LIGHTLY, gently turn clockwise, until needle os gently seated. Loosen and remove outer nut. Place needle pointer, so that it points to the right, 90 degrees from vertical When the outer nut is tightened, the pointer should be pointing straight to the right, parallel with the tank mount seam.
To run engine, fill tank to top, with fresh fuel.turn needle pointer 1/2 turn to the left (180 degrees). Kick engine over to start. As soon as engine starts, turn needle to right, until pointer is straight up. Adjust from that point, until engine runs best. VOILA - youv'e got it
Andrew