Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin VH4D Head Bolt Torque

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 15294 times

Old 05-14-2009, 11:18:21 AM
Nick Stanley

Default Wisconsin VH4D Head Bolt Torque

Hello all,

We've got a VH4D air cooled Wisconsin that cracked a head. The engine's number are below:

Model: VH4D
Spec No.: 395061
Serial No.: 5892756

I was wondering if anyone could post the head bolt torque from a service manual and the torque pattern? Should this head be torqued cold and then again hot? I just want to get it right so we don't have another cracked head. Thanks again.

-Nick
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin VH4D Head Bolt Torque

Nick,

The following is from my Wisconsin factory manual:

Before reassembling the cylinder heads, remove all carbon and lead deposits.

It is recommended that all new cylinder head gaskets be used on reassembly, as the old gaskets will be compressed and hard so that they may not seal properly. Use a mixture of graphite and oil on the cylinder head screws (bolts) to prevent them from rusting tight against the cylinder block. Tighten cylinder head screws (bolts) 22 to 24 foot pounds torque, and after complete assembly and engine is run in, retorque head screws (bolts).

I didn't find any mention of torque sequence or pattern so must not be of consequence.

In another part of the manual the run in period is described as follows:

The engine should be started and allowed to be run for about one half hour at about 1200 to 1400 RPM without load. The RPM should then be increased to engine operating speed, still without load, for an additional 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I assume maximum operating speed is 2800 RPM.

Hope this info is of benefit!

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Sherlock For This Post:
Old 05-15-2009, 08:45:48 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

There is a bolt torquing pattern in my INTERTEC Manual for large air cooled engines. I will try to describe: You start with the bottom bolt of the three in the center of the head, then the one above and slightly to the left of the left spark plug, Then the one above and slightly to the right of the of the right spark plug. Then follow the line of bolts to the left and around the head skipping the second bolt you tightened. When you get to the bolt on the right top of the head. this would be number 15 on the pattern. This is where the pattern get a little strange for you again tighten the four bolts that are in line at the top of the head, Yes you have tighted them before but you do it again and in order right to left ending at the bolt to the left and above the left spark plug. You are almost done. You now tighted the center three bolts starting at the top and tighten in order top to bottom. The last bolt you tighten is also the FIRST bolt you tightened. PLEAS USE ANTI-SIEZE COMPOUND ON ALL BOLTS.

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd For This Post:
Old 05-15-2009, 09:44:48 PM
eMail NOT Working

Kent,
Any luck with this head bolt tightening sequence for Nick? I've been Googeling and Wikipediki checking all night and it seem there's nothing on the subject.
Am eagerly awaiting your posting of this tightening sequence..
Thank you..

Gene
Old 05-16-2009, 08:39:16 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

I do not have a scanner and If I did I do not know the legality of scanning and posting copyrighted info. I did my bet to decribe the torquing sequence in an above post. This came from an INTERTEC Large Air-Cooled Engine Service Manual 4th edition. I think the Intertec P/N is ACPUS-4. The ISBN is 0-87288-330-2.

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd For This Post:
Old 05-16-2009, 01:10:27 PM
eMail NOT Working

Thanks Kent will draw up a diagram per your description and place it in my Wisconsin books..

Gene
Old 05-30-2009, 08:38:43 PM
Registered

I have VH4D service manual with torque pattern,but not sure how to get it to you as I am not completely computer literate. I am new to this type of site