Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Robertsonville Engine - The Prototype.

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3948 times

Old 07-03-2009, 04:24:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,164 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default Robertsonville Engine - The Prototype.

Here are more pictures of the very first Robertsonville ever built: http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/robert...e/page101.html
Actually the first engine was invented and made in Ste-Marie de Beauce, Quebec, 30 miles from Robertsonville, Quebec.
The inventor, still a teenager in 1910 was Jean-Thomas Bisson and he made the paterns for his engine's castings which he brought to the local foundry owned by J. Adolphe Lambert. The total production for J.T. Bisson's engine was one engine. He used it in his own repair shop.

A few years passed and J.A. Lambert moved his foundry from Ste-Marie to Robertsonville. Around 1913 Jean-Thomas Bisson also left Ste-Marie and took residence in Robertsonville. He was hired by J.A. Lambert at the Robertsonville Foundry.

Lambert had the financial resources and Bisson was a mechanical genius and the two combined their strenghts and abilities to build the Robertsonville engines. Bisson was in charge of building the Robertsonville engines which were very different from the prototype he had built 5 years earlier.

Robertsonville engine were not built in great number but they were built over a long period of time, possibly until the end in 1946 when the foundry burnt to the ground and was never rebuilt.

Last edited by Denis Rouleau; 07-04-2009 at 04:56:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 10:27:50 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: ROBERTSONVILLE Engine - The Prototype.

Very Nice indeed!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to oldironcollector For This Post:
Old 07-04-2009, 12:52:37 AM
Sponsor

Yeah, I got a couple R=villes. Dennis , you are doing a good job, We always wonder how things start. Hope to see you at Portland. M&WJoe
The Following User Says Thank You to M&WJOE For This Post:
Old 07-04-2009, 08:03:35 PM
Sky

wow thats odd. got counter weights like a motorcycle
Old 07-04-2009, 08:58:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,272 Times in 293 Posts

the crank is a different design .i guess back in the day this was a easy way to make a crank shaft .knowing now where this engine was made i sure they didn't have the tooling to make a normal crank shaft
or they were just trying some thing diffrent

wonder how much more power one gets useing a disk crank vs a regular with the same size flywheels
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00:16 AM
Subscriber

I was sent old pictures and additional info from relatives of the Bisson family of Robertsonville. To read about it and look at the pictures from another era please go to:
http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/robert...e/page104.html

Denis Rouleau
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Denis Rouleau For This Post:
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16:27 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,622 Times in 7,472 Posts

M. Rouleau?
Is the Québec company Forano still in business? If so, what are they making now? Also, is Dion Frères still in business.
Merci!
G.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:11:35 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,671 Times in 1,669 Posts

About 7 years back Forano was still in business. I had a LaFonderie de Plessiville 11 H.P. hit and miss engine. Looked exactly like a 9 H.P. Hercules. It had Forano embossed in the flywheels.
When I contacted the conseige he told me Forano made forklifts, forestery and logging equipment. Plessiville Canada claimed to be the Maple syrup capital of the world. I have some of a book on the history of the town that was givin me by the consiege and when I got it I couldn't read it because it was in French. Where Forano is now .

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,097 Times in 388 Posts

neat engine looks to have a fairly short stroke compaired to the length of the entire engine. i shure would like something like that
-Greg
Old 10-11-2009, 03:34:24 PM
Subscriber

I decided to part with the Robertsonville's prototype engine and let someone younger and more energical than me play with it. Brian P. who had accompanied me on the initial trip to Robertsonville to pick up this engine built by Mr. Bisson, came to pay me a visit yesterday.

I'm still not sure how it happened but Brian left as the new owner of the Bisson/Robertsonville prototype engine. I knew Brian would work on the engine and eventually get it going. I would also get to still see it around at local shows!

Well today I got a phone call and when I answered the phone I was surprised to hear and engine puffing away. Yes it was the prototype!

Its inventor, Mr. Bisson died in 1970 so the engine has not run in the last 40 years and probably for much longer.

Here are fresh pictures showing the engine running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bisson74b.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	64653   Click image for larger version

Name:	bisson75b.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	64654   Click image for larger version

Name:	bisson76b.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	64655  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Denis Rouleau For This Post:
Old 10-11-2009, 09:28:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,272 Times in 293 Posts

well Denis i wasn't planning on the engine either was just bring one up to you to bring to cool springs for me
but seeing it in your garage and knowing it was for sale thought better bring it home .as you know i was in no shape or mood to load it or get it going the my back held out long enough

i decided last night to unload it was looking it over there was no compression so turn the valves back and forth put some oil in the oilier and crank
turned it over and got not bad compression did it a few more times then it was great .

but saw dust coming out the exhaust
i knew this engine sat for years took the head off and saw a mouse put some kind of seeds in there good thing no nest as it pits the cylinder
there was a fare amount of carbon so this engine did run for years and there was wear on the rocker arm pin

i was going to stop there as the head had a repair i didn't like and had a small crack on the weld and knew it would leak. then decided to make a gasket this morning.

i just wanted to see the thing fire
played with the igniter for a bit it was stuck added a new spring put some gas and 2 spins off it went a little fast for the way i show them . put a softer spring on the governor.now it coast for about 7 seconds and is running all most to slow not bad for first try .
will take the head off and fix it up lap in the valves and make some kind of cart for it over the winter
it's a 4 1/2 bore 1 3/4 crank 7 1/2 stroke 18 '' flywheels
should make for a nice show engine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4586.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	64678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4591.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	64679