Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Army lauson?

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 3099 times

Old 03-18-2008, 07:29:41 PM
Registered

Photo Army lauson?

I was givin this lauson and I was just going to ask what model it was but when I got to take the pictures I noticed o.d. green paint in several places that was under the red. It is an odd looking set up I know the gas tanks not original, and it has an on off switch on the shroud. I want to know what model it is and if yall think it could be an army lauson?
You can see the OD above the pully on the pto side. I have more pictures I just reched my limit but if you nee more specifics just ask.

Thanks
Richard, The one banger boy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engines 051.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	31019   Click image for larger version

Name:	engines 052.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	31020   Click image for larger version

Name:	engines 055.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	31022   Click image for larger version

Name:	engines 056.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	31023  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41:29 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Army lauson?

Richard
With a six bolt head and from its general size, I would say it’s an RSC of some type. It has the Tillotson ML type carburetor and the crank case breather on the front and that tells me it’s an RSC as opposed to an RSH.

I find the oil fill extension tube in the back interesting. This implies that it was running in some confined space where getting to a traditional oil fill / check would have been difficult.

Also, there appears to be a speed adjustment rod (the vertical threaded rod visible “mostly” in the 2nd and 4th pictures) that I think attaches to the governor. This would imply that the engine speed was set and left and the governor would hold the engine speed through different loads. This would be characteristic of a generator, water pump, etc. where constant speed was required.

I can’t say if it was military or not. The RSC’s were built from 1937 through 1951 so it is possible.

Last edited by Craig DeShong; 03-19-2008 at 01:52:57 PM. Reason: specified carburetor type changed in text from MT to ML
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53:48 PM
Registered

Craig I appreciate the info, it does have an on and off switch on the shroud and all the army/navy generators also have the same switch. I took the shroud off and there is a lot of od green
Old 03-19-2008, 12:50:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

In your second picture (of the carb area) it looks like the block is aluminum under the red & green paint. Is it? A quick check with a magnet will tell you if it is. The shielded sparkplug cable is an indicator that this was once a military unit. It also looks like it has an extra capacity oil sump under it. Those are a nice find and generally meant that the engine was intended for long running - Such as a generator or pump.
Good luck with it!

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 03-19-2008, 12:59:34 AM
Registered

It is an aluminum block, do you think it was used in the war or post war. Im just thrilled its a military issue. do you think the gas tank holder on top is original or not.

THANK YOU JOHN
Old 03-19-2008, 09:37:43 AM
Registered

Hello all, nice engine Richard. Craig, I don't think thats an MT carb.

Last edited by Bill Geyer; 03-19-2008 at 09:45:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:15:33 AM
Registered

That's an interesting engine to a "Brit" like me, the crankcase and cylinder look identical to the JAP 2A and 2S from the UK and almost the same dates of manufacture, reckon one copied the other!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:57:04 AM
Registered

It is a Tillotson thats what it says on the top. As far as a restoration do yall think I should take off the tan holder? I was thinking making it look like a normal tank set up but Ill hang on to old one for the future if I find out otherwise. I need to know the dimensions of a RSC gas tank.

Thanks guys
Old 03-19-2008, 11:11:15 AM
Registered

Hi Richard.

The OD lauson i have is an RLA,which is smaller than the rsc.The dead give away that it was a military issue engine was the fact that on the tag its states 'Navy Department Bureau of Ships'.It was the power behind a small generator that i don't have.It had some traces (actually quit a bit) of olive drab paint so that's why i repainted it that color.It's quite a smooth runner,better than any of my briggs engines.

Craig DeShong and John Newan,Jr are quite avid lauson collectors(i'm getting there!) so they can provide a heck of a lot of info for you.I know i soak it up!

The rsc i have has a tilly ML1B carb on it so if that's what yours is it should date to around 1940-41, maybe a little later,maybe a little earlier.I would think your tank set up is not original,kinda looks home grown to me.Originaly it should have had the tank brackets mounted to the first two head bolts on the magneto side and the tank would have set across the top of the shroud.Tank looks like a lauson tank though.

Just my two cents worth,hope it helps.

Scott
Old 03-19-2008, 11:14:06 AM
Registered

Tank dimensions for a rsc tank: 4" x 8 1/2"
Old 03-19-2008, 01:50:37 PM
Subscriber

Bill

I believe you have caught me in an error of thinking one thing and typing another and I stand corrected. Reviewing my earlier post I realize I meant to write ML series Tillotson.

My understanding is that the ML series were on the RSC's and the MT's were (for the most part) on the RSH series. Sorry for this error that has probably added confusion to the issue.

Will some of you other Lauson enthusiasts confirm or correct this statement?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 04:45:28 PM
Registered

Exclamation Re: Army lauson UPDATE

Heres an update, I began trying to take off the gas tank holder and its being a pain in the ass. The carb is a model ML 1b. How in the crap are you supposed to get the carb off, because the nuts end up getting blocked by the carb? I lifted up the engine and on the base I found, RC 15-18 on the bottom any ideas?

Thanks
The one banger boy
Old 03-19-2008, 07:04:15 PM
Subscriber

one B B
Your problem is a common lament, wait till you try to get it back on

If you loosen both nuts a little, slide the carb back on the bolts, then loosten both nuts a little more, slide the carb back on the bolts, loosen both nuts a . . .

(you get the idea, right ?)

it will eventually come off.

As far as the casting number RC-15-18 I don't know. My RSC's don't have that base. I'm afraid at this point I, grasshopper, will have refer to the master John Newman, Jr. for a possible explination.

Any ideas John ?

Last edited by Craig DeShong; 03-19-2008 at 07:20:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:05:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,605 Times in 745 Posts

According to my Tillotson carb info, the ML-1B carb was used on unspecified model of Lauson engine(s) 1940 - 41.

Guess that was already mentioned by Scott.

Bill
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12:10 PM
Registered

Well I tried to get a spark, and no luck. I need to know whats next?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lauson 056.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	31117  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:53:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

No spark is a common problem - And usually easily fixed. Remove the flywheel and clean the points. Make sure they open .020". Check that with a feeler gauge. This will generally fix it. If you still don't have a spark, or it seems weak, you might need to replace the condenser. Don't worry about finding an original equipment one - as long as it will fit under the flywheel and bolt down securely, it will work.

Grasshopper Craig:
I have never paid much attention to casting numbers. Most times they do not correspond to the actual part number since the part number is for a finished (machined) part and the casting is a raw part. One thing to remember is that this is an optional base (P/N 20222) - not the standard one (P/N 20178).

OBB:
Does your base have a wire attached to it? If so, this is a low-oil level shut down switch. Pretty typical on military engines. You might disconnect this wire and see if you get spark with it off. It is a pretty simple float switch, but anything can fail....

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 03-19-2008, 10:45:00 PM
Registered

Theres no wire attached to the base. I would like to know what the job of the switch is on the shrowd and if it might affect anything. And I removed the crank shaft nut but I dont want to break anything, how would I remove the wico.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57:18 AM
Subscriber

1 B B
I have a Lauson RLA, probably also an army unit, with the same switch on the shroud. Your magneto has a circuit where current passes through the primary winding of the coil, and across the points to ground. The switch is wired into this circuit so that when it is in the “off” position, it shorts the points to ground so that the coil cannot develop a spark. The switch should be “on” to start and run the engine.

Some folks have had good success prying the flywheel off with opposing screwdrivers. Ever since breaking a magneto plate on a briggs engine, I have shyed away from this method. Other folks have had good results with this however, and someone else may respond with some details on this technique and you could give it a try.

I have always used a flywheel puller and it is fairly easy to make one of these. All you need is a flat, say ¼ in piece of steel plate a few inches across, a ¼-20 tap, and four ¼-20 bolts. Drill a center hole in the piece of steel and tap with the ¼-20 tap. Then drill three other holes in the steel plate so that when the center hole is centered on the crankshaft, the other three holes are centered over the three holes that Wilco has already drilled and tapped into your flywheel. These other three holes in your steel plate should be plenty large enough so that your 1/4 -20 bolts will pass through. Do not thread these holes. Thread a bolt through the center hole of your piece of steel so that it protrudes about ¼ in. through the other side. Place it against the crankshaft end, and then put some washers on the other bolts (the same number on each bolt) and then pass them through the other holes in the steel plate and thread them into the flywheel. Snug all three bolts down so that your plate is drawn up evenly against the end of the crankshaft. If you’ve done this correctly you should now be able to tighten up the three bolts, giving each bolt one revolution in turn, and this contraption will pull the flywheel off the crankshaft. It will come off with a “pop”, it won’t pull off gradually.

Last edited by Craig DeShong; 03-20-2008 at 08:19:02 AM. Reason: clarify some wording
Old 03-20-2008, 10:48:34 AM
Registered

yea I have a briggs flywheel puller so I try getting it off tonight.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:55:55 PM
Subscriber

wind rush i have often thought the same i wonder if jap bought the licence to build them in the uk i have some time today i will measure up both and see what comes of my time but they do look like brothers