Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Scale models / where are they now?

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 5520 times

Old 07-16-2008, 10:33:35 AM
Registered

Default Scale models / where are they now?

I have purchased, off of that other site, about 180 issues of The "Iron Men Album", ranging from the late fifties thru the 90's. I cannot believe the number of scale models there are, that have been built in those early years. Models that were built before people like Tom Terning offered castings to the interested model builder. My guest is this; where are some of those early builds?. If you know of any, lets have pictures along with where they may be at the present time, I think it would be an interesting to find as many as possible.

Thanks for your efforts!

I will start by saying that I own a 1/3 scale Case, built in the mid to late sixties bt John Stratman of Wilcox Ne. and finished up by John Sanger of Franklin Ne. Later to be revamped by myself to its current condition.(pic. of it at my profile.)

Robert M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scale_Case_RobertM.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	36074  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert M For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2008, 12:53:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,439 Times in 354 Posts
Default Re: Scale models / where are they now?

My father built a 1/2 scale freelance engine that was finished in 1954 which was fabricated like most of the models that era as Robert pointed out. We just got done putting a new boiler under it. It is now being enjoyed by the 4th generation of the Smith family. Here is a link to a previous thread about it.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47849

He also built a 1/2 scale Ottawa corn sheller and water wagon to go with with it.

This was 1 of many models that hung out in Pontiac in years past. A couple of others that I still see around are Jim Coyles HalfKeck and Harold Stark's Garr Scott and we all know where they are

Sparky is still as Pontiac. Built by Mr. Dierzen from Newark, IL I believe.

Jerry Stinebring's 1/3 scale Case and baler still shows up at Pontiac.

Haley's 1/2 scale Case still shows up at Pontiac.

Fosdick's 1/2 scale Case used to show up at Pontiac, but I haven't seen it recently.

These 2 1/2 scale Cases were built from Augie Otto's patterns

Here are a few from that era I would like to know the whereabouts:

Mr. Bloom's road roller and thresher. I think he was from the nothern IN, OH area.

Carter Dalton's Case and Nichols models. He was from the Attica, IN area.

Paul Cole's 1/3 scale Baker.

Ernie Miller's Baker 2" or 1/4 scale I believe.

There was a policeman from Attica, IN that built a beautiful 1/2 scale case but I don't think he ever showed it. He also built about anything else, but I remember the grandfather clocks especially.

Mr. Preiser's 1/2 scale from Gilman IL called Little Toot.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	36075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	36076  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BakerMaker For This Post:
Old 07-16-2008, 01:36:27 PM
Subscriber

My Grandfather Ole Aslakson built 2 scale models in New Rockford ND. They are still there and owned by my Grandma Isabelle Aslakson. The first one that he built was the 1/3 scale double cylinder Nichols. It was built around 1965. The other one was a 40% scale and was modeled of a George White. That one was pretty much finished around 1972 but he never did finish making the tenders on the rear. Both of them will be at the show and more than likely running in New Rockford Sept 19,20,21 2008.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George White For This Post:
Old 07-16-2008, 02:16:53 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts

George White,
I thought maybe you might like this picture of Grandpa's Nichols & Shepard rear mounted double model posted here?
Gary
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 07-16-2008, 03:14:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,933 Times in 594 Posts

My grandfather, Leo P. Huston built a freelance cross between a Nicholas&Shepard and an Advance. The cylinder came off of a Creder Popcorn machine and he used a Marsh valve gear. The cylinder lays the wrong direction also. but other than this, it does resemble a Nicholas&Shepard side geared engine.

Also, he built and I helped finish out a 1/2 scale 25hp SSG GaarScott, which is my Avatar. In recent years he started to build a 1/2 scale 31/50 Case thresher machine. However, as he says it, "I ran out of steam!" So I've inhereted that project and hope to have it completed some day...while Gramps is still with us to see it run.

Lawrence
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaarScott For This Post:
Old 07-16-2008, 03:25:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler View Post
George White,
I thought maybe you might like this picture of Grandpa's Nichols & Shepard rear mounted double model posted here?
Gary
where is this engine now? any newer pics of it? looks like a nice model!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Busfield For This Post:
Old 07-16-2008, 04:00:52 PM
Registered

Ben,
See Post #3 above.
Gary
Old 07-16-2008, 04:09:28 PM
Registered

This is a (quarter scale??? third scale???) model of a rear mounted Gaar Scott built by my late friend, Tom Stebritz, watching it running at a show years ago.

This is a 2/5 scale "Reeves" built by the late Haston L. St. Clair, of "the Reeves Bible" fame. It had to be his first try at a model steam engine? It is a single cylinder "Reeves" and owned by my friend Dave Witthar at Riverton, Wyoming. Dave is a great nephew of Haston. Haston built several model steam engines and I don't think a "half dozen" would be exaggerating? Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 07-16-2008, 04:16:58 PM
Registered

This has to be one of the earlier attempts at a free style model steam traction engine?

This is another "single cylinder 'Reeves'" my dad was building in 1958. He never got it beyond the air hose, shown attached. It sets in Mike's shed at "Wauseon West", Silver Creek, Montana. Gary
Old 07-16-2008, 05:04:39 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Busfield View Post
where is this engine now? any newer pics of it? looks like a nice model!
I do have newer pics but I still havn't figured how to post pics on here yet. I guess I am kinda slow at that technology.

***Just sent you a PM, we can take care of getting the pictures posted. Beth***
Old 07-16-2008, 08:48:03 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,682 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMaker View Post
My father built a 1/2 scale freelance engine that was finished in 1954 which was fabricated like most of the models that era as Robert pointed out. We just got done putting a new boiler under it. It is now being enjoyed by the 4th generation of the Smith family. Here is a link to a previous thread about it.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47849

He also built a 1/2 scale Ottawa corn sheller and water wagon to go with with it.

This was 1 of many models that hung out in Pontiac in years past. A couple of others that I still see around are Jim Coyles HalfKeck and Harold Stark's Garr Scott and we all know where they are

Sparky is still as Pontiac. Built by Mr. Dierzen from Newark, IL I believe.

Jerry Stinebring's 1/3 scale Case and baler still shows up at Pontiac.

Haley's 1/2 scale Case still shows up at Pontiac.

Fosdick's 1/2 scale Case used to show up at Pontiac, but I haven't seen it recently.

These 2 1/2 scale Cases were built from Augie Otto's patterns

Here are a few from that era I would like to know the whereabouts:

Mr. Bloom's road roller and thresher. I think he was from the nothern IN, OH area.

Paul Cole's 1/3 scale Baker.

Ernie Miller's Baker 2" or 1/4 scale I believe.

There was a policeman from Attica, IN that built a beautiful 1/2 scale case but I don't think he ever showed it. He also built about anything else, but I remember the grandfather clocks especially.

Mr. Preiser's 1/2 scale from Gilman IL called Little Toot.

Dick
Bakermaker,
Carter's Case, threshing machine, and water wagon are locked away in a basement, by a relative who does not show them. I believe that Edy Dalton has the Nickols.

Paul Cole's 1/3 scale Baker, it was at Rushville for a few years after Paul left us...it was shown by a gentleman from n central Ohio.

I would like to know more about a 1/2 scale Rumley that was from Monticello Illinois called "Stormys Steamer". I have never seen it only pictures. There were several 1/2 scale steamers built in the Attica Indiana area. I know where the patterns for them are but have not seen them or pictures of them. I believe that Leo Mann had the last one that was around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Casemaker For This Post:
Old 07-16-2008, 09:54:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,515 Times in 663 Posts

Here is a picture of my 1/4 ? scale Baker model. It was built by George Kiso from Fenton Mo. in the early 70s. I've ran it on air a few times, but it has not been steamed or seen daylight in at least 30 years. Now this has me thinking, I guess Ill have to work on it this winter and get it cleaned up and maybe fire it next summer. Its got to be a lot less work than the big ones.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Baker 004.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	36099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baker 003.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	36100  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Steve Kunz For This Post:
Old 07-16-2008, 10:31:46 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by George White View Post
I do have newer pics but I still havn't figured how to post pics on here yet. I guess I am kinda slow at that technology.

***Just sent you a PM, we can take care of getting the pictures posted. Beth***
George White,
Don't worry about being SLOW with this computer technology. I'm only HALF FAST! Gary
Old 07-16-2008, 11:05:53 PM
Registered

Gary and others,

The 1/3 scale 25 hp SRM GaarScott is now owned by Ron Holland. I got to see it last summer when I was down to Osage. I can see if Ron will let me take a photo or two of the little Gaar next time I'm down his way.

Casemaker,

I'd sure like to see photos of those engines you spoke of...as I'm sure all of us would. Especially the Nick!

Lawrence
The Following User Says Thank You to GaarScott For This Post:
Old 07-17-2008, 10:07:57 AM
Registered

I was sitting back and thinking about this. One of the early fella's to build scale models in the midwest had to have been Norman Nelson. Norman built some beautiful models, but the gem of his collection, in my opinion, is his 1/3 scale 25hp DRM GaarScott. I don't know all of the models he built, but what I recall from memory is this:
1/2 scale Advance - not sure of the hp though
1/3 scale return flue Huber???
1/3 scale 65hp Case???
1/3 scale Avery seperator
1/3 scale Case seperator

There are a few more, I just don't recall which ones and what they were scaled after.

I also recall my grandfather talking about an unfinished 1/3 or 1/2 scale of a 25hp SSG Nick that Norman had started building either for himself or for someone else. Anyway, Gramps claims he saw the start of the Nicholas&Shepard years back when he was up at Norman's shop. However, when I asked the Nelson boy's (Norman's son's), they didn't recall such a model and said that it isn't amongst Norman's things. I believe they still use the shop in Rollag...but am not 100% certain on that either.

I don't know how many models Norman built for others. I believe he built a few boilers for other model guys to build their own model from. Norman made some of the most beautiful boilers. If memory serves, all or most of his 1/3 scale boilers were built out of 1/4" plate.

Lawrence
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaarScott For This Post:
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03:22 AM
Registered

I remember seeing a beautiful 3" or quarter scale 65hp Case my late friend Jack Kulish built at his farm shop and it was running there in 1955. He often brought it to the early Walter Mehmke shows in the 1950s and 60s. He also had it at the Tyler Ranch in September 1956 when we had the 40hp Gaar Scott running the last time. He was working on a scale locomotive, but I don't know whether he ever got it going or not.
Gary
Old 07-17-2008, 04:23:01 PM
Registered

The 1/2 scale Advance Norman built is of a 16 HP and also the half scale 28" Case threshing machine to go with it.The Huber is a 1/3 scale of a later 20HP. He also built (2) 1/3 scale Advance 22 HP, one is still at Rollag owned by the WMSTR. Also can't forget the 1/3 scale hand feed thesher he built. It works really well threshing oats. I also remember the start of the 25 Nichols and Shepard. It was started by Norman for a man in Minneapolis, long deceased, but he ran out of money so Norman never completed. Had wheels, cylinder, flywheel and a few more parts made. Richard Rorvig was building a sister to Normans Gaar Scott, and was maybe half done. It may be on his sale in September. Norman also assisted on many more models, including the 1/3 Russel that is at the show, the 1/3 scale Case built by John Cogswell, while he was in high school, about 1958, another 1/3 scale Case in northern Minnesota and a 1/3 scale 28 Minneapolis, and probably many more cylinders etc sold. Norman was a very patient man, giving many of us soon-to-be old timers a start in the steam engine hobby.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darrelld For This Post:
Old 07-17-2008, 04:26:11 PM
Registered

More memories for the old days is Rollag was Ben Hitterdahl. He had made 1/6 scale Case 65, Minneapolis 28, 22 Avery, a Twin City 40 and Minneapolis Universal gas tractors as well as a couple threshing machines. Would love to see those again. d3
The Following User Says Thank You to darrelld For This Post:
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40:11 PM
Nelson L Canham

I was going to take my 1/2 scale Altman Canton Monitor to Central States and was told it was a waste of time since I don't have a certified Boiler or at least Blue printed.U know I spent over 30yrs going to that show and now that I have something.I can not show it there.I am better off taking it to
Midwest Threshers and show it there.When U think about it that is why alot of those engines are not being showed.Here in Oklahoma alot of models was at the Pawnee Show at one time.This year my engine and Tony Benda's 1/2 scale 65hp
Case was the only models there.Yes I agree the engines should be tested but why all the other paper work.Someone needs to step up and get this straightened Up so more Models will be shown.Lets see what Real craftsmen are out there and what they can build.
Nelson from Oklahoma
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 07-17-2008, 10:10:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

I was hoping to see your Canton Monitor at Adrian this year. Maybe you can bring it to Forest City next year? From what I have heard, I am surprised you got it inspected in OK. I do agree with you, that the engines should be inspected and tested on their own merit. Most scales are actually way overdesigned, and as long as they were built correctly, I don't see why they can't be inspected and shown, even if they are not code boilers.